EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla is 'irresponsible' for touting 'Full Self-Driving' features, NTSB says

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 06:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
So you've basically admitted, in writing, to sexually abusing a robot, while also endangering him/her or whatever its pronouns are by not paying attention to the road.

I testified in the NHTSA investigation so I did my part!
Old 09-21-21, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

This entire thread is getting out of hand.
Old 09-21-21, 06:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This entire thread is getting out of hand.
Robot abuse is a serious issue.
Old 09-21-21, 06:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, that’s just absurd lol
If it turns out FSD makes a Tesla safer will you admit you were wrong? If it makes the car worse I'll admit I was.
Old 09-21-21, 06:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If it turns out FSD makes a Tesla safer will you admit you were wrong? If it makes the car worse I'll admit I was.
What if the Tesla robot is the FSD Stig? Does that make the Stig safer?

Old 09-21-21, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have no doubt the technology makes the car safer, but the name is misleading and dangerous. All I’m talking about is the name.

Funny how you use the abbreviation FSD, which stands for Full Self Driving so easily and just a few hours ago you said Tesla never called the feature that. You’re a trip.
Old 09-21-21, 08:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

deleted ........

Last edited by LeX2K; 09-21-21 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-21-21, 08:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Time for you guys to take the pointless back and forth to pm
Old 09-22-21, 06:56 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have no doubt the technology makes the car safer, but the name is misleading and dangerous. All I’m talking about is the name.
Before this thread gets locked, I just wanted to comment on how amusing it is that you keep having to restate this fact.

The tech itself is not the topic of the thread. Only the name and what it implies as a result, is.

Similar case, on a much smaller scale: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-dry-1.5782817

Tesla just needs to drop the name Full Self Driving in favour of something more accurate. Call it Co-Pilot or something. As long as it doesn't imply that the car can drive itself, Tesla as a whole will be all the better for it. Plus it's one less (perfectly valid) criticism that others can make.
Old 09-22-21, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Tesla just needs to drop the name Full Self Driving in favour of something more accurate. Call it Co-Pilot or something. As long as it doesn't imply that the car can drive itself, Tesla as a whole will be all the better for it. Plus it's one less (perfectly valid) criticism that others can make.
Issue is Musk isn't one to agree to do something like that
Old 09-22-21, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Elon-E-Drive for the win!
that would fit with the cult of personality.

This is right now on Tesla.com:

yup, the HEADING "Full Self-Driving Capability" (despite the 'fine print') is misleading and irresponsible. it clearly implies that if you spend the ten large you get this CAPABILITY. maybe they should have called it "Half Self-Driving Capability"

Riddle me this, do you actually think a name change will stop Tesla being under extreme scrutiny? Look at the crash that involved "no one driving". Guess what actually happened, the people in that car were extremely drunk (verified). FSD was not enabled. They crashed into a tree and instantly every story out there was FSD killed two people. The first responders were CERTAIN no one was driving. The fire burned for hours before it could be put out. Oh, no that didn't happen.

So what is exactly going on here?

Yes Tesla should change the name just to get that monkey off their back but it will do little to stop the extreme scrutiny.
what's going is outrageous, misleading, and irresponsible claims by a manufacturer leading to overconfidence and irresponsibility by some owners. are teslas 'safe'? sure! that's not the issue. and yes, even if tesla changes the name, they're still going to be under scrutiny because exaggerating claims have long term consequences on perception even when forced to retract them. i get WHY tesla made these bold irresponsible claims, to increase the perception that tesla is so far ahead of everyone else (they're not that far ahead), and to boost the share price and interest/demand in the cars themselves of course.

i think teslas are awesome and an awesome addition to the car market, but they shouldn't have done this. it wasn't even necessary.

Originally Posted by TriC
The thing that I don't understand is how in the world did Tesla's lawyers allow such language to be used.
elon is head engineer, he is the PR department and he's probably the head lawyer too. he became a full self-driving lawyer by paying $10K to get some podcasts.

Old 09-22-21, 01:56 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

I don't like the name Autopilot or Full Self Driving. And we have a 2018 Model 3 with EAP.
Having said this, the idea that people use tools as dangerous as cars in an irresponsible manner speaks as much to them as it does the name FSD.
More so, in my opinion. Driving is serious business.

Would you give a kid a .45 and not teach him how to use it?
Old 09-22-21, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Gun manufacturers don’t allude to a parent being able to do that.
Old 09-22-21, 02:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Would you give a kid a .45 and not teach him how to use it?
In the context of Tesla’s misleading naming structure. This makes no sense
Old 09-22-21, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Imagine if the gun was called a “Kids Play Gun”

Quick Reply: Tesla is 'irresponsible' for touting 'Full Self-Driving' features, NTSB says