EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Leaping into the BEV future

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 01:44 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Leaping into the BEV future

Many moons and cara ago, I had a 2013 Nissan Leaf. Had a terrible experience with it always worrying about range, which offset any tangible benefits in HoV lanes or fuel savings. In 2 years with the car,only out on 6k miles and even Nissan tried to pay us $10k to keep it after our lease (we declined).

Forward to this crazy last couple of years, as we were cooped up indoors with the pandemic, we started working in the house and added a 19kW solar panels to our roof. Theoretically this would not only make us net neutral in power usage from the grid.now, but also.ina future with an EV.

So we ordered a Tesla and Lightning to see if things pan out as much as we hope it woulit my 800hp Zupra will remain the sole ICE vehicle we have as I track it a lot.

For those that have transitioned to the EV life, how has it been? Any pointers? Any regrets?

Last edited by ST430; 09-16-21 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 03:23 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

My only complaint with going EV is the range drop in the winter since my 3s don't have heat pumps. It doesn't affect my normal commute or driving habits, but it is still annoying if I have to drive to a customer site which can be ~1-2 hours away. But given your geography and model year, that won't be a big issue. I did have an issue with my MCU dying in my 3P, but they were able to replace it in about a week. Also, not sure if it's still true, but my wife's 3 was hit while parked in a parking lot and it took over a month to fix due to a lack of replacement parts and the rental she had was anemic.

Aside from that, the ownership experience has been really nice. I wake up each day to my preferred charge (~80%), acceleration is insane, the ride is comfortable, superchargers are plentiful when I need them, and the car continues to improve via the OTA updates.

We overproduce on our solar as well so we have credits even after the addition of 2 EVs so it's nice to stop paying so much for gas especially as my old GS was not very fuel efficient. We used to spend ~$500 a month on gas for my wife's CX-5, my GS, and the Ody and now we're down to $80 monthly for the Ody. It's a really nice change.

We still do drive the Odyssey for far family drives and errands. Mostly for space reasons (double stroller and model 3 don't go well together), but also if it gets dinged in a parking lot, I won't care as much

Last edited by Allen K; 09-16-21 at 03:26 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 03:38 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I know this is going to come to us sooner than later. Geneva is speaking of blocking the center city areas to everything with an engine that isn't work related transport or safety department. I see Lausanne putting up 30 kph (18mph) by night and the different carmakers are all announcing their withdrawal from ICE until so and so.

The actual situation is, I have no place to charge an EV, not at my job, not at my rental flat home. Many old homes don't have private parking and must park them somewhere along the street ; I honestly don't see how it should work. There is no plan to upgrade in sight. When the infrastructure exists, I will change. For the moment, I find the lacking infrastructure to be a deterrant.
Old 09-16-21, 05:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

@ST430 Got a Tesla Model S 2 years ago. Absolutely zero regrets - it's not the greatest screwed together car in terms of panel gaps/fit/finish, however as far as the EV drivetrain/drive experience and cost to maintain/drive - it's simply unbeatable and the main reason why I got it.

I cannot ever go back to an ICE car again. It's that much better. Range has never been an issue , the charging infrastructure for Tesla's is just solid.

I always have this huge grin (the 'Tesla" grin) whenever I drive it. The relentless, instantaneous, totally effortless and buttery smooth acceleration and torque is simply mind blowing . I cannot get over that.
Old 09-16-21, 09:58 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Happy owner of a Polestar 2 Launch Edition since end of May. Absolutely NO regrets going full electric. My typically daily commute is under 100 miles, therefore no range anxiety whatsoever. Fit and finish and driving dynamics are top notch. I've had 3 hybrids, then a PHEV and now full electric. I will never go back to an ICE vehicle ever. My wife's Audi Q7 3.0T lease is up next year which I probably will replace with the Polestar 3 SUV coming out late 2022. Just my .02.
Old 09-16-21, 10:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Allen K is like my doppelganger on the east coast I spend about $80 a month on my Odyssey because there are no minivan EVs

What Tesla did you get? I have a Model 3 Performance and if you drive like a normal human being, you will get about 250 miles on a full battery. If you drive like me, you're more inline with 175-200 miles on a full battery. I usually just charge to 70% and drive about 50-100 miles so never worry about the range (don't even think about it). I love some of the advantages of the EV like sitting in a parking lot waiting for your kids and it will have AC/heat with no idleing or knowing that you are leaving soon and turning on the AC to cool the car down before you even get to the car.

Overall though, people make such a big deal about the vehicle being an EV but really, the experience is 99% similar to any other car on a normal day. Just cheaper on the wallet for fuel and maintenance.
Old 09-16-21, 10:33 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Once that ID.buzz gets released by VW, we'll be all over it
Old 09-16-21, 11:11 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Once that ID.buzz gets released by VW, we'll be all over it
If this is accurate they retained almost none of the charm we saw from the concept.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/532938/vw...zz-spy-photos/

Leaping into the BEV future-sfrkfsw.png
Old 09-16-21, 11:39 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

I'm currently driving an Odyssey which isn't a looker itself

The buzz that was shown during their autonomous vehicle announcement doesn't look too bad. Certainly not as much personality as the original concept

https://news.yahoo.com/vw-id-buzz-au...225300117.html
Old 09-16-21, 11:54 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

I am not sure I would buy both vehicles right away... Perhaps start with one.
The Tesla is a kick; ask any owner. After owning the Model 3, there are no ICE cars I would consider purchasing now, except a pickup.
I will keep the GS, as it is a great car.
One reason I would not consider the Lightning, is I have to be able to go to the dump and lend out our trusty Tundra. I would struggle with any beautiful new pickup.

You will love your Tesla! Keep us posted on what you get and when you get it.