EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla is 'irresponsible' for touting 'Full Self-Driving' features, NTSB says

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 11:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Capability. Is that not a word the average person understands in context? I guess not. And it says right there, requires active driver supervision.

Riddle me this, do you actually think a name change will stop Tesla being under extreme scrutiny? Look at the crash that involved "no one driving". Guess what actually happened, the people in that car were extremely drunk (verified). FSD was not enabled. They crashed into a tree and instantly every story out there was FSD killed two people. The first responders were CERTAIN no one was driving. The fire burned for hours before it could be put out. Oh, no that didn't happen.

So what is exactly going on here?

Yes Tesla should change the name just to get that monkey off their back but it will do little to stop the extreme scrutiny.
Old 09-21-21, 11:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Please. I as a very educated consumer who is WAY more knowledgeable about cars and these features than the vast majority of consumers look at that, and that tells me the car can drive itself. Capability means I should think it can't drive itself? Capability means it can. Come on...be real.

I absolutely agree that people jump at any opportunity to run a negative story about Tesla, and most of it is totally unfair...but that doesn't change the fact that this marketing of this feature is dangerously misleading.

Old 09-21-21, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My wife happened to walk by my office and I called her in, showed her that screenshot I took from the Tesla site, and asked her "If you selected this feature on your Tesla, what would you assume your Tesla would be able to do?". She looked at it for a second and said "I would assume it could drive itself". I then asked her what "driving itself" means, and she unprompted said "I should be able to sit in the back seat and have it drive itself". Thank you.
Old 09-21-21, 12:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Then I guess I'm dead wrong. Won't be the first time.
Old 09-21-21, 12:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you're letting your enthusiasm for Tesla cloud your judgement here.
Old 09-21-21, 01:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe, but don't think I am. To me it is very clear what FSD does, and every Tesla owner I've talked to and seen on YT fully 100% understands what FSD is all about. None of them for 1 second think they can snooze in the back as the car drives. And that is where I think the divergence is, people that do not own a Tesla make assumptions people that actually own and use FSD are fully aware of the capabilities and limitations.

BTW I will again say, I am not a Tesla enthusiast I am tech enthusiast. 3 days ago I bought more Lucid shares.

Also I frequently see people confuse the beta with what 99.9% of people are using.
Old 09-21-21, 01:05 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My wife happened to walk by my office and I called her in, showed her that screenshot I took from the Tesla site, and asked her "If you selected this feature on your Tesla, what would you assume your Tesla would be able to do?". She looked at it for a second and said "I would assume it could drive itself". I then asked her what "driving itself" means, and she unprompted said "I should be able to sit in the back seat and have it drive itself". Thank you.
This has been my experience with every non-car enthusiast.
Old 09-21-21, 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Maybe, but don't think I am. To me it is very clear what FSD does
I just dont see how someone can say with a straight face that calling something "Full Self Driving" shouldn't make someone think that it can fully drive itself.

And that is where I think the divergence is, people that do not own a Tesla make assumptions people that actually own and use FSD are fully aware of the capabilities and limitations.
Yet we have evidence of people abusing this feature on Teslas, and accidents where Tesla drivers were admittedly relying on their Tesla to be able to drive itself.

As Teslas become more mainstream you have to understand that more and more people who are not enthusiasts are going to buy them. People you have talked to and certainly people who post YouTube videos about them are not common consumers.
Old 09-21-21, 01:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I just dont see how someone can say with a straight face that calling something "Full Self Driving" shouldn't make someone think that it can fully drive itself.
Fine, that's what it says and everyone takes it that way. And by extension it makes the car more dangerous and results in more crashes and deaths.
Old 09-21-21, 01:12 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

The thing that I don't understand is how in the world did Tesla's lawyers allow such language to be used.
Old 09-21-21, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Fine, that's what it says and everyone takes it that way. And by extension it makes the car more dangerous and results in more crashes and deaths.
Yes it does. Tesla needs to call it something that more accurately describes what it is.
Old 09-21-21, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriC
The thing that I don't understand is how in the world did Tesla's lawyers allow such language to be used.
Everyone at Tesla is a servant to Musk's whims. Musk says "it must be called that" and thats what its called.
Old 09-21-21, 01:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it does.
Got those stats handy?
Old 09-21-21, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Got those stats handy?
There are no stats, its common sense. Well, to everybody who looks at it objectively. If Tesla stops calling it that and is more honest about what the feature actually can do, then we will see if there is a reduction in issues and we'll have our stat.

Like you, I am a fan of technology. What Tesla does with this ridiculous naming scheme is hold this technology back from further adoption. What will happen now is the NHTSA will further regulate these features, private and class action lawsuits will pop up as people see an opportunity to get rich and that will result in them being reduced in functionality in the name of safety and the further development of them delayed. And...thats Tesla's fault because this ridiculous Elon-ego naming scheme has caught their attention. He cares more about fulfilling his own fantasies than he does being a responsible member of the automotive industry. THAT is Tesla's biggest flaw.

Why must it be called "Full Self Driving"? Because it gives Elon a boner that he created a "self driving car", even when thats a lie. Thats the ONLY reason. He's a child, a brilliant child...but a child.
Old 09-21-21, 01:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

There are no stats, its common sense. Well, to everybody who looks at it objectively. If Tesla stops calling it that and is more honest about what the feature actually can do, then we will see if there is a reduction in issues and we'll have our stat.

Like you, I am a fan of technology. What Tesla does with this ridiculous naming scheme is hold this technology back from further adoption. What will happen now is the NHTSA will further regulate these features, private and class action lawsuits will pop up as people see an opportunity to get rich and that will result in them being reduced in functionality in the name of safety and the further development of them delayed. And...thats Tesla's fault because this ridiculous Elon-ego naming scheme has caught their attention. He cares more about fulfilling his own fantasies than he does being a responsible member of the automotive industry. THAT is Tesla's biggest flaw.

Why must it be called "Full Self Driving"? Because it gives Elon a boner that he created a "self driving car", even when thats a lie. Thats the ONLY reason. He's a child, a brilliant child...but a child.
Sorry but you have no proof that he gets a boner from calling it "self driving car." You have absolutely no proof of that.

Quick Reply: Tesla is 'irresponsible' for touting 'Full Self-Driving' features, NTSB says