EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Dominates Consumer Reports' Most Satisfying Cars Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Historically, there's a group of vehicles that generate such enthusiasm that even the least reliable models have high owner satisfaction in the CR survey: Wrangler, Corvette, Charger/Challenger, Porsche, to name a few. The Tesla models score very poorly for reliabiliity in the same CR survey, so this is clearly a case of owners simply being excited enough about its upsides that they don't mind its defects.
Good ponts, LexWannabe. I mostly agree.....although Porsches, despite outrageous service-costs, do tend to be reliable......more-so than other German brands.
Old 11-16-21, 01:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Customer satisfactions takes into account everything but its very subjective. If you look at Land Rover, they are terrible in terms of reliability but people still love them and keep coming back despite the issues they have. Tesla is very similar, people love the cutting edge tech, being green, and the performance and are typically willing to make those factors a priority in satisfaction versus fit and finish for the most part.

I just hope my Plaid order comes in without many issues. There is a thread I'm following on the Tesla forums for the Model S refresh and it isn't pretty. Some issues include some ridiculous stuff like getting replacement tail lights because dead bugs are in there, windshield wipers hitting the hood upon engagement, the car not turning off, etc. and the service center in some cases is ridiculous and not helpful. Some have even said their Model 3 was much better built and that if they had to do it all over again they would have just kept their Model 3. I don't expect perfection but some of the issues look worse than Dodge.
Old 11-16-21, 01:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. Publicity and marketing hype. Teslas have been promoted and glorified so much in the press that, regardless of their actual sales/repairservice-experience, people convince themselves, in their own minds, that they made the right decision and spent their money well, even if, from a realistic point of view, they didn't. People like this are (sometimes) incapable of true Buyers' Remorse even if the product is deserving of it.
Does Tesla do marketing? I don't remember ever seeing any ad or promotion for Tesla. I guess their mall-located retail stores are their marketing?
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
CR satisfaction surveys are just one part of the whole puzzle
I just feel the infotainment aspect of the scoring has become too heavily weighted by CR, personally. It just goes to show how totally subjective that aspect of the scoring is. Someone buying a Tesla is much more likely to be more open to technology, and not bothered by the content of the infotainment screen and lack of hard buttons.

Last edited by tex2670; 11-16-21 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-16-21, 01:30 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Customer satisfactions takes into account everything but its very subjective. If you look at Land Rover, they are terrible in terms of reliability but people still love them and keep coming back despite the issues they have. Tesla is very similar, people love the cutting edge tech, being green, and the performance and are typically willing to make those factors a priority in satisfaction versus fit and finish for the most part.

I just hope my Plaid order comes in without many issues. There is a thread I'm following on the Tesla forums for the Model S refresh and it isn't pretty. Some issues include some ridiculous stuff like getting replacement tail lights because dead bugs are in there, windshield wipers hitting the hood upon engagement, the car not turning off, etc. and the service center in some cases is ridiculous and not helpful. Some have even said their Model 3 was much better built and that if they had to do it all over again they would have just kept their Model 3. I don't expect perfection but some of the issues look worse than Dodge.
Sounds like a risk...remember the Model Y and its quality issues. Just search this forum and you can see the carnage in the first year. Now?...barely hear a peep in terms of quality and reliability as the issues are resolved. All first year Teslas are big risks. 2nd year, they seem to fix the quality and 3rd year is when they actually make improvements in design and materials.

You can always not take delivery if you are unsatisfied with your car.
Old 11-16-21, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I just feel the infotainment aspect of the scoring has become too heavily weighted by CR, personally. It just goes to show how totally subjective that aspect of the scoring is. Someone buying a Tesla is much more likely to be more open to technology, and not bothered by the content of the infotainment screen and lack of hard buttons.
And yet, tesla does not offer sirius/xm, apple carplay, android auto, yet that doesn't ding their CR scores apparently.

All: let's face it, VERY few tesla owners seem to have buyer's remorse. I remember that one reviewer on youtube who got a model X with endless problems and eventually got them to buy it back and he got a rav 4 prime, but apart from that, i've not seen evidence of buyer's remorse... people love their teslas! And for good reasons! First off, those that buy them already have a usage profile and 'infrastructure' (home charging option, maybe lots of superchargers around them, not that many need them) that makes the tesla not inconvenient (usually at all), so all those range/charging objections are moot. Next, they love them because they're new and unique, they're obviously quiet (being electric), they're smoking fast, they're extremely reliable, and beyond the initial purchase, they cost peanuts to own. Other factors, the heavy battery down low means the center of gravity is low making the cars handle better than many expect them to.

Many of these plusses apply to other EVs that have come into the market too.

and with EV range, charging infrastructure, variety, etc. all improving, sales will continue to grow across all brands.

so again, not entirely surprising that CR reports tesla owners are VERY satisfied.
Old 11-16-21, 02:34 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And yet, tesla does not offer sirius/xm, apple carplay, android auto, yet that doesn't ding their CR scores apparently.

All: let's face it, VERY few tesla owners seem to have buyer's remorse. I remember that one reviewer on youtube who got a model X with endless problems and eventually got them to buy it back and he got a rav 4 prime, but apart from that, i've not seen evidence of buyer's remorse... people love their teslas! And for good reasons! First off, those that buy them already have a usage profile and 'infrastructure' (home charging option, maybe lots of superchargers around them, not that many need them) that makes the tesla not inconvenient (usually at all), so all those range/charging objections are moot. Next, they love them because they're new and unique, they're obviously quiet (being electric), they're smoking fast, they're extremely reliable, and beyond the initial purchase, they cost peanuts to own. Other factors, the heavy battery down low means the center of gravity is low making the cars handle better than many expect them to.

and with EV range, charging infrastructure, variety, etc. all improving, sales will continue to grow across all brands.

so again, not entirely surprising that CR reports tesla owners are VERY satisfied.
Very well said! 👍👍 My ownership experience mirrors this.
Old 11-16-21, 02:50 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sounds like a risk...remember the Model Y and its quality issues. Just search this forum and you can see the carnage in the first year. Now?...barely hear a peep in terms of quality and reliability as the issues are resolved. All first year Teslas are big risks. 2nd year, they seem to fix the quality and 3rd year is when they actually make improvements in design and materials.

You can always not take delivery if you are unsatisfied with your car.
Not a chance, I’m getting more antsy by the day. It was supposed to be ready at the end of this week and now it looks like the first week in December. I expect some quality issues but hope it doesn’t end up in service for a long time if I do have issues.

Customer service is definitely lacking though. My salesperson or whatever they are called sends me texts and I reply and it’s days before I get a return text. My friend just got his M3P and had the same experience but he emailed his person and never got a response and then one day he gets an email that his car is ready for pick up.
Old 11-16-21, 03:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Not a chance, I’m getting more antsy by the day. It was supposed to be ready at the end of this week and now it looks like the first week in December. I expect some quality issues but hope it doesn’t end up in service for a long time if I do have issues.

Customer service is definitely lacking though. My salesperson or whatever they are called sends me texts and I reply and it’s days before I get a return text. My friend just got his M3P and had the same experience but he emailed his person and never got a response and then one day he gets an email that his car is ready for pick up.
Sounds bad out there. It seems to be much better here but I have access to 4 service centers near me. Good luck on your delivery...take a lot of pics as you inspect the car and show the delivery person everything you want fixed right there. Then schedule the service immediately if there are any issues. If you let time go by, they won't do anything about the issues.
Old 11-16-21, 03:32 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sounds bad out there. It seems to be much better here but I have access to 4 service centers near me. Good luck on your delivery...take a lot of pics as you inspect the car and show the delivery person everything you want fixed right there. Then schedule the service immediately if there are any issues. If you let time go by, they won't do anything about the issues.
Good advice, will do.
Old 11-16-21, 04:58 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

I believe you identified many (most?) of the Tesla owners and experiences. Certainly me. Charging at home with solar panels is just about as good as it gets.
I would add that every Tesla owner I know has at least one ICE car as well.
Old 11-16-21, 08:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

excellent post

3 years ownership, a list of things i strongly believe this car can improve on but this is definitely one of the best cars i have owned for the purpose i got the car for. i think that's the most important, if it's misaligned then one can be driving a ferrari and think it's a horribly stiff and loud car. imho that's the thing that makes tesla so well received by most.

when a company is just starting like lucid or rivian, i think one can argue it's a hype (can go either way). given the number of tesla sold WORLDWIDE, it's quite silly to think it's a hype. the sales numbers would have proven something.
Old 11-17-21, 07:12 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by rominl
when a company is just starting like lucid or rivian, i think one can argue it's a hype (can go either way). given the number of tesla sold WORLDWIDE, it's quite silly to think it's a hype. the sales numbers would have proven something.
Good point about the sales numbers. It's also why I think it does not make any sense when folks say that owners like you and I are happy with the car just because of the hype.

​​​​@mmarshall compared this with his personal experience of owning a completely different brand - that makes zero sense even more so when he does not own one and has no basis to say a Tesla is not a good car and people just buy them because of the hype.
Old 11-17-21, 07:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Good point about the sales numbers. It's also why I think it does not make any sense when folks say that owners like you and I are happy with the car just because of the hype.

​​​​@mmarshall compared this with his personal experience of owning a completely different brand - that makes zero sense even more so when he does not own one and has no basis to say a Tesla is not a good car and people just buy them because of the hype.
There's absolutely a "hype" factor to Tesla, but ultimately, you have to be on-board with the entire EV experience. And Tesla was way ahead of the curve. Other lux brands have moved into the space, but many still don't have the Tesla range. If you are committed to an upscale EV, and that's more important to you than fit and finish, etc., then for many years, Tesla was the only real choice. Call that "hype" if you want, but I doubt many Tesla owners are buying just because it's "cool".
Old 11-17-21, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
You're off-base with this comment. People buy Teslas every day because of the hype. Now, obviously, it's not the only reason the brand sells....and I did not claim that it was. But, like it or not, hype is a significant factor.

You seem to be of the impression that only those who own or lease can speak credibly about a brand. Sure, that helps (always did)...but it is not a prerequisite by any means. For proof, look at Alex Dykes...arguably the best auto-commentator I have ever seen.
Old 11-17-21, 07:41 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're off-base with this comment. People buy Teslas every day because of the hype. Now, obviously, it's not the only reason the brand sells....and I did not claim that it was. But, like it or not, hype is a significant factor.

You seem to be of the impression that only those who own or lease can speak credibly about a brand. Sure, that helps (always did)...but it is not a prerequisite by any means. For proof, look at Alex Dykes...arguably the best auto-commentator I have ever seen.
And you're one of those buyers or have a very close relationship with someone that bought the car and know without any doubt it was mainly hype that drove the purchase decision?? Are you actually serious??? Wow is all I can say.

Quick Reply: Tesla Dominates Consumer Reports' Most Satisfying Cars Report