EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla AI Day and Dojo chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 06:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts
Default Tesla AI Day and Dojo chip

At A.I. day Tesla said their DPU (Dojo) will use 7nm they didn't say specifically but I'm betting that will be at TSMC. Speaking of Tesla they have been adapting chips from pretty much any source they can get and re-writing firmware depending on the application that's why Tesla is not being hammered by the chip shortage. To my knowledge Tesla is the only one doing this.

I had a crazy thought during A.I. day, Tesla should buy AMD. It's a perfect fit they both are making products for deep learning and Tesla is now using an AMD GPU. Cross pollination between Tesla's Dojo and AMDs GPUs and CPUs would be excellent. And even more amazing (and bizarre) is Tesla is doing photo real simulations that look like the best video game you've ever seen.

edit - good vid talking about DOJO

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-21-21 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 09:58 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

7 nm? 5nm is already in the pipeline for many semiconductor industry. Don’t buy into hype from Tesla they’re not going to change the world you won’t see any of this next 10 yrs.
Old 08-21-21, 10:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
7 nm? 5nm is already in the pipeline for many semiconductor industry. Don’t buy into hype from Tesla they’re not going to change the world you won’t see any of this next 10 yrs.
5nm is super useful for mobile applications because each node reduces power consumption noticeably. Tesla doesn't have the volume to order at 5nm and 7nm is dramatically cheaper as it's an older node now. The node you pick is due to cost consideration and their intended purpose. Lower doesn't mean better.
Old 08-21-21, 10:23 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
5nm is super useful for mobile applications because each node reduces power consumption noticeably. Tesla doesn't have the volume to order at 5nm and 7nm is dramatically cheaper as it's an older node now. The node you pick is due to cost consideration and their intended purpose. Lower doesn't mean better.
Wouldn’t you think with 15kw power consumption smaller 5nm node can reduce lots of heat? Tesla probably went with 7nm probably due to timing they have this chip in layout for yrs 5nm is pretty new.
Old 08-21-21, 10:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Wouldn’t you think with 15kw power consumption smaller 5nm node can reduce lots of heat? Tesla probably went with 7nm probably due to timing they have this chip in layout for yrs 5nm is pretty new.
7nm is much cheaper right now too and 5nm is really reserved for the Apple and Qualcomm's of the world. I think they are using 7nm as it's it has great power profile along with cheaper costs and availability.
Old 08-21-21, 10:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

i'm sure there isn't abundant 5nm manufacturing capacity worldwide right now.

oh, and ironic username
Old 08-21-21, 10:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

skip to 8:15 if you want to see the simulation, I'm kinda hoping Tesla starts making video games or at least allows their datasets to be used by game devs.
Old 08-21-21, 10:52 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm sure there isn't abundant 5nm manufacturing capacity worldwide right now.

oh, and ironic username
They stole my name lawsuit coming. Lol
Old 08-21-21, 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keWEE9FwS9o

skip to 8:15 if you want to see the simulation, I'm kinda hoping Tesla starts making video games or at least allows their datasets to be used by game devs.
great video. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-21-21, 12:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

More vaporware announcements, but Tesla fanboys are either paid fluffers or so easily gullible and easy to scam, I'd love to somehow cash in on it.

Tesla AI Day and Dojo chip-qnlreu2.jpg

Old 08-21-21, 12:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Lol, google Tesla AI day bingo.

Tesla AI Day and Dojo chip-iley65k.jpg
Old 08-21-21, 01:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
More vaporware announcements, but Tesla fanboys are either paid fluffers or so easily gullible and easy to scam, I'd love to somehow cash in on it.

I’m against government push of EVs but nobody can deny the brilliance of Elon Musk.
While he is not a typical CEO that sticks to conservative timelines etc, he is one of the most revolutionary ppl of our lifetime.

He singlehandedly changed the automotive industry. NASA is using his rockets for space missions that is besides all the other projects he has had influence in.

The data that all the Tesla cars have accumulated and the AI software is beyond anything other automakers can even dream of at this point. I think he has much bigger vision for Tesla than just being car company similar to Jobs with Apple not just being a computer company.

Ppl used to say the same crap about Steve Jobs to the point he got chased out of Apple.

Musk will admit himself he has had plenty of failures but when your shooting for something nobody has done that is bound to happen. I respect his vision and actually going out and doing it with his $$$$$ on the line. I would never bet against anything he is doing.

BTW if you want to cash in, just keep buying Tesla stock and hold it for next 10yrs.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-21-21 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 01:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great video. Thanks for sharing.
Except its cheating, lol.

Old 08-21-21, 01:54 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Haha, from the people who brought us pictures of parking lots as proof of no Model 3 demand. You just have to look reeeally hard, and if you don't see it well you just didn't look hard enough.

Last edited by sg021; 08-21-21 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I can't say i understand that twatter's tweet...

How do they know it's a "LiDAR rig"?
What does Miami have to do with it?
What is the picture supposed to be showing?

also Och, do you deny SpaceX has docked space ships at the space station and landed the boosters upright for re-use? Those accomplishments are amazing and required real science, real engineering, etc.

do i believe there's probably some smoke and mirrors in what's being presented? probably, but you'd think there would be plenty of former tesla employers being whistleblowers if it was total b.s.

Value Dissenter is no doubt shorting the stock. Lol

Quick Reply: Tesla AI Day and Dojo chip