EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22, 03:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I've been conducting a little experiment over the last two weeks, putting myself in the shoes of someone who doesn't have access to charging at home or work. I've been driving everyday and not plugging in at night. I drove about 9 days without plugging in and got down to 19 percent. This morning I left for work about 20 minutes earlier than I normally do and stopped at the Electrify America fast chargers. I had NPR going (listening to all the fake news of the day), had the heater on, leaned back in my seat checking and responding to emails and 25 minutes later I was at 81 percent. Unplugged and I was on my way to work!

Basically if you live in area with access to fast chargers, it's totally doable. It's definitely more convenient than going to Costco for gas, which I did once a week for many years. Normally it takes about 9 to 12 days to hit 20 percent for me. I may continue to do this over the next month for the sake of science...
Old 03-18-22, 03:28 PM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

cool experiment. I fire up the Vivaldi browser and watch YT reviews (of ICE cars I leave behind) while charging at EA
Old 03-18-22, 03:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
cool experiment. I fire up the Vivaldi browser and watch YT reviews (of ICE cars I leave behind) while charging at EA
LOL that's funny! I wonder if I can download Kodi and watch pirated movies.....I mean stream movies. Yeah, that's what I meant
Old 03-18-22, 04:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Volvo is experimenting with installing chargers at Starbucks, which of course means Polestar owners benefit! Now we can get have our overpriced Lattes and charge at the same time!

https://jalopnik-com.cdn.ampproject....ius-1848656523
Old 03-20-22, 01:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well, got into it briefly with an LC. Yesterday I ended up behind one, and was curious to see if I could keep up. Well I could, and the owner was determined not to believe it. I won't go into all the details, but it never got dangerous, and never got above 60 mph. Let's just say that from 0 to 60 at least, I'm faster. But overall, the LC is still the superior car. The LC is that older, wiser guy (or gal...this is 2022 afterall ;-) ) that the younger, stronger guy underestimates. What the older guy lacks in youth and energy, he makes up for in wisdom and skill. Respect for the LC, one of my favorite cars!

Old 03-20-22, 02:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Filled up the IS350 after 2 months. This was just a little more than half tank. Sigh...

Old 03-21-22, 08:51 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

filled up the LX last night, both of my boys couldn't believe I spend close to 100 bucks filling the SUV. They were telling me we can just stay home and I can buy them the lego they wanted.
we also just came from the Mall and they were very Impressed with model Y that they sat in and pressed some buttons to check out the car.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Filled up the IS350 after 2 months. This was just a little more than half tank. Sigh...

Old 03-21-22, 09:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZ214
filled up the LX last night, both of my boys couldn't believe I spend close to 100 bucks filling the SUV. They were telling me we can just stay home and I can buy them the lego they wanted.
we also just came from the Mall and they were very Impressed with model Y that they sat in and pressed some buttons to check out the car.
I'm just so glad I rarely have to go to the gas station anymore. I don't think I've ever seen gas prices this high. If I was still regularly driving my IS350, it would literally almost be a car payment, except the car is paid off. Between my wife's Ioniq and my Polestar, I've paid under $100 this month "fueling" them.

My advice, don't buy anything right now. Just live with the pain until prices stabilize
Old 03-21-22, 09:43 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm just so glad I rarely have to go to the gas station anymore. I don't think I've ever seen gas prices this high. If I was still regularly driving my IS350, it would literally almost be a car payment, except the car is paid off. Between my wife's Ioniq and my Polestar, I've paid under $100 this month "fueling" them.

My advice, don't buy anything right now. Just live with the pain until prices stabilize
Prices aren't going to magically drop soon. There is a 7 month waitlist on the popular Tesla models...yikes. Funny thing is, we have friends that have Suburbans and other large pickups / SUVs. I've seen them cram their family in the back of a Model 3 to shuttle the kids around right now with these gas prices It hit mid $6 in the neighborhoods i was in yesterday during a kid soccer game! Wow..
Old 03-21-22, 09:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Prices aren't going to magically drop soon. There is a 7 month waitlist on the popular Tesla models...yikes. Funny thing is, we have friends that have Suburbans and other large pickups / SUVs. I've seen them cram their family in the back of a Model 3 to shuttle the kids around right now with these gas prices It hit mid $6 in the neighborhoods i was in yesterday during a kid soccer game! Wow..
Most gas stations are over $6 right now, except Costco, which is still under $6 for premium. But I drove by Costco yesterday, and God the line was all the way to the entrance. So I went to this generic gas station near my house (Speedway Express) where Premium is just under $6. The funny thing is, all the gas stations like Chevron, Shell, Exxon and even this gas station...empty. LIke cricket empty. You don't want to go near a Costco gas station right now. I can imaging the pent up frustration of people waiting in line for 30 minutes
Old 03-21-22, 09:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Most gas stations are over $6 right now, except Costco, which is still under $6 for premium. But I drove by Costco yesterday, and God the line was all the way to the entrance. So I went to this generic gas station near my house (Speedway Express) where Premium is just under $6. The funny thing is, all the gas stations like Chevron, Shell, Exxon and even this gas station...empty. LIke cricket empty. You don't want to go near a Costco gas station right now. I can imaging the pent up frustration of people waiting in line for 30 minutes
Its funny that I can charge me EV in less time than getting gas at Costco (at a 3rd of the price too ).

On your Polestar 2, does it show information on all DC fast chargers on your trip? If your car gets low, does it re-route you to a charger then your final destination?
Old 03-21-22, 10:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its funny that I can charge me EV in less time than getting gas at Costco (at a 3rd of the price too ).

On your Polestar 2, does it show information on all DC fast chargers on your trip? If your car gets low, does it re-route you to a charger then your final destination?
Yep! I actually wrote about this. It's built into Google Maps. When going on a trip, it will show you projected battery percentage on arrival and when you get home. If it projects that you will not have enough charge, it will add Fast charging stations to the route and provide an estimate of how long charging will take. There is also a separate Trip planning app, but Google maps works well enough, infact its been 100 percent precise so far!

Yes, if you start running below 20 percent battery, the car will automatically route out the nearest chargers, including non Electrify America chargers
Old 03-21-22, 10:09 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Costco Great Oaks (San Jose 85 @ 101)
14 gals @ $5.699 = $80.16 to fill the GS...
Wifey is driving the Model 3 for nuthin'. Solar panels ROCK!
Old 03-21-22, 10:21 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

With the Polestar 2, when you enter a charging destination, it will precondition the battery for more efficient and quicker charging (especially in colder climates)

Another commonly used navigation app is ABRP ( A Better Route Planner)
Old 03-21-22, 10:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDlexus
With the Polestar 2, when you enter a charging destination, it will precondition the battery for more efficient and quicker charging (especially in colder climates)

Another commonly used navigation app is ABRP ( A Better Route Planner)
So far, Google maps has worked great. It's accuracy is astounding. I've done three long distance trips, and it's maybe been off by 1 percent, plus or minus

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2