EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla is 'irresponsible' for touting 'Full Self-Driving' features, NTSB says

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21 | 09:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Different links/sources/opinions don't all agree on what is considered the safest brand, but, in general, Volvo has had the best safety-reputation over the years, with Mercedes also ranking very high.
Without an engine in the front, the EVs have received higher frontal crash ratings and better rollover ratings due to the much lower center of gravity. You honestly can't get any higher safety ratings than what Tesla has been getting.
Old 09-20-21 | 09:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not the point.
Pretty sure making cars as safe as possible is the prime directive or should be.
Old 09-21-21 | 04:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
. You honestly can't get any higher safety ratings than what Tesla has been getting.
Sure you can. Tesla 3 is a very high safety rating. Tesla S is not. Other cars are higher than a Tesla. Over at NHTSA you have 5 stars for all three Tesla models

Old 09-21-21 | 06:33 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sure you can. Tesla 3 is a very high safety rating. Tesla S is not. Other cars are higher than a Tesla. Over at NHTSA you have 5 stars for all three Tesla models

You're referencing the old discontinued Model S. The new one has all the latest tech and features and will most likely score higher than the Model 3.
Old 09-21-21 | 06:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
You're referencing the old discontinued Model S. The new one has all the latest tech and features and will most likely score higher than the Model 3.
It doesn’t matter if I referenced an older model. It was mentioned that Teslas are the highest safety you can get…not so….
Old 09-21-21 | 06:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

It doesn’t matter if I referenced an older model. It was mentioned that Teslas are the highest safety you can get…not so….
If the new Model S scores as high as the Model 3, then you really can't score any higher than Tesla has been getting. There, fixed it for you.
Old 09-21-21 | 07:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This Tesla self driving stuff is not very good.

new study MIT.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/20/mi...-is-activated/

Old 09-21-21 | 07:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This Tesla self driving stuff is not very good.
The technology is as good or better than any other technology in the industry, they're a huge leader in this technology. The issue is that they present the technology to the consumer in an irresponsible way.

There is nothing about Tesla Self Driving that is less safe than the Distronic in my Mercedes...except that Tesla tells its customers that their car drives itself and Mercedes makes sure its customers understand that theirs dont
Old 09-21-21 | 08:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The technology is as good or better than any other technology in the industry, they're a huge leader in this technology. The issue is that they present the technology to the consumer in an irresponsible way.

There is nothing about Tesla Self Driving that is less safe than the Distronic in my Mercedes...except that Tesla tells its customers that their car drives itself and Mercedes makes sure its customers understand that theirs dont
Very well said.

@LexsCTJill continues with her usual comments about how much she "likes" Tesla on every single Tesla thread as well as her "factual" statements and predictions on the huge EV hype, how they are totally pointless and a waste of time and how "Toyota is the smartest person in the room" by sitting on the sidelines and actively lobbying against EVs all over the world.
Old 09-21-21 | 08:37 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Tesla may make the safest cars on the road but they're not 'full self-driving' and that's my issue.

I don't think the technology should be allowed on public roads till the capability has been quantified and validated. I personally don't want to share the road with a car that isn't self-driving but whose owner thinks it is.

I'm surprised we don't have more regulation around how the technology is vetted and demonstrated before introduction on to public roads.

Last edited by rosskoss; 09-21-21 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-21-21 | 08:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes, along wth Volvo, has a long-time reputation for safety that, despite the unreliability of some of the M-B products from the late 90s to the early 2010s, they are still trying to keep. And Mercedes doesn't have Elon Musk running it.
Old 09-21-21 | 08:38 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Thumbs up

Very well stated.
Old 09-21-21 | 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
I don't think the technology should be allowed on public roads till the capability has been quantified and validated. I personally don't want to share the road with a car that isn't self-driving but whose owner thinks it is.
Everyone has this technology at this point, Tesla just needs to be stopped from calling it self driving.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mercedes, along wth Volvo, has a long-time reputation for safety that, despite the unreliability of some of the M-B products from the late 90s to the early 2010s, they are still trying to keep. And Mercedes doesn't have Elon Musk running it.
But the technology is the same. Mercedes' technology is no safer than Teslas.

Originally Posted by Hameed
Very well said.

@LexsCTJill continues with her usual comments about how much she "likes" Tesla on every single Tesla thread as well as her "factual" statements and predictions on the huge EV hype, how they are totally pointless and a waste of time and how "Toyota is the smartest person in the room" by sitting on the sidelines and actively lobbying against EVs all over the world.
Agreed
Old 09-21-21 | 09:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Suppose Tesla chooses a different name. Tesla Pilot, Co-Pilot, Elon-E-Drive. Whatever. Would that really stop regulators from going after Tesla? I highly doubt it.
Old 09-21-21 | 09:40 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Suppose Tesla chooses a different name. Tesla Pilot, Co-Pilot, Elon-E-Drive. Whatever. Would that really stop regulators from going after Tesla? I highly doubt it.
Elon-E-Drive for the win!

Quick Reply: Tesla is 'irresponsible' for touting 'Full Self-Driving' features, NTSB says