EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-22, 02:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Interesting. I had been contemplating a Base Taycan, or maybe 4S, since it appears my wife has abandoned her Lexus and claimed “my” Model Y as hers. But am not in any rush to buy right now.

Could just be me but the PoleStar website is not easy to navigate and find information or photos of the cars. Seems to link more to articles than real configuration of the car. I wanted to learn more about their vehicles but am put off by their website design.
It's very....Swedish LOL. Just go to the main website https://www.polestar.com/us/ and use the menu at the very top left. At this time there is not too much information available outside of the Polestar 2, and there is some info on the Polestar 3, which is their upcoming SUV. Actually, the car on the very right you referred to is the Polestar 5 and not the 3, which is going to compete with the Taycan
Old 06-16-22, 02:22 PM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

The one on the far right looks sleek. Is that the PoleStar 3?
no, this is the Polestar3, they're actually lined up according to their ordinal number
Old 06-16-22, 02:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
no, this is the Polestar3, they're actually lined up according to their ordinal number
^^ Yeah I caught the mistake, I corrected that in my last post ^^
Old 06-16-22, 02:30 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's very....Swedish LOL. Just go to the main website https://www.polestar.com/us/ and use the menu at the very top left. At this time there is not too much information available outside of the Polestar 2, and there is some info on the Polestar 3, which is their upcoming SUV. Actually, the car on the very right you referred to is the Polestar 5 and not the 3, which is going to compete with the Taycan
That Polestar 5 is beautiful and will supposedly start at $80K, which isn’t cheap but not too expensive either. Hmm. I like the PoleStar design language and would definitely consider one of their EVs over Hyundai/Kia designs. Said another way, Rivian and PoleStar are the only real options to pull me away from Tesla (oh, and possibly a Porsche Taycan). Lucid is just too much for me.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 06-16-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 02:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That Polestar 5 is beautiful and will supposedly start at $80K, which isn’t cheap but not too expensive either. Hmm. I like the PoleStar design language and would definitely consider one of their EVs over Hyundai/Kia designs.
I do as well. I am really loving my P2, and so are the others on here who purchased them. Very solid vehicle, quality is excellent, minimalist design but comfortable. A perfect commuter. In 5000 miles I'm yet to get a rattle, a squeak, or something break. Also mine is the base long range with dual motors, yet it performs really well and handles as well or better than my IS350 with all it's F-Sport suspension. It's also pretty efficient, I've been consistently getting around 33.8 kWh per 100 miles. Only downside is fast charging, doesn't charge as fast as the Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 or the ID 4 etc, fast enough to do trips with no problems. The power curve falls off the cliff after hitting 80 percent charge which is fine because it's usually enough to get to my destination.

I'm definitely looking at the Polestar 3 SUV to replace our family car. If it's around the $70K range, it will fit in my budget
Old 06-16-22, 02:47 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

I do as well. I am really loving my P2, and so are the others on here who purchased them. Very solid vehicle, quality is excellent, minimalist design but comfortable. A perfect commuter. In 5000 miles I'm yet to get a rattle, a squeak, or something break. Also mine is the base long range with dual motors, yet it performs really well and handles as well or better than my IS350 with all it's F-Sport suspension. It's also pretty efficient, I've been consistently getting around 33.8 kWh per 100 miles. Only downside is fast charging, doesn't charge as fast as the Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 or the ID 4 etc, fast enough to do trips with no problems. The power curve falls off the cliff after hitting 80 percent charge which is fine because it's usually enough to get to my destination.

I'm definitely looking at the Polestar 3 SUV to replace our family car. If it's around the $70K range, it will fit in my budget
I appreciate everything you’ve shared about the PoleStar 2 and basically relied on your posts for my education. You are the reason PoleStar has stayed on my radar and become a serious contender for a future vehicle. Kudos and thank you, @AMIRZA786 !

What did you mean the power curve falls off the cliff after 80%?

Our Y escaped many of the build quality concerns at delivery and was as close to perfect and I could imagine. It is 10-months old with 18K miles and there’s a rattle from the rear I can’t pinpoint yet. Besides that my wife and I both love everything about the Y Long Range — spacious and good cargo room, easy to drive and park, comfortable, and plenty of performance for either of us. My biggest issue is trying to get windshield replaced after an 18-wheeler kicked up a rock and I couldn’t get out of the way fast enough. It will be a one-month wait for parts.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 06-16-22 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 02:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I appreciate everything you’ve shared about the PoleStar 2 and basically relied on your posts for my education. You are the reason PoleStar has stayed on my radar and become a serious contender for a future vehicle. Kudos and thank you, @AMIRZA786 !

Polestar 2 charging speeds fall off a curve after 80%. Many EVs do this...Mach E is really bad about it where it takes hours to get that last 20%.
Old 06-16-22, 02:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

After 80 percent it will drop down to about 41 kW, than eventually drop to around 33 kW. In other words, I can charge from 20 percent to 80 percent in about 30 minutes or less, but once I hit 80 percent it can take another 20 minutes to get to 95 percent. I think this is Polestar being very conservative protecting the batteries. This won't be an issue with the Polestar 3 and on as they will support 800v (my Polestar supports 400v)
Old 06-16-22, 02:56 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
Polestar 2 charging speeds fall off a curve after 80%. Many EVs do this...Mach E is really bad about it where it takes hours to get that last 20%.
Oh wow, hours?!?! The Model S was pretty slow at about 30-40 minutes for the last 20%, but the Y is probably 25-30 minutes. On this last roadtrip I felt the Y was charging too fast, like it was ready to go before we humans were. Charging obviously takes longer than getting gas but we haven’t encountered a situation where we’re still waiting for the Y to get more juice. My wife has complained before about the S taking too long but not the Y. Charging slows down after 80% on the Y but it’s still reasonably quick. I actually have to worry more about potential idle fees with the Y.
Old 06-16-22, 03:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,970 Likes on 2,502 Posts

Why will 800 volts be able to safely charge the battery faster when 400 volts won't? Doesn't make sense having 800 volts is about efficiency it doesn't change battery chemistry.
Old 06-16-22, 03:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Oh wow, hours?!?! The Model S was pretty slow at about 30-40 minutes for the last 20%, but the Y is probably 25-30 minutes. On this last roadtrip I felt the Y was charging too fast, like it was ready to go before we humans were. Charging obviously takes longer than getting gas but we haven’t encountered a situation where we’re still waiting for the Y to get more juice. My wife has complained before about the S taking too long but not the Y. Charging slows down after 80% on the Y but it’s still reasonably quick. I actually have to worry more about potential idle fees with the Y.
Yeah it does suck that the last 20 percent can take just as long as the first 80 percent. But it hasn't been an issue because Google maps is really good at planning out your charging to make your trip faster. For example, it will tell me to only charge to a certain percent to get me to my next destination. For example when I go to SoCal, it will tell me to charge for 15 minutes so it can get me to Bakersfield. From Bakersfield it will tell me to charge to a certain percentage to get to my final destination, usually with a 20 percent buffer. It only takes me 30 minutes more to drive my Polestar over my IS350 or Sienna. The only time there could be a problem is if some of the EA chargers are down and there is a queue. But I found if you leave before 8am from my house, all the chargers are open. Leave later than 9am, and you potentially have to wait for a charger
Old 06-16-22, 03:07 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

After 80 percent it will drop down to about 41 kW, than eventually drop to around 33 kW. In other words, I can charge from 20 percent to 80 percent in about 30 minutes or less, but once I hit 80 percent it can take another 20 minutes to get to 95 percent. I think this is Polestar being very conservative protecting the batteries. This won't be an issue with the Polestar 3 and on as they will support 800v (my Polestar supports 400v)
So the PS2 actually isn’t too bad after 80% compared to what I’m used to in the Y. I started at 250 kW rate and went from 10% to 80% in the first 25 minutes then dropped to 46 kW rate if I were to wait it out to 100%:

Old 06-16-22, 03:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Why will 800 volts be able to safely charge the battery faster when 400 volts won't? Doesn't make sense having 800 volts is about efficiency it doesn't change battery chemistry.
I've read that it pushes the power faster. If the system is setup correctly it should protect the battery. An electrician told me the more the voltage and amperage, the more efficient the charge with less losses

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-16-22 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-16-22, 03:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Article below explains the tradeoffs. 800V requires have the current to charge the battery vs. the 400V system. You can always increase amps to get as fast as an 800V system but it will cause much more heat damaging the battery. Thats why Tesla's 400V system has a max charging rate of 250kw but only for a short period due to battery mgmt. The Kia/Hyundai can keep it at 250kw much longer because much less heat is being produced due to its architecture.

https://electronics360.globalspec.co...-industry-norm
Old 06-17-22, 09:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So the PS2 actually isn’t too bad after 80% compared to what I’m used to in the Y. I started at 250 kW rate and went from 10% to 80% in the first 25 minutes then dropped to 46 kW rate if I were to wait it out to 100%:

So your 10 percent to 80 percent charge is about 5 to 7 minutes faster than my PS2. You are a bit faster from 80 to 100 percent as I drop down to about 31 kW. I've found in most cases charging to about 85 percent gets me where I need to go, but sometimes I need just a little more. From the Bakersfield Electrify America which is about 23 miles north of the Grapevines, I need to be at least 90 percent to get to my brothers house in Eastvale, I'll usually have about 26 to 28 percent when I arrive, then I just plug in at his house (he has Solar!)

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2