EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-22, 10:30 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I totally agree with you. It's on point.
Old 03-21-22, 10:46 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by MDlexus
I totally agree with you. It's on point.
Imagine how much data they have to collect and calculate. I took a trip to Tracy CA which is more than 60 miles from my house. You have to take the 680 to the 580 to almost the 5. Lots of inclines, declines, twisty roads. It can also get very gusty winds as you get into the Central Valley. Google maps told me I would have 70 percent upon arrival, and 39 percent getting home. Damn if I didn't have exactly 70 percent when I arrived, and when I got home that evening I had 38 percent! That means it's taking into account all the inclines uphill, speed, ambient temps, recaptured energy from brake regeneration when on inclines etc. Not just once, but three different trips it was on spot!
Old 03-21-22, 11:41 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

another +1 for Google Maps. even the return trip is almost 100% accurate
Old 03-24-22, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So basically I've been using roughly 5 percent of my battery per day commuting and about 20 to 30 percent on the weekend...depending on what we are doing that weekend. Based on this current usage, it takes about 10 days to get from 90 percent (my default charge settings) to 25 percent. On the 11th day I would do a 30 minute fast charge to get to 80 percent. So not having the ability to charge at home really is not an inconvenience, as I would be visiting a fast charger every 11 days for normal driving. Even when I was I driving a fuel efficient Civic, I was visiting the gas station about every 8 days, and since it was a Costco I was spending at least 15 to 20 minutes filling up. So owning an EV with no place to charge at home is really not out of the question if you live in an area that is EV friendly. The only time it could be problematic is if there is an extreme emergency, you are down to 5 or 10 percent, you have to drive a far distance, and you don't have 20 minutes to top off at a fast charger. I would say this situation is probably 1 out of a 1000, but people have won the lottery...
Old 03-27-22, 02:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I've reached the 2000 mile mark and am about to hit month 3 of ownership of my Polestar. So far no issues, no rattles or unusual noises, everything works as it should be. I've been averaging 36 KwH per 100 miles, I've used public charging 11 times (179 kWh) and the rest home charging, so roughly I've burned through a total of 720 kWh. The average cost of charging at home as been about .20 cents a KwH, so my total cost for 2000 miles of driving has been roughly $109. That's just mind blowing. But honestly, I didn't get the Polestar to save money on gas, even if it costed me the same as what people are paying at the pump, I would have still bought it. The smooth performance is just out right amazing. Being able to drive at 80 mph with very little noise and the instant torque is it's own reward.The additional savings on fuel and maint are icing.

In May I will be taking my first trip to SoCal in the Polestar. I've talked to several other Polestar owners who make regular trips from SF to SoCal and even as far as Las Vegas who have told me it will add maybe an additional hour to my drive. There are two Electrify America charging stations I will have to make stops at, both have 300v chargers, I will have to stop for 20 minutes each, but I always make two stops anyway, one for a quick leg stretch and bathroom break, and the other for a fillup and bathroom/snack break. According to Google maps trip planner, I will reach my destination with 15 percent, so I will probably make one more stop near my brothers house adding another 20 minutes.

On another note, my brother in law who is one of those extremely financially savvy people is advising me to sell my IS350. He is pretty well read and knowledgeable when it comes to money matters, the economy etc and he told me that a lot of financial advisers are predicting that used ICE vehicles will begin to lose their value in the next 12 months. He said if I don't sell now, I'll regret it. Something to think about since I'm not really using it, and I'm holding on to it for purely nostalgic reasons

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-27-22 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-27-22, 02:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,839 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Your brother in law is correct. Sell the Lexus now unless you plan on keeping it indefinitely.
Old 03-27-22, 02:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Your brother in law is correct. Sell the Lexus now unless you plan on keeping it indefinitely.
I'm definitely considering it. What I would get for it now is more than I paid for it, including the the mods I made
Old 03-29-22, 10:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Looks like Polestar 2 has gained a lot of popularity. Orders for the Polestar 2 have been suspended due to demand and will resume April 11th, at least according to the Polestar forum. Hopefully no price increases
Old 03-29-22, 10:45 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Looks like Polestar 2 has gained a lot of popularity. Orders for the Polestar 2 have been suspended due to demand and will resume April 11th, at least according to the Polestar forum. Hopefully no price increases
what?!? but it's so inconvenient to charge on long road trips, batteries will only last X00,000 miles, modded cars are faster, battery degrades right out of the dealer lot, especially in cold weather . . .
no way people are buying this car

I'm glad you're enjoying your P*2. drive it in good health my friend
Old 03-29-22, 10:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
what?!? but it's so inconvenient to charge on long road trips, batteries will only last X00,000 miles, modded cars are faster, battery degrades right out of the dealer lot, especially in cold weather . . .
no way people are buying this car

I'm glad you're enjoying your P*2. drive it in good health my friend
I generally don't get excited about cars, but I am about this one. BTW a new software version (P.20) is coming out soon, its being rolled to the XC40 right now, and Polestar usually follows. Here are the features:
  • Android R. This operating system version includes new functionality and new app categories.
  • In-car functionality:
    • Improved starting sequence of OTA update installations.
    • Switching profiles no longer disturbs the navigation view in the driver display.
    • Audio system stability improvement.
    • Stability improvements of climate timers.
    • Radio reception improvements.
    • Camera application stability improvements.
    • Parking sensor bug resolved.
    • Improved centre display shutdown behaviour when locking the car.
  • Mobile app functionality:
    • Lock status stability improvements.
    • More frequent climate status updates
Old 03-29-22, 11:14 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

thanks! saw that too, and mobile app is getting an update as well. still no CarPlay which was promised for spring
Old 03-31-22, 04:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As a team building exercise, different departments of the company I work for held a bowling competition throughout the week. Today was our turn and since my department reports to the companies CFO, I joined the pencil pushers (accounting). It was pretty fun, but the the most interesting part was heading to the bowling alley. In front of me was a WRX STI. Can't say for sure if it was tuned or not, but I don't know any STI owner that is not full bolt-on and tuned. He tried to pull on me, but I had to keep taking my foot of the pedal so I wouldn't ram him every time he shifted into the next gear. He tried to lose me, but it was like he was going in slow motion. I was barely on the throttle because I was afraid I was going to hit him. I could almost see the look on his and his passengers face, who kept looking back. He hit the freeway on ramp which is curvy and gave it everything he had, trying to lose me, to no avail. I finally gave up before the upcoming exit as speeds started to exceed 75 mph and I backed off, he kept going at what looked like over 90

BTW I didn't do to bad at bowling, getting a score of 110, better than I thought I would get, as I haven't bowled in awhile

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-31-22 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-31-22, 08:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Hey don’t make fun of pencil pushers, I’m a pencil pusher myself! I had a little run in with a C7 corvette (not a Z06). He was in front of me and gunned it and I came around and passed him pretty easy. Cool dude, we both gave the thumbs up and we were on our way.
Old 03-31-22, 08:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Hey don’t make fun of pencil pushers, I’m a pencil pusher myself! I had a little run in with a C7 corvette (not a Z06). He was in front of me and gunned it and I came around and passed him pretty easy. Cool dude, we both gave the thumbs up and we were on our way.
LOL I love our accounting team, they are all really cool! In fact IT has a lot in common with accounting, namely nobody notices you until you don't get your check or a vendor is not paid in time, or a server goes down!

I'm never ceased to be amazed everytime I put my foot down how those tiny motors output so much power. Glad that Vette driver gave you some respect. I usually get looks of denial, determination, followed by confusion
Old 04-04-22, 08:38 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hertz car rental firm to buy 65,000 electric vehicles from Polestar

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022...49081795/April 4 (UPI) -- Hertz has signed a deal to buy 65,000 electric vehicles from Swedish carmaker Polestar over the next five years, the companies announced Monday.

The car rental giant will initially order the Polestar 2 model, the companies said in a joint press release. The cars will be made available as early as this spring in Europe and by the end of the year in North America and Australia.

"We are excited to partner with Polestar and look forward to introducing their premium EV products into our retail and rideshare fleets," said Hertz CEO Stephen Scherr.

"By working with EV industry leaders like Polestar, we can help accelerate the adoption of electrification while providing renters, corporate customers and rideshare partners a premium EV product, exceptional experience and lower carbon footprint."

Polestar, which sold 29,000 cars last year, expects sales to reach 290,000 vehicles per year by the end of 2025, according to the release.

The company was formed by Volvo and Chinese carmaker Greely in 2017, when it unveiled its Polestar 1 hybrid. It was followed by the fully electric Polestar 2 fastback in February 2019.

The company has said its product range will include five electric vehicles by 2024 with three new models to follow Polestar 1 and Polestar 2.

The Polestar 3, which will be made in the United States, will be an electric SUV expected to be released in 2022 and was described by Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath as being built "in America for Americans."

Hertz also maintains a significant fleet of Tesla vehicles dedicated to the company's partnership with Uber, the company's executives said in a February earnings call.

Mark Fields, the interim CEO of Hertz Global Holdings who was replaced by Scherr, said in the call that the company is poised to play leading role in the electric vehicle fleet transition

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2