EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2021 PoleStar 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-22, 10:01 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So your 10 percent to 80 percent charge is about 5 to 7 minutes faster than my PS2. You are a bit faster from 80 to 100 percent as I drop down to about 31 kW. I've found in most cases charging to about 85 percent gets me where I need to go, but sometimes I need just a little more. From the Bakersfield Electrify America which is about 23 miles north of the Grapevines, I need to be at least 90 percent to get to my brothers house in Eastvale, I'll usually have about 26 to 28 percent when I arrive, then I just plug in at his house (he has Solar!)
We also have solar and it is great! Even though our local utility increased off-peak rates by 50% (from 7.8 cents to 11.7 cents per kWh), and we increased our driving/charging another 50%, our EV charging portion is still only $60 a month compared with $500+ for gas if we drove the Lexus ES 330. We drive about 20K miles a year so the savings really add up.

Our recent trip from Sacramento to Los Angeles only required one charging session. We drove 205 miles (used 77%) to the Harris Ranch Supercharger, plugged in, had lunch, and left with 91%. Drove another 206 miles to the hotel in Pasadena (used 79%). The Grapevine was a little hairy as the percent was dropping fast, like 1% every half mile up. But the climb wasn’t too long and we regen’d a good bit downhill, averaging 10 miles per percent of charge. Overall the Y is rated at 330 miles but that trip in the real world had a full range of 265-270 miles. Still not bad IMO considering I was driving between 80-85 MPH (just to keep up with traffic) in 90 degree weather. If I was driving my usual right-lane speeds of 68-72 then I’m confident highway range would be 300+ miles and very close to EPA.
Old 06-17-22, 10:07 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I do as well. I am really loving my P2, and so are the others on here who purchased them. Very solid vehicle, quality is excellent, minimalist design but comfortable. A perfect commuter. In 5000 miles I'm yet to get a rattle, a squeak, or something break. Also mine is the base long range with dual motors, yet it performs really well and handles as well or better than my IS350 with all it's F-Sport suspension. It's also pretty efficient, I've been consistently getting around 33.8 kWh per 100 miles. Only downside is fast charging, doesn't charge as fast as the Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 or the ID 4 etc, fast enough to do trips with no problems. The power curve falls off the cliff after hitting 80 percent charge which is fine because it's usually enough to get to my destination.

I'm definitely looking at the Polestar 3 SUV to replace our family car. If it's around the $70K range, it will fit in my budget

​​​​​​Ditto @AMIRZA786 . My wife's Q7 lease is up in November and have been considering the Polestar 3 as a replacement. I will either extend my lease ~ 6mos or buy it out until the P3 is available. Maybe early 2023.
Recently broke 15K miles and 1 year. Still LOVIN it!
Old 06-17-22, 10:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
We also have solar and it is great! Even though our local utility increased off-peak rates by 50% (from 7.8 cents to 11.7 cents per kWh), and we increased our driving/charging another 50%, our EV charging portion is still only $60 a month compared with $500+ for gas if we drove the Lexus ES 330. We drive about 20K miles a year so the savings really add up.

Our recent trip from Sacramento to Los Angeles only required one charging session. We drove 205 miles (used 77%) to the Harris Ranch Supercharger, plugged in, had lunch, and left with 91%. Drove another 206 miles to the hotel in Pasadena (used 79%). The Grapevine was a little hairy as the percent was dropping fast, like 1% every half mile up. But the climb wasn’t too long and we regen’d a good bit downhill, averaging 10 miles per percent of charge. Overall the Y is rated at 330 miles but that trip in the real world had a full range of 265-270 miles. Still not bad IMO considering I was driving between 80-85 MPH (just to keep up with traffic) in 90 degree weather. If I was driving my usual right-lane speeds of 68-72 then I’m confident highway range would be 300+ miles and very close to EPA.
I also have solar from Sunrun, I'm waiting for the final approval from PG&E, it was spec out to cover 199 percent of my energy use, including AC in the summer and two EV's. I currently have 1 panel from Solar City (now Tesla), but it barely covers 50 percent of my energy needs, and Tesla has been very unresponsive about upgrading it.

I have to make two stops when going to my brothers house in Eastvale, which is 390 miles door to door. The first is Harris Ranch where I need to get to 50 percent (less than 15 minutes) to make it to the Bakersfield EA, there I need 90 percent to make the rest of the trip, I usually have about 28 percent left when I reach my brothers house. Doing a rough calculation of the cost of charging both EV's, right now it's around or under $60 per month for both. Once the Sunrun is up and running it will be a straight $137 a month for the panels, which is less than my monthly summer electricity bill.

Hopefully in the next two years I will replace my 2013 Sienna with an SUV EV with at least a 350 mile range
Old 06-17-22, 10:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDlexus
​​​​​​Ditto @AMIRZA786 . My wife's Q7 lease is up in November and have been considering the Polestar 3 as a replacement. I will either extend my lease ~ 6mos or buy it out until the P3 is available. Maybe early 2023.
Recently broke 15K miles and 1 year. Still LOVIN it!
It's such a fricken great car! I had low expectations, I had no idea if I could actually properly trip this car long distance, how it would handle high speeds...it's very efficient even at 85 mph, has full power to motors all the way to 100 mph! I was also worried about driving it in high temps going to SoCal, but even with the AC blasting it stays really cool and energy usage never got above 33.8 at 80 mph in over 100 F heat. Also it handles really well in curvy mountain roads and is so stable at any speed. I'm definitely looking at the Polestar 3 SUV as one of my options
Old 06-17-22, 11:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1

You got fantastic range going at that speed. I've done road trips many times now in my Model 3 and I think its a vastly better experience than with my minivan. I drive ~3 hours and then take a 30 minute break to eat or do a Starbucks run perfect amount of time to charge the car. Autopilot is so damn good on the interstate too...no fatigue on long trips. Did you see a ton of Teslas driving on I-5 too? I feel a lot of people are now road tripping their EVs in California.

I also have solar from Sunrun, I'm waiting for the final approval from PG&E, it was spec out to cover 199 percent of my energy use, including AC in the summer and two EV's. I currently have 1 panel from Solar City (now Tesla), but it barely covers 50 percent of my energy needs, and Tesla has been very unresponsive about upgrading it.

I have to make two stops when going to my brothers house in Eastvale, which is 390 miles door to door. The first is Harris Ranch where I need to get to 50 percent (less than 15 minutes) to make it to the Bakersfield EA, there I need 90 percent to make the rest of the trip, I usually have about 28 percent left when I reach my brothers house. Doing a rough calculation of the cost of charging both EV's, right now it's around or under $60 per month for both. Once the Sunrun is up and running it will be a straight $137 a month for the panels, which is less than my monthly summer electricity bill.

Hopefully in the next two years I will replace my 2013 Sienna with an SUV EV with at least a 350 mile range
I just got my TeslaTap for my EV6 and it now can use my 40 Amp Tesla charger. Gas near us is almost $7 so I just smile when I pass by it

I just paid up front for my solar as I plan to live in this house for a long time. I will break even soon meaning electricity prices have risen so much due to infrastructure upgrades that I will exceed my breakeven point much faster than anticipated. The utilities in so-cal have been upgrading their infra because it was them that caused a couple massive fires that destroyed billions of dollars of property. Of course they pass this along to the consumer...good thing I got my system before all the price increases. Thats one thing you can't do with gas...hedge pricing with your own infrastructure
Old 06-17-22, 06:01 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You got fantastic range going at that speed. I've done road trips many times now in my Model 3 and I think its a vastly better experience than with my minivan. I drive ~3 hours and then take a 30 minute break to eat or do a Starbucks run perfect amount of time to charge the car. Autopilot is so damn good on the interstate too...no fatigue on long trips. Did you see a ton of Teslas driving on I-5 too? I feel a lot of people are now road tripping their EVs in California.

I just got my TeslaTap for my EV6 and it now can use my 40 Amp Tesla charger. Gas near us is almost $7 so I just smile when I pass by it

I just paid up front for my solar as I plan to live in this house for a long time. I will break even soon meaning electricity prices have risen so much due to infrastructure upgrades that I will exceed my breakeven point much faster than anticipated. The utilities in so-cal have been upgrading their infra because it was them that caused a couple massive fires that destroyed billions of dollars of property. Of course they pass this along to the consumer...good thing I got my system before all the price increases. Thats one thing you can't do with gas...hedge pricing with your own infrastructure
Same for us, as comfortable as the Y is the family can only handle about 3-3.5 hrs on the road before needing a stop. Averaged about 295 Wh/m on I-5 at 80-85 MPH for hours, which is pretty good but still much higher than my lifetime average of 252 Wh/m (25.2 kWh/100 miles for @AMIRZA786 ).

Saw many EVs on I-5, mostly Teslas, and much more than our last roadtrip to Yellowstone two years ago. Superchargers are also more occupied as EV adoption continues to grow, but still open stalls available. On our way back we stopped at the Kettlemen Supercharger, the one with the private Tesla lounge. In the 10 minutes it took us all to finish a bathroom break the car recharged 40% and we didn’t even start to eat yet!
Old 06-17-22, 09:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ

I'm assuming the Tesla Tap only allows you to use a Tesla home charger with an non-Tesla EV, is that correct?
Old 06-17-22, 09:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I'm assuming the Tesla Tap only allows you to use a Tesla home charger with an non-Tesla EV, is that correct?
Yeah. You can use it at destination chargers too.
Old 06-17-22, 09:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah. You can use it at destination chargers too.
How does that work if I were to go to a Tesla public charger in a non Tesla EV? How would they bill you?
Old 06-17-22, 09:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

How does that work if I were to go to a Tesla public charger in a non Tesla EV? How would they bill you?
Destination chargers are the ones at Hotels or Restaurants that have the level 2 Tesla specific chargers. These are all AC chargers. Usually free.
Old 06-17-22, 09:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Destination chargers are the ones at Hotels or Restaurants that have the level 2 Tesla specific chargers. These are all AC chargers. Usually free.
OK, that's what I thought
Old 06-21-22, 11:59 AM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

2.2 out today with CarPlay. can't wait to get my OTA update
Old 06-21-22, 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
2.2 out today with CarPlay. can't wait to get my OTA update
Anything else in the update other than CarPlay? I'm an Android user, so CarPlay not very useful to me

EDIT

Nevermine, just saw the release notes on the Polestar forum!
Old 06-21-22, 12:14 PM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

there's always the "improved efficiency" for everyone
Old 06-21-22, 12:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bowser
there's always the "improved efficiency" for everyone
Last two updates I definitely had efficiency improvements. When I first got the car, I was averaging above 35 kWh per 100 miles, now I'm averaging 33.8 kWh per 100 miles. Also last update they fixed the issue with leaving a door open where before it would say "key not detected". Now it actually shows which door was left open

Quick Reply: 2021 PoleStar 2