EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-22, 12:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Lol, well it is a problem for lots of people. We're so used to finding a gas station everywhere, spending a few minutes there so you don't have to worry about it again for 400-500 miles. Yeah paying $70 for a tank of gas gets old but it's what we're used to. We prefer the convenience.

Regarding the safety... I have never personally seen an ICE on fire. I feel that you'd have to do something pretty stupid for that to happen, unless you're a Kia or Hyundai owner. With an EV you could be charging your vehicle in the garage, not doing anything out of the ordinary, when something malfunctions. Then if that does happen, your entire property is toast as well as possibly other people's. No chance at containment.

Maybe that's why I've been a Toyota owner most of my life. We have something in common: We don't like new tech. We prefer to use what's been out for many years instead of jumping on the newest, flashiest thing.
Just think of all the millions of EV's just in California. Tesla and Leaf alone have been on the road since 2011. How many hundreds of thousands of times people charge every day. Also look at statistics of EV fires...you won't find that many as compared to gasoline engine fires...again ignoring Hyundai/Kia for now. Battery packs have to meet Federal and state safety standards. If you bought an EV, it's as likely to catch fire as you would be likely to walk off a cliff deliberately
Old 05-06-22, 04:22 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​ The Chinese make excellent products including cars. My Polestar is just as well made as my Lexus. Your iPhone or Android phone, your TV, fridges etc are all made in China lol. As long as quality control is in place, they make better products than any American worker could make here, at a fraction of the cost. Please people, come out of your shells and take off your binders lol
I wouldn’t have minded if my Tesla was made in China. I feel like quality control would have been better but who knows, just a thought.

As far as fires go, the risk of that isn’t even on my radar. Like I’ve said before, if you are that worried about things like that, don’t go swimming in the ocean, you may get bitten by a shark.
Old 05-06-22, 11:28 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

​​​​​​ The Chinese make excellent products including cars. My Polestar is just as well made as my Lexus. Your iPhone or Android phone, your TV, fridges etc are all made in China lol. As long as quality control is in place, they make better products than any American worker could make here, at a fraction of the cost. Please people, come out of your shells and take off your binders lol
The issue isn't about the quality of a product it's about your supporting the Chinese Communist Party when you buy a car made in China when you have other options. You need to take off your blinders, China is not the USA's friend, they are our enemy. They have been plotting for years to take away our freedom and stealing our technology. You're probably too young to know what it is to serve your country. Of course I don't know you, maybe you aren't an American citizen and don't care. Your posts certainly show you have no regard for your actions and everything is hunky dory in La La Land.

Old 05-06-22, 11:34 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I wouldn’t have minded if my Tesla was made in China. I feel like quality control would have been better but who knows, just a thought.

As far as fires go, the risk of that isn’t even on my radar. Like I’ve said before, if you are that worried about things like that, don’t go swimming in the ocean, you may get bitten by a shark.
Products manufactured in China can be completely amazing high end products, or they can be garbage. Companies that setup manufacturing in China must put into place quality controls. That is what insures a good product. That's why you have Chinese brands that are completely junk, and brands that are high end that people don't realize were made in Chinese factories. As far as the Polestar, both Polestar and Volvo are developed and engineered in Sweden and Polestar is built in the Luqiao plant in China. It's an extremely well built auto, you won't find any defects or panel gaps. It's just as well put together as my IS350, of course Lexus uses more premium materials, but it's a Lexus while Polestar uses a lot of recycled materials, so it's really not supposed to be competing with Lexus luxury. Although I will say, the 2nd Gen IS350 was more focused on performance than comfort unlike todays IS350
Old 05-06-22, 11:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The issue isn't about the quality of a product it's about your supporting the Chinese Communist Party when you buy a car made in China when you have other options. You need to take off your blinders, China is not the USA's friend, they are our enemy. They have been plotting for years to take away our freedom and stealing our technology. You're probably too young to know what it is to serve your country. Of course I don't know you, maybe you aren't an American citizen and don't care. Your posts certainly show you have no regard for your actions and everything is hunky dory in La La Land.
I am an American citizen, born and raised here. You should stop buying stuff period, because most things are made in China including computers, chips that go into phones, cars, microwaves etc. And why would I care about their politics? They may be your enemy, not mine

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-06-22 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

stick to polestar 2 please
Old 05-07-22, 11:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Next Thursday I will be doing my first long trip in my Polestar to Southern California, a 380 mile (each way) round trip. Well that is if my COVID is gone by then. I've been sick since Thursday night and tested positive...thankfully I'm immunized and boosted so it's more like a bad cold with low grade fever. Not fun stuff. Anyway, if things are cleared up, I look forward to documenting my experience, availability of Superchargers on the way, and any good or bad experiences I have. Talking to other Polestar owners in my area who have done this similar trip, everyone has said it was easy and uneventful. I look forward to recording the journey
Old 05-07-22, 08:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hope you get well soon, with vaccine most people i know recovered within a week.

don't think you will hit any problem on a planned trip. it's fun only when it's big holidays like thanksgiving sunday night
Old 05-07-22, 08:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
hope you get well soon, with vaccine most people i know recovered within a week.

don't think you will hit any problem on a planned trip. it's fun only when it's big holidays like thanksgiving sunday night
Thanks, I'm also taking Paxlovid to speed my recovery. I try to avoid driving holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, I've been stuck on the highway as long as 15 hours. When you have to stop for restaurants they are understaffed and over packed. We once waited 2 hours at a Taco bell for our order of Bean burritos
Old 05-07-22, 09:52 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks, I'm also taking Paxlovid to speed my recovery. I try to avoid driving holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, I've been stuck on the highway as long as 15 hours. When you have to stop for restaurants they are understaffed and over packed. We once waited 2 hours at a Taco bell for our order of Bean burritos
How in the world did you not leave? You have way more patience than I would in that situation.
Old 05-07-22, 10:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
How in the world did you not leave? You have way more patience than I would in that situation.
We were all hungry, all the restaurants were packed...we left nearby Denny's because of the wait, and we were at least 6 hours from home. Now we just pack food if we have to travel over busy holidays
Old 05-07-22, 10:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Can't you take that horse medicine that's supposed to be effective

Don't forget to use PlugShare app as people identify bad chargers on that app. Also, the most effective way to charge fast is to only charge to about 60-65% and take it down to about 10% then charge. A Better Route Planner usually recommends that strategy.
Old 05-08-22, 11:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Can't you take that horse medicine that's supposed to be effective

Don't forget to use PlugShare app as people identify bad chargers on that app. Also, the most effective way to charge fast is to only charge to about 60-65% and take it down to about 10% then charge. A Better Route Planner usually recommends that strategy.
Haha no horse medicine for me. The Electrify America app shows which chargers are available, in use, or unavailable. The built in Google maps does a really good job and does similar recommendations. Since I will be leaving early in the morning, I probably won't worry as much about charging times. I'll start out at 100 percent, go to about 30 percent, than make two more stops going to about 80 to 90 percent each time. I'm not going to worry about too much about saving time this trip
Old 05-08-22, 11:48 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Haha no horse medicine for me. The Electrify America app shows which chargers are available, in use, or unavailable. The built in Google maps does a really good job and does similar recommendations. Since I will be leaving early in the morning, I probably won't worry as much about charging times. I'll start out at 100 percent, go to about 30 percent, than make two more stops going to about 80 to 90 percent each time. I'm not going to worry about too much about saving time this trip
Just did a road trip this morning for a soccer game. I averaged about 3.05 mile / kWh traveling at 85mph the whole way. Hope you have Waze. Between that and my radar detector, I found 3 patrol cars
Old 05-08-22, 11:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Just did a road trip this morning for a soccer game. I averaged about 3.05 mile / kWh traveling at 85mph the whole way. Hope you have Waze. Between that and my radar detector, I found 3 patrol cars
Google maps has the built in alerting from Waze. Saved me from a ticket a few times. 3.05 kWh per mile is pretty good at that speed, I get between 2.99 and 3 kWh per mile, I'll probably end up doing pretty good because although there are a lot of steep inclines, what goes up also comes down... meaning lots of regen

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2