EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 07:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Sw, let’s drop the fanboy term here please. You can easily make your point without using a borderline derogatory term.

Lex2k, let’s also drop the ludicrous “that’s sexist” response. To be fair (insert Letterkenny), you have been an over-the-top aggressive defender against any remote criticism of Tesla or Musk in almost every EV-related thread on this forum. You’ve kinda given up any possible consideration for presenting a fair and balanced opinion on EV-related topics. Let’s try to reset that going forward please.
Old 02-16-22, 10:11 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,838 Likes on 2,398 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Lex2k, let’s also drop the ludicrous “that’s sexist” response.
I didn't make that rule, a senior Mod awhile back (possibly you?) stated exactly this.
To be fair (insert Letterkenny), you have been an over-the-top aggressive defender against any remote criticism of Tesla or Musk in almost every EV-related thread on this forum. You’ve kinda given up any possible consideration for presenting a fair and balanced opinion on EV-related topics. Let’s try to reset that going forward please.
I am an EV enthusiast not just a Tesla one how many times do I have to say this. Go back and read the Lucid thread where I said I hope Lucid is better than Tesla and forces the latter to be better.

Back to Polestar it looks like the Precept will become the Polestar 5 set for production in 2024-2025. Hope they actually make it.
Old 02-16-22, 03:49 PM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Polestar details bonded aluminum platform for Polestar 5

Here's the full release from Polestar:
  • Bonded aluminum platform developed in-house by over 280 engineers from Polestar’s UK R&D team based in Coventry, England; demonstrates Polestar’s industry leading in-house engineering and R&D capabilities
  • Bespoke aluminum platform unlocks exciting possibilities for Polestar; set to provide forthcoming Polestar 5 with class-leading dynamics, rigidity and safety features
  • Innovative manufacturing process accelerates Polestar 5 development schedule by allowing both body and platform to be built in unison, significantly reducing traditional lead times
  • Expanding UK R&D team expected to grow to 500 employees in coming months

GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN – 15 February 2022. Polestar, the Swedish premium electric performance car maker, has confirmed that the forthcoming Polestar 5 electric performance 4-door GT will feature a brand-new, bespoke, bonded aluminum platform.

Bonded aluminum is light-weight and rigid, offering superlative performance and environmental advantages. While this technology has previously proven labor-intensive and difficult to use in mass production vehicles without sacrificing quality, Polestar’s engineering team have developed an entirely new, faster manufacturing process that develops both body and platform in unison. Based in the heart of the UK’s Motorsport Valley in the Midlands of England, Polestar’s engineering team of 280 previously worked on projects such as Formula 1 race cars, low-volume vehicles and sports cars.

“Our UK R&D team is one of Polestar’s greatest assets,” says Thomas Ingenlath, Polestar CEO. “Their mix of engineering and technological expertise enables us to develop advanced, light-weight sports car technology with a creative mindset and a spirit that embraces innovative engineering. This will set Polestar apart in the years to come.”

By developing this technology for Polestar’s first in-house platform, the 4-door Polestar 5 is being designed with torsional rigidity superior to that of a traditional two-seat sports- or supercar. The decision to develop a bespoke platform has also enabled the brand to deliver a production model that remains true to the Precept concept car that inspired it.

As a result of the new materials and techniques involved, the body-in-white (completed platform and body) is expected to weigh less than that of cars in smaller segments. A lighter-weight body-in-white contributes to improved vehicle efficiency, real-world EV range and dynamic responsiveness, all while delivering leading safety levels. The new bonded aluminum platform will also help drive higher vehicle quality, platform rigidity and a faster introduction of the product to market.

“We knew we wanted this car to be light-weight, we knew we wanted high quality and we knew we wanted it quickly,” says Pete Allen, Head of Polestar UK R&D. “This architecture delivers outstanding dynamic and safety attributes, with low investment technology applicable to high production volumes.”

Development of Polestar 5 continues at a rapid pace, with global efforts led by the growing UK R&D unit, which will continue to play a critical role in enhancing Polestar’s in-house R&D capabilities. The R&D unit is expected to grow to approximately 500 engineers in the coming months. More information on Polestar 5 will be released in the YouTube documentary series “Precept: From Concept to Car” that details how the Polestar Precept evolves into the production car.

This announcement continues to strengthen Polestar’s position ahead of its proposed business combination with Gores Guggenheim, Inc. (Nasdaq: GGPI, GGPIW and GGPIU), which is expected to close in the first half of 2022.

Old 02-16-22, 04:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Polestar 5 is going to look something like this:

Old 02-20-22, 12:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Today did lots of running around which means lots of driving. On my way home this evening my wife wanted me to stop at the Safeway supermarket to pick up some items, they happen to have an Electrify America in their parking lot. I was down to about 62 percent charge, and I knew when I got home it would be after 11pm, I currently don't have a level 2 so it would probably need to charge to after 3pm to get to 90 percent, where I have the threshold set. Plugged in to one of their CSS fast chargers and went into the store. Came out around 15 minutes later and I was at 83 percent. Stopped the charging and was on my way.

​​​​​​The public fast chargers are easy to use, and they have 24 hour support. I wasn't sure at first how to start the charging, called the 800 number and they walked me through starting it from the app. I'm totally confident now going long distances, I'll most likely use my Polestar on my next trip to SoCal
Old 02-20-22, 08:30 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

been using EA charging since 1st week of ownership. did you get your free account from Polestar? free 30-min sessions. EA's charging stations have been very reliable. i would suggest you download their app if you haven't yet. you can monitor/control your charging from the app. this is yet another reason why I will always have at least 1 EV in the garage
Old 02-20-22, 09:43 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MDlexus
Bonded aluminum platform developed in-house by over 280 engineers from Polestar’s UK R&D team based in Coventry, England; demonstrates Polestar’s industry leading in-house engineering and R&D capabilities
LOL, a Swedish brand owned by a Chinese company with a car engineered by the Brits. Truly a global product.

It's quite ironic to me that Volvo beat Jaguar, Bentley, and Rolls to developing the first British luxury EV sedan.
Old 02-20-22, 10:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
been using EA charging since 1st week of ownership. did you get your free account from Polestar? free 30-min sessions. EA's charging stations have been very reliable. i would suggest you download their app if you haven't yet. you can monitor/control your charging from the app. this is yet another reason why I will always have at least 1 EV in the garage
Yes I have the free account. Costed me $0. Easy to charge using the app. Since I charge at home most of the time haven't needed to use the public chargers
Old 02-20-22, 12:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yes I have the free account. Costed me $0. Easy to charge using the app. Since I charge at home most of the time haven't needed to use the public chargers
I'm on a road trip now. Stopped for lunch and the charger filled the car in 15 min. Finished charging before my food even came out.
Old 02-20-22, 02:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm on a road trip now. Stopped for lunch and the charger filled the car in 15 min. Finished charging before my food even came out.
Public charging is so easy here, most supermarkets and shopping centers have them, just plug in prior to going in and you're charged by the time you are done
Old 02-20-22, 09:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Public charging is so easy here, most supermarkets and shopping centers have them, just plug in prior to going in and you're charged by the time you are done
Might be a dumb question but does it cost more to charge at a public charger than at your house or are the rates basically the same?
Old 02-20-22, 09:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Might be a dumb question but does it cost more to charge at a public charger than at your house or are the rates basically the same?
It's about 2-3x higher at a Tesla Supercharger. 4-6x higher at all the other stations. Tesla doesn't make margin off the electricity. They give it to you at cost.
Old 02-20-22, 09:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's about 2-3x higher at a Tesla Supercharger. 4-6x higher at all the other stations. Tesla doesn't make margin off the electricity. They give it to you at cost.
So basically no reason to charge anywhere but home unless you really have to.
Old 02-20-22, 09:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It depends. For me it's free to charge at any Electrify America for two years. Non members it's .40 cents per kWh, and a $4 a month membership it's .30 cents per kWh. Home it averages .20 cents a kWh, once I have the extra solar panels installed my home charging costs will go down
Old 02-20-22, 09:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So basically no reason to charge anywhere but home unless you really have to.
Since I have two years free charging, I'll use it when I travel or if my current battery goes below 70 percent, as I can get back to 90 percent in 15 to 17 minutes at no cost. Home charging is more convenient, so majority of charging will be home charging

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2