EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 08:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Plus Tesla needs to keep building out the Supercharger network to accommodate increased customers, as well as their plan to fully open up the network to non-Teslas at some point.

Glad your trip went well both directions. We will be traveling from Sacramento to LA for a week soon. If Harris Ranch is full then the expanded Kettleman Supercharger isn’t too far away and has its own Tesla lounge with clean bathrooms.

We were out on a walk around the neighborhood and thought I saw a Polestar 2 from afar but as we approached it turned out to be an S60 plug-in hybrid. That was surprising!

I am amused by all the happy Bolt owners — not in an insulting way but am genuinely happy that they’re happy! It just shows that EVs can work for many folks and still cost less than the average new car.

I admittedly still get a little range anxiety whenever we plan long trips with the Y. There are Superchargers aplenty but I still get the nagging feeling of being stranded before we even drive a foot. It takes a few extra minutes for me to look up Superchargers nearby our destination and then I’m good. I also have a ChargePoint account and PlugShare as backups. Our Model Y was built without CCS suppprt, due to parts shortage at the time. If I can get the charging circuit board retroactively replaced with CCS suppprt then I’ll be golden between Supercharging, EA, and everything in between.
I guess because the Bolt is an inexpensive gateway to EV ownership and it does drive good. I test drove one in 2020 but my wife didn't like the way it looked, so we ended up leasing an Ionic EV.

I now have zero range anxiety. If you use the built-in Google maps in the Polestar, it will show you how much battery you will have when you reach your destination, and how much when you return. It will let you know if a charging station is needed and automatically add it. It's so accurate, it's more scary than range anxiety lol
Old 05-22-22, 08:55 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I guess because the Bolt is an inexpensive gateway to EV ownership and it does drive good. I test drove one in 2020 but my wife didn't like the way it looked, so we ended up leasing an Ionic EV.

I now have zero range anxiety. If you use the built-in Google maps in the Polestar, it will show you how much battery you will have when you reach your destination, and how much when you return. It will let you know if a charging station is needed and automatically add it. It's so accurate, it's more scary than range anxiety lol
For daily use I never get range anxiety, even driving upwards of 160 miles in a day running errands, because I know I can charge at home.

When we road-trip I worry (just slightly) if we need/want to deviate from the route plan and take an unplanned detour. I haven’t ever been stranded in the three years of EV ownership but it’s still on the back of my mind because I worry more for my family. If it was just me, somehow I don’t experience the same anxiety.
Old 05-22-22, 08:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

Whats funny is that I took my Tesla in for the 3yr brake fluid service so when I parked, I got a message on my phone app that greeted me and my service advisor would be coming out to meet me! He came over and greeted me by name...Turns out the entire parking lot is geofenced and the service advisor knows when you pull up. Yes...they are tracking you everywhere
Old 05-22-22, 09:10 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Whats funny is that I took my Tesla in for the 3yr brake fluid service so when I parked, I got a message on my phone app that greeted me and my service advisor would be coming out to meet me! He came over and greeted me by name...Turns out the entire parking lot is geofenced and the service advisor knows when you pull up. Yes...they are tracking you everywhere
How much is the service? Some on the TMC forum shared that Service Center recommended brake inspection as often as every year, which seemed odd to me. Perhaps for those in regions with harsh winters and salted roads.
Old 05-22-22, 09:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
How much is the service? Some on the TMC forum shared that Service Center recommended brake inspection as often as every year, which seemed odd to me. Perhaps for those in regions with harsh winters and salted roads.
They said my brakes were perfect and they recommended I don't change brake fluid because it looked new. They said probably another couple years before it needs a change for the fluid and they charged me $0. They resealed my upper control arms for preventative maintenance ($0) and the whole thing took about 15 min. It was a great experience. If I did change the fluid, the estimate was $198. Basically, in my 3 years of ownership, I paid $40 for the cabin air filters. Of course tires are always expensive...damn drift mode
Old 05-22-22, 09:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Polestar tracks you as well. It has an emergency sos button (like my Lexus) I can press or if I get into a bad accident Polestar will be notified. That said, I'm sure cars companies have been tracking cars for years. Whenever the service light on my 2013 Sienna would come on, shortly after I would get an email from the Toyota dealership telling me my next service was coming up. It couldn't have been a coincidence as my wife used to put a lot of miles on the van, her driving patterns were way different from the average drivers. I'm pretty sure they were notified when the next service interval came up.

As far as the Polestar, I've opted in allowing them to collect error logs and certain logs to help make the car better
Old 05-26-22, 10:02 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2022 Dual Motor Polestar 2 beats EPA estimated range by 39 miles

Edmunds retested the Polestar 2.
Interesting results!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tes...ted-range.html
Old 05-26-22, 11:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDlexus
Edmunds retested the Polestar 2.
Interesting results!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tes...ted-range.html
Yeah I read something similar a few weeks back. That's awesome they were able to make it more efficient. BTW you'll only get the extra power with the performance pack, which is fine by me
Old 05-28-22, 02:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I want to do something a little different here and perform an exercise. There have been some that keep comparing the overall expense of their cars compared to an EV. The argument being that the overall cost of what they paid for their car is still cheaper while adding in the cost of fuel and maintenance. The problem...their cars are just not comparable. In some cases the car is 7 to 10 years old, and in some cases they are comparing a $25K 4 cylinder to a $40K plus high performance EV with 3x the power. That's just simply not fair because a Camry is always going to be cheaper to drive and own than say a 5 series BMW. Some people have made it clear that they don't want to see another EV thread, so I will just use my Polestar thread to perform this exercise using my Polestar 2 as an example.

After doing a little research and extensive use of Google, one of the closest competitors that is non EV in performance and pricing is the 2022 BMW M240i xDrive. Now I don't have a lot of experience with BMW's, and I have never owned one, so if I say something incorrect, BMW owners please chime in. I'm not comparing looks, and I'm not comparing the fact that you can get the BMW with a manual. I'm only comparing their similarities in performance and pricing. I'm comparing the base models of each, so let's start with specs:

M240i Specs:

Polestar 2 Dual Motor base model:

M240i xDrive pricing:

Polestar 2 base model with Dual Electric Motors:

M240i xDrive fuel costs:

Polestar 2 Fuel costs:

M240i xDrive Cabin:

Polestar 2 Cabin:

As you can see from performance specs and pricing, they are both very close with the BWM having 382 HP and the Polestar 2 having 408 hp. Just an FYI, I walked one with no problems twice in a row. That's not to say it's a bad car, in fact it's a bad *** car, so it's a point of pride saying I can walk one, at least in a straight line. Anyway moving on, pricewise the BMW is just under $50K MSRP, and the Polestar 2 with the dual electric motors is $45,800 with the $7500 tax credit. So lets say both are under $50K MSRP and pretend there are no dealer markup's. Now lets move on to cost of ownership:

BMW M240i annual fuel cost: $3000 a year. Polestar 2 annual fuel cost: $550 a year.

Now people are going to argue that the average BMW buyer doesn't care about fuel costs. There are many BMW owners at my place of employment, they are all high wage earners, and yet I hear them complain about fueling their cars. The CFO of my company who I report directly to owns a 5 series, is 7 figure wealthy and he barely drives it now and complains about having to fuel it. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

Final conclusion: If you fairly compare an EV to it's comparable ICE counterpart, the EV in some cases may be more expensive, but it doesn't take a math genius to crunch the numbers and realize that in a few years of ownership that extra cost evaporates in the form of cheaper fueling and almost no maintenance. I'm not trying to say the Polestar is better than the BMW, but it definingly performs as well or better with a cheaper overall operating cost. There are EV's that are rich people's toys and at their current price points make no sense (like the Lucid Dream at almost $200K), but neither does the Porsche Turbo S at $207K

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-28-22 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-28-22, 03:55 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

For around the same price I would probably get the M3P or the MYP over a comparable BMW. Funny thing about gas prices is that like some of the people you mention, while the increase in gas prices these days is largely immaterial to me, it annoys the heck out of me when I see how much it costs me to fill up. I don’t know why, it just does. I’m sure over time when these prices are the norm it won’t affect me much but for now it does.
Old 05-28-22, 07:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
For around the same price I would probably get the M3P or the MYP over a comparable BMW. Funny thing about gas prices is that like some of the people you mention, while the increase in gas prices these days is largely immaterial to me, it annoys the heck out of me when I see how much it costs me to fill up. I don’t know why, it just does. I’m sure over time when these prices are the norm it won’t affect me much but for now it does.
It's human nature. They are immaterial to me as well, but it does bother me when we we have to fill up our Sienna. I just feel bad for all the people it's not immaterial to where it's become a burden

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-28-22 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-29-22, 12:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

OMG CL on mobile just doesn't work properly....

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-29-22 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-29-22, 01:48 PM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the LED front fog lights is part of the Pilot pack. those work as cornering lights too
Old 05-29-22, 02:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
I think the LED front fog lights is part of the Pilot pack. those work as cornering lights too
He has both packs. He ordered a 2023, they offered him a preconfigured model in their showroom that had 15 miles on it, so be leased it because he didn't want to wait. Since this was a 2022 he got a better leasing option as well, he's paying $550 a month, on a 2023 it would have been over a $1000 a month for the same build. He would have gotten better range and more HP (470 HP), but 408 was enough
Old 05-29-22, 02:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
Sorry, I was trying to respond to you on my phone and the original post got deleted, I didn't realize till I hit save. I don't remember what I even posted. Anyway, here's my Polestar next to my friends at a picnic in Milpitas yesterday, who has both the Performance Pack and Pilot pack. Seeing more and more Polestars everyday on the road

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2