EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-22, 08:13 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Polestar has been around for awhile, it started out as Volvos performance division and evolved into an EV spinoff
That doesn't change the fact that it's an unfortunate choice of name, just like Oldsmobile. Doesn't help that 90% of the public, especially in North America, has no idea what a "Polestar" is outside of a strip club.
Old 02-15-22, 08:53 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

It was purely a marketing move. I get what you are saying, but it was smart because there are a lot of Tesla haters that wouldn't normally think of buying an EV just to spite Tesla, and they may consider this brand just to justify buying an EV and saying "it's not a Tesla". It just gives an alternative to people who don't like Tesla as a brand. Everyone already knows they are second to Tesla, that is already a given, at least for now
I thought the refences were on point because it seems mostly enthusiasts would understand the references. Do regular non-car people even know that Tesla and SpaceX are related and that Elon wants to colonize mars? It was specifically targeted at those that don't like Tesla which is what the Polestar target audience is right now. They will try to get the Tesla enthusiast later when their powertrain is up to snuff
Old 02-15-22, 09:01 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I thought the refences were on point because it seems mostly enthusiasts would understand the references. Do regular non-car people even know that Tesla and SpaceX are related and that Elon wants to colonize mars? It was specifically targeted at those that don't like Tesla which is what the Polestar target audience is right now. They will try to get the Tesla enthusiast later when their powertrain is up to snuff
That's pretty much my take
Old 02-15-22, 09:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Polestar logo resembles a celestial body but they mock Elon for trying to get to one? Self awareness classes Polestar.

Here's the problem. Polestar commercial has people talking about Tesla, free advertising.
Old 02-15-22, 09:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
That doesn't change the fact that it's an unfortunate choice of name, just like Oldsmobile. Doesn't help that 90% of the public, especially in North America, has no idea what a "Polestar" is outside of a strip club.
I had no idea that's what it meant. Maybe that's actually a selling point LOL
Old 02-15-22, 09:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I think the logo is supposed to be a symbol for energy. Energy in design or some marketing schlock. Does Polestar even need advertising? I doubt it.
Old 02-15-22, 09:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Polestar logo resembles a celestial body but they mock Elon for trying to get to one? Self awareness classes Polestar.

Here's the problem. Polestar commercial has people talking about Tesla, free advertising.
I think that was the point. You can't talk about EV's without the elephant in the room being mentioned. Do you notice how most EV threads end up Tesla threads? See, it's happening right now
Old 02-15-22, 09:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I think the logo is supposed to be a symbol for energy. Energy in design or some marketing schlock. Does Polestar even need advertising? I doubt it.
I actually think they don't, their best advertising is just being seen. When friends and people I know see it, they immediately ask about it, and friends want to take it for a spin. Just this Saturday I was at a wedding and one of my friends asked to take it on a quick spin, Nobody has ever come to me and said "can I take your IS350 for a spin?" People I've talked to like how it looks, and they love how it drives even better. They sold 29,000 last year, Polestar anticipates doubling that this year
Old 02-15-22, 09:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I actually think they don't, their best advertising is just being seen. When friends and people I know see it, they immediately ask about it, and friends want to take it for a spin. Just this Saturday I was at a wedding and one of my friends asked to take it on a quick spin, Nobody has ever come to me and said "can I take your IS350 for a spin?" People I've talked to like how it looks, and they love how it drives even better. They sold 29,000 last year, Polestar anticipates doubling that this year
Its a cool car and I would have considered one but I got my Tesla way before the Polestar was released. The Polestar 2 is at a weird place because its a sports sedan that competes with the Model 3 but isn't as fast and doesn't have its range. I think they need to be more competitive in power and range in their next iteration. I'm hoping the real gem is the Polestar 3 which has time to fix these issues and offers a better product than the Model Y. Polestar should have just licensed the Tesla Supercharger network...imagine how much better they would be doing if range anxiety wasn't an issue for first time buyers.
Old 02-15-22, 09:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its a cool car and I would have considered one but I got my Tesla way before the Polestar was released. The Polestar 2 is at a weird place because its a sports sedan that competes with the Model 3 but isn't as fast and doesn't have its range. I think they need to be more competitive in power and range in their next iteration. I'm hoping the real gem is the Polestar 3 which has time to fix these issues and offers a better product than the Model Y. Polestar should have just licensed the Tesla Supercharger network...imagine how much better they would be doing if range anxiety wasn't an issue for first time buyers.
There were definitely compromises I had to make choosing Polestar over a Model 3. Performance wasn't one of them because 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds is good enough for me, it was more range and efficiency, and better battery packaging I gave up. Charging is also not one of them because although Tesla has way more charging stations, I do 99.9 percent of my charging at home, and Electrify America has charging stations all over the Bay Area and SoCal. I've talked to a number of Polestar owners in the Bay Area that drive regularly from SF all the way to San Diego, and charging is not an issue for them, they will usually make two 30 minute stops and one 20 minute stop in South OC before heading on to San Diego.

I think the Polestar 3 will have better range, efficiency and performance from what I'm seeing. Plus they are planning on offering an SUV version. There is an update coming out for the Polestar 2 that they say will give a bit better efficiency and better regen. I'll take every little bit I can get!
Old 02-15-22, 09:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I actually think they don't, their best advertising is just being seen.
Agreed. Which is why I am not a fan of them pulling a legacy auto style advertising stunt it drags the company down IMO.
Originally Posted by EZZ
Polestar should have just licensed the Tesla Supercharger network...imagine how much better they would be doing if range anxiety wasn't an issue for first time buyers.
Was there ever a point where Tesla was going to license out their charging network to select companies?
Old 02-15-22, 09:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

There were definitely compromises I had to make choosing Polestar over a Model 3. Performance wasn't one of them because 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds is good enough for me, it was more range and efficiency, and better battery packaging I gave up. Charging is also not one of them because although Tesla has way more charging stations, I do 99.9 percent of my charging at home, and Electrify America has charging stations all over the Bay Area and SoCal. I've talked to a number of Polestar owners in the Bay Area that drive regularly from SF all the way to San Diego, and charging is not an issue for them, they will usually make two 30 minute stops and one 20 minute stop in South OC before heading on to San Diego.

I think the Polestar 3 will have better range, efficiency and performance from what I'm seeing. Plus they are planning on offering an SUV version. There is an update coming out for the Polestar 2 that they say will give a bit better efficiency and better regen. I'll take every little bit I can get!
I test drove the Model 3 LR and it was about 4.2s to 60...unfortunately, I also test drove the Performance and there is a massive difference in feel between 3s and 4.2s. From Polestar 3, I just want to have around 300 miles of range, quiet interior, and more space for the family. Also, an adaptable suspension would be nice as this would be our family vehicle for long road-trips.

Agreed. Which is why I am not a fan of them pulling a legacy auto style advertising stunt it drags the company down IMO.

Was there ever a point where Tesla was going to license out their charging network to select companies?
Tesla has always stated they would like to license out their tech. Don't really know if they were serious or not though...

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/elon...as-tech-again/
Old 02-15-22, 09:54 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla has always stated they would like to license out their tech. Don't really know if they were serious or not though...

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/elon...as-tech-again/
Didn't know about that at the time specifically. I'd say Tesla was serious since they are now going to be opening up Superchargers to all auto makers.
Old 02-15-22, 02:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

My counter point to that commercial. As soon as you mention or allude to a competitor you've already lost, you're admitting they are the leader. Tesla is not trying to get to Mars that is SpaceX. Tech has cross pollinated from SpaceX for things like the Plaid motors, and the technology for the gigacastings something Volvo is blatantly copying. Smart on their part but they are trash talking a company they are wisely copying. That's marketing I guess.

Every Superbowl ad talking about EVs only further legitimizes Tesla and other pure EV makers. And worse for legacy, it will make people not want their petrol cars. So what are they trying to achieve achieve exactly? I found it bizarre. The swipe at VW is justified, but VW sells a boat load of EVs compared to other legacy auto makers. Polestar should have stuck with bragging only about themselves.
To be fair, you are a huge Tesla fanboy. As someone who isn't, I thought the ad was great.
Old 02-15-22, 03:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
To be fair, you are a huge Tesla fanboy. As someone who isn't, I thought the ad was great.
Wow, I've been back for two days and out comes the same sexist insult. Gotta be going on 10+ times at this point. Well done.

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2