EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 04:53 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

[QUOTE=If still made in China.... IMO[/QUOTE]

Yes, despite all the hype here, Made In China: The Polestar 2 is made at Geely and Volvo's “super factory” in Luqiao, China, along with the Volvo XC40 and the Lynk & Co 01.
Old 05-05-22, 07:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Yes, despite all the hype here, Made In China: The Polestar 2 is made at Geely and Volvo's “super factory” in Luqiao, China, along with the Volvo XC40 and the Lynk & Co 01.
​​​​​​ The Chinese make excellent products including cars. My Polestar is just as well made as my Lexus. Your iPhone or Android phone, your TV, fridges etc are all made in China lol. As long as quality control is in place, they make better products than any American worker could make here, at a fraction of the cost. Please people, come out of your shells and take off your binders lol

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-05-22 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 07:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
not good looking at all. The Volvo rear is really bad.

This front end looks good.

That is a pretty significant increase of $2500

If still made in China.... IMO
That's really not that much considering price increases from other auto makers, including gouging by dealerships. Here no other markups, what you see online is what you get. Most of the electronic products you own are made in China, including any Smart phones, computers, and other electronics, and all those chips used in Toyota's and Lexus automobiles. Yes, China=Computer chips, processors, ECU's etc

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-05-22 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 07:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think i prefer the c40 front and the polestar rear.
I actually like the C40 better, it's more luxurious, but it's also pricier
Old 05-05-22, 09:35 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I really like how the Polestar looks. Maybe once they figure out a way to recharge completely in 5 minutes, get 500 miles of range, and reduce any chance of catching fire I will consider one. Getting sick of $5 gas.
Old 05-05-22, 09:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I really like how the Polestar looks. Maybe once they figure out a way to recharge completely in 5 minutes, get 500 miles of range, and reduce any chance of catching fire I will consider one. Getting sick of $5 gas.
The 5 minute full charge is not going to happen anytime soon. If you charge at home, you never have to worry about 5 minute charges, and when you occasionally need a supercharger, it's about 25 to 30 minutes, but when it's all free or at a way reduced price as compared to gasoline the occasional 25 minutes at a supercharger ceases to even be an issue. As far as catching fire, Polestar has had battery vehicles including the Polestar 1 on the road since 2019 with no fires. In 2021 they sold 69,000 Polestar 2's, and in 2022 they had to close down sales due to the huge demand...no Polestars have been reported to have fires related to batteries. I am more worried about dying in an automobile crash than my Polestar catching fire. Here's my Polestar charging in front of my garage

Old 05-05-22, 10:07 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Won't electric rates go up with more people getting ahold of EV's? Also doubt public charging will be free for much longer.
Old 05-05-22, 10:11 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Won't electric rates go up with more people getting ahold of EV's? Also doubt public charging will be free for much longer.
Does it matter if it goes up a bit? I use to spend $250-300 a month of gas. Switched to EV and it was $50 a month. Electricity won't go up 5x. EVs will save a crap load of money to fuel.
Old 05-05-22, 10:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The answer to your question is Yes, rates are already going up regardless of EV's. PG&E raised our rates 3 times this year already. The thing is, electricity will always be cheaper than gasoline, my average cost of electricity currently with current rates is around .20 cents a kWh. Even if that doubles it's still cheaper than gasoline. As far as charging stations, yes they won't always be free. But again, the cost of charging will always be cheaper than a gallon of gasoline
Old 05-05-22, 10:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,839 Likes on 2,399 Posts

I love the impossible criteria some set as the trigger point to own an EV. When it can charge in 3 seconds gets 7000 miles to a charge and has zero risk of anything bad ever happening I might get one.
Old 05-05-22, 10:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I love the impossible criteria some set as the trigger point to own an EV. When it can charge in 3 seconds gets 7000 miles to a charge and has zero risk of anything bad ever happening I might get one.
Haha yeah it makes me laugh every time.
Old 05-05-22, 10:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well to be fair, I used to be in the "it must go 500 miles and charge in 10 minutes" mindset myself at one time. There is so much misinformation out there targeting people regarding EV's. Until I actually talked to people who own EV's, did independent research and bought one myself, I never realized how much better they were than traditional automobiles and that most of the arguments about charging and range are extremely easy obstacles to overcome, especially if you live where I do
Old 05-05-22, 11:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Nobody knows for sure where it all lands. But, in the future, it will 100% cost more to own and operate an EV than it will gas. Especially on the cheaper end of the MSRP, taxes will be added. Disposal fees for the heavy batteries. Weight of the vehicle. Loss of gas tax revenue for the highways etc. Constant infrastructure upgrades will be required. Going green is never cheap..for any industry. A fully loaded bZ4x is $50,000 US And you get 214HP with a Toyota badge. Just look at NX, to get the greenest most fuel efficient option, you have to pay more.... Tundra, to get more MPG, you have to pay more..

I really like how the Polestar looks.
I have seen a few. they do look nice, But not for the price MSRP they are asking.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-05-22 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nobody knows for sure. But, in the future, it will 100% cost more to own and operate an EV than it will gas. Especially on the cheaper end of the MSRP, taxes will be added. Disposal fees for the heavy batteries. Weight of the vehicle. Loss of gas tax revenue for the highways etc. Constant infrastructure upgrades will be required. Going green is never cheap..for any industry. A fully loaded bZ4x in $50,000 US And you get 214HP with a Toyota badge. Just look at NX, to get the greenest most fuel efficient option, you have to pay more.... Tundra, to get more MPG, you have to pay more..

I have seen a few. they do look nice, But not for the price MSRP they are asking.
For one thing, you are completely ignoring the $7500 tax credit that will be removed from the MSRP, bringing the price down. Also you are making assumptions that are not proven in real world data. Nobody is saying going green is cheap, but it's not that expensive either. With fuel and maint savings alone, it's costing me $120 a month over driving my paid off IS350, which is now mostly parked. If I drove my IS350 it would cost me $400 month in fuel and maint costs...pretty much a car payment and it's a 12 year old car. The Polestar is costing me around $550 a month, which includes lease payment and electricity usage, and its about 4 months old. Also there is nothing wrong with paying more for fuel savings...people pay more just for added luxury or performance. Also as far as electric infrastructure, why shouldn't we invest in expanding it? Population growth alone means it needs to be expanded. Look at Texas...they neglected their infrastructure and what happened a couple of winters ago? People from our San Antonio office had no electricity or running water for weeks. One employee told me he was boiling snow from his yard for water. That's what happens when you neglect infrastructure

What you need to do is get your data from actual EV owners. You'll get a more accurate picture of the true costs and what it's actually like to live with a BEV
Old 05-05-22, 12:20 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Lol, well it is a problem for lots of people. We're so used to finding a gas station everywhere, spending a few minutes there so you don't have to worry about it again for 400-500 miles. Yeah paying $70 for a tank of gas gets old but it's what we're used to. We prefer the convenience.

Regarding the safety... I have never personally seen an ICE on fire. I feel that you'd have to do something pretty stupid for that to happen, unless you're a Kia or Hyundai owner. With an EV you could be charging your vehicle in the garage, not doing anything out of the ordinary, when something malfunctions. Then if that does happen, your entire property is toast as well as possibly other people's. No chance at containment.

Maybe that's why I've been a Toyota owner most of my life. We have something in common: We don't like new tech. We prefer to use what's been out for many years instead of jumping on the newest, flashiest thing.

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2