EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

For you Washington, D.C. area Tesla Owners....a new dealership.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-21, 09:07 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
So I finally get a response from the Tesla guy that texted me asking to help me with any questions and I finally received a text back after two days and he couldn't be more unhelpful. I had three specific questions for him and the response I got back was literally just a link to the Tesla website. Again, why reach out to me via text and act like you are there to help me if you really aren't and can't be bothered. I know their product is so good that maybe they don't need to focus on these little things but come on.
If they want your business they need to earn it. Real simple. That's my 2 cents.
I can tell you, my experience with the local Tesla sales has been better than yours.
Good luck.
Old 10-21-21, 04:14 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
If they want your business they need to earn it. Real simple. That's my 2 cents.
I can tell you, my experience with the local Tesla sales has been better than yours.
Good luck.
The problem is if the product is very good, sometimes they don't have to earn it and the product is so good I can overlook some of the shortcomings but it has been pretty frustrating. After the useless texts from a Tesla rep that just sent me a link to the Tesla website, I ended up entering my information for a test drive Monday and the website said someone will contact me to schedule a test drive. Four days later and no contact from a Tesla rep I ended up calling to schedule an appointment and the rep said my appointment was scheduled yesterday and that someone called me about it. I told her that no one called me and she basically said someone did as if I was lying and confirmed my phone number. I told her maybe I missed the call but whoever called didn't leave a message. After my call with her I checked any missed calls I had and I called all of them back for the past three days and none of them were from Tesla. Nice way of dealing with a potential customer, basically putting me at fault.

Anyway, I finally have a test drive set up for this Saturday with a Model 3P since there are no Model S' to test drive. Thankfully I was able to get in after I was told I should have scheduled it earlier in the week for a good time frame for the test drive. I just bit my tongue as it wasn't worth arguing. I've never had such an exhausting time trying to test drive a car.
Old 10-21-21, 04:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The problem is if the product is very good, sometimes they don't have to earn it and the product is so good I can overlook some of the shortcomings but it has been pretty frustrating. After the useless texts from a Tesla rep that just sent me a link to the Tesla website, I ended up entering my information for a test drive Monday and the website said someone will contact me to schedule a test drive. Four days later and no contact from a Tesla rep I ended up calling to schedule an appointment and the rep said my appointment was scheduled yesterday and that someone called me about it. I told her that no one called me and she basically said someone did as if I was lying and confirmed my phone number. I told her maybe I missed the call but whoever called didn't leave a message. After my call with her I checked any missed calls I had and I called all of them back for the past three days and none of them were from Tesla. Nice way of dealing with a potential customer, basically putting me at fault.

Anyway, I finally have a test drive set up for this Saturday with a Model 3P since there are no Model S' to test drive. Thankfully I was able to get in after I was told I should have scheduled it earlier in the week for a good time frame for the test drive. I just bit my tongue as it wasn't worth arguing. I've never had such an exhausting time trying to test drive a car.
Wow...that is pretty bad. Unfortunately, I hear of similar issues with customer service due to lack of resources on their end. On the Tesla forums, you hear of really good service....and really bad service such as yours. I don't believe Tesla will solve these customer issues until it scales up more and its taking awhile for them to grow up a bit. For many people, good customer service is table stakes and if thats the case, Tesla is the wrong car company to buy from. I wouldn't expect things to improve on this for awhile so if it bothers you, i think you should seriously reconsider owning a Tesla.
Old 10-21-21, 05:40 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Wow...that is pretty bad. Unfortunately, I hear of similar issues with customer service due to lack of resources on their end. On the Tesla forums, you hear of really good service....and really bad service such as yours. I don't believe Tesla will solve these customer issues until it scales up more and its taking awhile for them to grow up a bit. For many people, good customer service is table stakes and if thats the case, Tesla is the wrong car company to buy from. I wouldn't expect things to improve on this for awhile so if it bothers you, i think you should seriously reconsider owning a Tesla.
Like I said, the product is good so I can deal with it. It’s not like I looking for good customer service, I just looking for some and I don’t like being talked to like I’m the idiot. Very similar to Apple for me, I have a love/hate relationship with them too but the product is good.
Old 10-21-21, 06:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Like I said, the product is good so I can deal with it. It’s not like I looking for good customer service, I just looking for some and I don’t like being talked to like I’m the idiot. Very similar to Apple for me, I have a love/hate relationship with them too but the product is good.
Hope you have fun on the test drive. See if you can put the car in Track Mode too so you can see some of the features there.
Old 10-25-21, 02:14 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Hope you have fun on the test drive. See if you can put the car in Track Mode too so you can see some of the features there.
So I was able to test drive a Model 3P and it was pretty cool. I did put it in track mode and the car drove very well. The seats were very comfortable (more comfortable than my M340) and the dampening as really good as well (less firm than my M340). Flooring it was really cool but I think it made my wife nauseous when I floored and and let off and then floored it again. The regen braking probably didn't help but we had it on the strongest setting. I know everyone says how great the sound system is in the car but I was a little underwhelmed but that really isn't a big deal and maybe my expectations were too high based on what I read.

With that being said, I am going to put a deposit on a Plaid tonight once I figure out the color we want. My wife nixed my idea of getting red which is what I really want so now it comes down to white or black with black interior and the normal 19" wheels. I really liked the red with the black accents but it is not meant to be. I probably would have leaned toward the M5 for the total overall package but I'm 7th on the list and who knows when I would actually get that car and what options would disappear when my allocation was ready. Do I really need a Plaid, well heck no I really don't, but I also didn't need a M50i X7 over the standard 40i but after I ordered my M340 and didn't check all of the boxes I feel like I don't want to skimp on anything else because there were only two options I didn't check off and I regretting it ever since I took delivery of the car. Such a dumb financial move over the regular S but YOLO.

Thoughts on red, black or white Model S?
Old 10-25-21, 02:25 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 813 Likes on 567 Posts

I'm on team red
Old 10-25-21, 02:28 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I'd go white.
Old 10-25-21, 02:28 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm on team red
LOL I know you are. I have seen a Model X in red with the black accents and wheels and the color looks so good. I guess I do have a few hours to wear her down a little. It really hurts that they don't have any Model S' in showrooms. They said they don't plan on getting any either as they are busy just trying to fill orders right now. There is a part of me that says, if we could just see it in person she would change her mind, but that is also wishful thinking.
Old 10-25-21, 03:05 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

LOL I know you are. I have seen a Model X in red with the black accents and wheels and the color looks so good. I guess I do have a few hours to wear her down a little. It really hurts that they don't have any Model S' in showrooms. They said they don't plan on getting any either as they are busy just trying to fill orders right now. There is a part of me that says, if we could just see it in person she would change her mind, but that is also wishful thinking.
I have red too. Its the most beautiful Tesla color ...also costs the most. I highly recommend PPF...at least for the front as Tesla paint is notoriously soft. For a car that expensive, I would just do the whole car

Also, I'm happy that you found the overall driving experience pretty good on the Model 3. Note that its stupid slow compared to the Plaid you are ordering...that thing will make the M5 feel like its in slow motion...at least in a straight line. I hear the Model 3 is still the better handler simply due to it being much smaller and lighter. On the flip side, if you do get that M5 before the Plaid, you can always cancel the Plaid and lost only $250 deposit (you can always not take delivery). There is a rumor that Track Mode is coming to the Plaid eventually but you may have to get the track package which removes the 163mph limiter but also get a different set of wheels and much more aggressive Cup 2 tires.

I can't image having a 9s car... Also, make sure you join the Tesla Motor Club forums and get a list of things to check out before you take delivery of the vehicle. Some days, the cars look high quality....and others, it looks like a Friday afternoon car after a couple beers post-lunch.
Old 10-25-21, 03:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I have red too. Its the most beautiful Tesla color ...also costs the most. I highly recommend PPF...at least for the front as Tesla paint is notoriously soft. For a car that expensive, I would just do the whole car

Also, I'm happy that you found the overall driving experience pretty good on the Model 3. Note that its stupid slow compared to the Plaid you are ordering...that thing will make the M5 feel like its in slow motion...at least in a straight line. I hear the Model 3 is still the better handler simply due to it being much smaller and lighter. On the flip side, if you do get that M5 before the Plaid, you can always cancel the Plaid and lost only $250 deposit (you can always not take delivery). There is a rumor that Track Mode is coming to the Plaid eventually but you may have to get the track package which removes the 163mph limiter but also get a different set of wheels and much more aggressive Cup 2 tires.

I can't image having a 9s car... Also, make sure you join the Tesla Motor Club forums and get a list of things to check out before you take delivery of the vehicle. Some days, the cars look high quality....and others, it looks like a Friday afternoon car after a couple beers post-lunch.
Oh I didn't know yours was red too! On PPF, I like how you like spending my money but I'm already ahead of you. My GTR is completely PPF'd and the front half of my X7 is too so I planned on getting this one done as well and thought about just getting the whole car done. I texted my PPF guy already and he has a black Plaid coming in after it gets a new front bumper since he said somehow it got messed up at the factory or upon transport so he wasn't sure if the black was metallic and said if it wasn't he would get another color.

Do you know if the black is metallic or non-metallic?
Old 10-25-21, 03:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe have your wife look at Car Chat? She might yield to some peer pressure. My next door neighbor has a pearl white Model S with carbon black looking wheels that looks VERY nice.
Old 10-25-21, 03:49 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Oh I didn't know yours was red too! On PPF, I like how you like spending my money but I'm already ahead of you. My GTR is completely PPF'd and the front half of my X7 is too so I planned on getting this one done as well and thought about just getting the whole car done. I texted my PPF guy already and he has a black Plaid coming in after it gets a new front bumper since he said somehow it got messed up at the factory or upon transport so he wasn't sure if the black was metallic and said if it wasn't he would get another color.

Do you know if the black is metallic or non-metallic?
Its solid black on Model 3 so I assume its not metallic but I don't know about the Model S. Are you getting the 21s or 19s? 21s look better but 19s give you more range. I wouldn't worry too much about range in the Plaid though...you'll probably get at least 250-300 miles per charge from 100%. It also has a very fast charging curve...i doubt you'll ever wait more than 15-20 min on a road trip.
Old 10-25-21, 04:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its solid black on Model 3 so I assume its not metallic but I don't know about the Model S. Are you getting the 21s or 19s? 21s look better but 19s give you more range. I wouldn't worry too much about range in the Plaid though...you'll probably get at least 250-300 miles per charge from 100%. It also has a very fast charging curve...i doubt you'll ever wait more than 15-20 min on a road trip.
I’m getting the 19’s because I want all season tires and there aren’t any for the 21” wheels. I may get some aftermarket 20” wheels since there will be more tire options and it should not cost too much more than the $4,500 Tesla charges for the 21” wheels. I will lose some range but it will look better.

I called my electrician and it looks like it’s going to be around $1,800-$2,000 to install the charger based on where my breaker box is and how long the wire needs to be run. I may install one charger on each garage bay just to future proof it since he will be in there anyway.
Old 10-25-21, 04:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I’m getting the 19’s because I want all season tires and there aren’t any for the 21” wheels. I may get some aftermarket 20” wheels since there will be more tire options and it should not cost too much more than the $4,500 Tesla charges for the 21” wheels. I will lose some range but it will look better.

I called my electrician and it looks like it’s going to be around $1,800-$2,000 to install the charger based on where my breaker box is and how long the wire needs to be run. I may install one charger on each garage bay just to future proof it since he will be in there anyway.
Thats expensive but the older houses tend to have breaker boxes away from the garage. Mine was $1500 because it was on the other side of my house but well worth it. I recommend the Wall Connector as its only $500 and the cable is long so it gives you options. I just keep my mobile connector in the car in case of emergencies but frankly, i never used it. Too many Superchargers around. I'm jealous of the air suspension on the Plaid as that makes the ride a lot smoother. With the 19s, i bet it rides very well.

Quick Reply: For you Washington, D.C. area Tesla Owners....a new dealership.