EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Dominates Consumer Reports' Most Satisfying Cars Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-21, 09:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Tesla Dominates Consumer Reports' Most Satisfying Cars Report

All of the models of Tesla made the most satisfying list...pretty amazing accomplishment from a manufacturer. Whats even more impressive is that most of Infiniti's lineup made the least satisfying car

I don't understand how people are happy with all that panel gap

Tesla Dominates Consumer Reports' Most Satisfying Cars Report

Consumer Reports typically focuses on Tesla's struggles, but its readers say Tesla's cars are the most satisfying.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:27am ET
By: Steven LovedayConsumer Reports recently published an article about the most satisfying cars, according to its readers. Essentially, CR surveys its members every year as part of its Annual Auto Surveys. One important question the survey asks is if the owner would buy the same car again in the future.

The Tesla Model 3 topped the top 10 list in this year's survey, which is impressive, especially considering it's expensive, it gets knocked for its build quality, it has controversial safety features, and it's fully electric.

That said, the Model 3 isn't the only Tesla on the list. In fact, all four Tesla vehicles made the top 10. So 40% of the cars on the list are produced by Tesla. Moreover, three of the top four on the list are Tesla's cars.

Only the Kia Telluride, one of the most popular and hard to get SUVs in the country right now, secures a spot with the likes of Tesla. It's great to see Kia near the top even though the Telluride isn't electrified. Kia is one of a few brands already producing several compelling electric or electrified vehicles. According to Consumer Reports, the list of the most satisfying cars is as follows:
  1. Tesla Model 3
  2. Kia Telluride
  3. Tesla Model S
  4. Tesla Model Y
  5. Mazda MX-5 Miata
  6. Lincoln Aviator
  7. Lincoln Corsair
  8. Toyota Prius
  9. Jeep Gladiator
  10. Tesla Model X
As you can see, aside from Lincoln, Tesla is the only brand with multiple cars on the list. CR also published a list of the least satisfying cars. Interestingly, some automakers that have a car on the most satisfying list also have one on the least satisfying list. This shows that these automakers aren't offering consistency across their lineups. Based on the list, this is true of Jeep, Mazda, and Toyota.
  1. Mazda CX-3
  2. Nissan Kicks
  3. Infiniti QX60
  4. Infiniti QX50
  5. Jeep Compass
  6. Nissan Pathfinder
  7. Chevrolet Trax
  8. Infiniti Q50
  9. Ford EcoSport
  10. Toyota C-HR
CR points out that the survey also asks owners about "their satisfaction with several specific aspects of their car ownership experience, such as comfort, driving, and ease of use when it comes to in-car electronics."

Keep in mind, much of the press we read every day about Tesla revolves around its car's lousy ownership experience, bad service, and complicated and frustrating technology features that are distracting and difficult to use while driving. However, it seems many owners wholeheartedly disagree.

This may be because people testing the cars don't typically get the overall ownership experience, they probably rarely deal with Tesla service, and they may not yet be comfortable with the car's futuristic tech features. Most cars today have Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. In fact, there are many knocks against Tesla for not offering the features. However, its owners seem satisfied regardless.
Old 11-15-21, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't understand how people are happy with all that panel gap
Simple. Publicity and marketing hype. Teslas have been promoted and glorified so much in the press that, regardless of their actual sales/repairservice-experience, people convince themselves, in their own minds, that they made the right decision and spent their money well, even if, from a realistic point of view, they didn't. People like this are (sometimes) incapable of true Buyers' Remorse even if the product is deserving of it.

And I speak of this from experience....I'm not making it up. I myself went through a stage where I was so enamored with the new FWD American compacts, back in the late 1970s and early 1980s (Plymouth Horizon/Dodge Omni, GM X-body Citation/Pontiac Phoenix, K-Car Reliant/Aries, Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz, etc.....) that in my mind, I knew how lousy the engineering and quality-control were in these vehicles, but simply was enamored by their promise of better MPG and winter-traction than the traditional RWD compacts of the time. It took me years to finally admit that I wasted some of my hard-earned money....and, by then, I was ready to join the Japanese-vehicle crowd.
Old 11-15-21, 10:37 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 952 Likes on 599 Posts

Historically, there's a group of vehicles that generate such enthusiasm that even the least reliable models have high owner satisfaction in the CR survey: Wrangler, Corvette, Charger/Challenger, Porsche, to name a few. The Tesla models score very poorly for reliabiliity in the same CR survey, so this is clearly a case of owners simply being excited enough about its upsides that they don't mind its defects.
Old 11-15-21, 10:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe
Historically, there's a group of vehicles that generate such enthusiasm that even the least reliable models have high owner satisfaction in the CR survey: Wrangler, Corvette, Charger/Challenger, Porsche, to name a few. The Tesla models score very poorly for reliabiliity in the same CR survey, so this is clearly a case of owners simply being excited enough about its upsides that they don't mind its defects.
Yep. No surprises on this list for me except for the Lincolns.
Old 11-15-21, 11:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yep. No surprises on this list for me except for the Lincolns.
Yeah the Lincolns surprised me too especially the Aviator which had well publicized initial production problems. Good to know that owners are satisfied with them.
Old 11-16-21, 04:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
  1. Tesla Model 3
  2. Kia Telluride
  3. Tesla Model S
  4. Tesla Model Y
  5. Mazda MX-5 Miata
  6. Lincoln Aviator
  7. Lincoln Corsair
  8. Toyota Prius
  9. Jeep Gladiator
  10. Tesla Model X
that is quite an eclectic mix.

CR, that most virtue-signaling of all publications, reflects its subscribers.
a toyota prius is still satisfying?

People like to feel good about their purchases. Few want to admit they got something not great.

Shocked the Model X made the list since a) there's so few on the road, b) i don't imagine CR readers owning them, and c) the huge number of reported problems.

regardless, well done tesla!
Old 11-16-21, 06:52 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Simple. Publicity and marketing hype. Teslas have been promoted and glorified so much in the press that, regardless of their actual sales/repairservice-experience, people convince themselves, in their own minds, that they made the right decision and spent their money well, even if, from a realistic point of view, they didn't. People like this are (sometimes) incapable of true Buyers' Remorse even if the product is deserving of it.
Right.

With a due respect, you don't own a Tesla and cannot speak from an owner's perspective with any authority about it being publicity and marketing hype.
Old 11-16-21, 07:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Right.

With a due respect, you don't own a Tesla and cannot speak from an owner's perspective with any authority about it being publicity and marketing hype.
Incorrect. One does not have to own a vehicle to simply see the effects that vast publicity has on it. I never owned a Prius, either, but the cult-effect that publicity and the media had on it was so obvious a monkey could see it. It became the poster-wheels for many teachers, professors, librarians, celebrities, and environmentalists.....similiar to what Subaru, to an extent, became for those in harsh winter climates.

I will, however, agree with you to some extent when it comes to things like experience with dealer service, sales-satisfaction, and other factors that the media generally doesn't get into.
Old 11-16-21, 07:51 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Tesla owner are rabid about their cars. There's a reason for it.

I see people mentioning reliability... Consumer Reports considers panel gaps as reliability; it is build quality and has nothing to do with reliability. Teslas are very reliable.
By the way, build quality has improved greatly.
Old 11-16-21, 07:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Incorrect. One does not have to own a vehicle to simply see the effects that vast publicity has on it. I never owned a Prius, either, but the cult-effect that publicity and the media had on it was so obvious a monkey could see it. It became the poster-wheels for many teachers, professors, librarians, celebrities, and environmentalists.....similiar to what Subaru, to an extent, became for those in harsh winter climates.

I will, however, agree with you to some extent when it comes to things like experience with dealer service, sales-satisfaction, and other factors that the media generally doesn't get into.
There comes a point when all the hype and marketing doesn't outweigh the ownership experience. Actual ownership gives clarity to the strengths and weaknesses of the car. Tesla has been the leader in owner satisfaction the last 3 years running and the surveys encompass multiple years of ownership. I think its safe to say that most Tesla customers LOVE their cars because most don't have any issues with the car and the experience is wonderful. The hype and marketing doesn't really impact the owner if they are happy with their car and its evident that Tesla owners love their vehicle. More than Lexus, more than Buick and more than any other auto manufacturer...this is simply truth through thousands of surveys.

Look at the people on this forum that have switched over and now praise their ownership experience. Almost everyone has universally said good things about the Tesla products that actually own them. Usually, you see a couple owners say that they have had bad experiences and don't want to buy it again from that manufacturer but its seems that is very rare amongst Tesla owners. I've had this car for 2.5 years and over 25k miles...still think its by FAR the best car i've ever had by a country mile and i've had multiple Lexus products and a boatload of Toyotas. Maybe...just maybe, Tesla products are actually pretty good.
Old 11-16-21, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
There comes a point when all the hype and marketing doesn't outweigh the ownership experience. Actual ownership gives clarity to the strengths and weaknesses of the car. Tesla has been the leader in owner satisfaction the last 3 years running and the surveys encompass multiple years of ownership. I think its safe to say that most Tesla customers LOVE their cars because most don't have any issues with the car and the experience is wonderful. The hype and marketing doesn't really impact the owner if they are happy with their car and its evident that Tesla owners love their vehicle. More than Lexus, more than Buick and more than any other auto manufacturer...this is simply truth through thousands of surveys.

Look at the people on this forum that have switched over and now praise their ownership experience. Almost everyone has universally said good things about the Tesla products that actually own them. Usually, you see a couple owners say that they have had bad experiences and don't want to buy it again from that manufacturer but its seems that is very rare amongst Tesla owners. I've had this car for 2.5 years and over 25k miles...still think its by FAR the best car i've ever had by a country mile and i've had multiple Lexus products and a boatload of Toyotas. Maybe...just maybe, Tesla products are actually pretty good.

Thank You. I respect your view, even if I don't totally agree with it. And there is also one other factor. Teslas, like other BEVs, would probably sell even better if more people had (or will have) access to reasonably-convenitent recharging....and if Musk himself acted more like an adult.
Old 11-16-21, 08:06 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

And I speak of this from experience....I'm not making it up. I myself went through a stage where I was so enamored with the new FWD American compacts, back in the late 1970s and early 1980s (Plymouth Horizon/Dodge Omni, GM X-body Citation/Pontiac Phoenix, K-Car Reliant/Aries, Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz, etc.....) that in my mind, I knew how lousy the engineering and quality-control were in these vehicles, but simply was enamored by their promise of better MPG and winter-traction than the traditional RWD compacts of the time. It took me years to finally admit that I wasted some of my hard-earned money....and, by then, I was ready to join the Japanese-vehicle crowd.
Marketing? I think I missed the Tesla marketing. Oh yeah, Tesla does not do advertising...
Based on your analysis, all cars must be terrible. We so stupid to like our GS350 and RX hybrid F Sport cars! And my trusty Tundra is actually junk, right?
Old 11-16-21, 09:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Simple. Publicity and marketing hype.
Tesla marketing budget, all time: $0
Teslas have been promoted and glorified so much in the press that, regardless of their actual sales/repairservice-experience, people convince themselves, in their own minds, that they made the right decision and spent their money well, even if, from a realistic point of view, they didn't.
No auto company is more maligned in media than Tesla.
Old 11-16-21, 10:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexWannabe

CR satisfaction surveys are just one part of the whole puzzle, there are other publications out there that do their own tests as well, when interpreting these claims, one should look at other sources as well. In different measures, in the same publication, CR's lists Tesla 16th out of all brands and scores 66 out of 100, behind Toyota by 8 points and even Chrysler is ahead I think Tesla is in the basement when it comes to long term dependability for JD Power. And I still can't believe that Edmunds reports that their Tesla S long termer had swollen lug nuts that needed replacing . There is also C & D long term testing that needed their Tesla towed because a power inverter failure. 2019, 2020 Tesla model S are in the red (lowest score) for reliability.

Anyways, good for Tesla to score in the top 10 for satisfaction

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that is quite an eclectic mix.

CR, that most virtue-signaling of all publications, reflects its subscribers.
!
How so exactly?

People like to feel good about their purchases. Few want to admit they got something not great.
!
100% true. Surveys and research can definitely be skewed.

a toyota prius is still satisfying?
!
588 mile combined range and no charging necessary. $1000 to fuel each year. Regular fuel required. Legendary reliability. All for $30k

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-16-21 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-16-21, 11:18 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
CR satisfaction surveys are just one part of the whole puzzle, there are other publications out there that do their own tests as well, when interpreting these claims, one should look at other sources as well. In different measures, in the same publication, CR's lists Tesla 16th out of all brands and scores 66 out of 100, behind Toyota by 8 points and even Chrysler is ahead I think Tesla is in the basement when it comes to long term dependability for JD Power. And I still can't believe that Edmunds reports that their Tesla S long termer had swollen lug nuts that needed replacing . There is also C & D long term testing that needed their Tesla towed because a power inverter failure. 2019, 2020 Tesla model S are in the red (lowest score) for reliability.

Anyways, good for Tesla to score in the top 10 for satisfaction
I don't see how other measures apply to this thread...your only post is to point out that Tesla is behind Toyota and Chrysler in an undisclosed ranking and then point out that its dependability is considered lower in JD Power. Nice trolling.

Quick Reply: Tesla Dominates Consumer Reports' Most Satisfying Cars Report