EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla doubles down on system to prevent gas cars ‘ICEing’ Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21 | 08:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Default Tesla doubles down on system to prevent gas cars ‘ICEing’ Superchargers

So funny that this is even a problem.

Tesla doubles down on system to prevent gas cars ‘ICEing’ Superchargers, integrates it in its app

Fred Lambert

Tesla is doubling down on a system to prevent people from blocking or “ICEing” Supercharger stalls and even integrates it into its mobile app.

The term “ICEing” a charging station is used in the EV community to describe ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles occupying a space for an EV at a charging station.

Many places have implemented fines for parking at a charging station without charging, which has discouraged people from doing it, but in markets where those don’t exist, it can be a real problem.

In some cases, people have been doing it on purpose to make some kind of point against electric vehicles.

In China, Tesla took an interesting approach to try to prevent ICEing a Supercharger.

In 2019, it started to deploy floor locking devices that pop up from the ground at some new Supercharging stations:

They started to appear at some new Supercharger stations being deployed by Tesla in the country.

However, the device complicated the generally smooth Supercharger experience since Tesla owners had to use a QR code and a third-party app to operate the floor locking devices.

In recent weeks, Tesla appears to be doubling down on this system.The devices started to be implemented at every new charging station that Tesla deployed in China.

Here are just the most recent examples:

Tesla Supercharger in Xiamen – Baitong Science Park

Tesla Supercharger in Tianjin – Tianjin Keji city

Tesla Supercharger in Urumqi-Dehui Plaza

The ramp-up in the deployment of this system at Supercharger stations coincides with Tesla actually integrating the system in its mobile app.

Last month, Tesla released a new update to its mobile app, and Electrek found some media assets related to the floor locks.

They did not appear in the app, but it turns out that they do in China where Tesla now lets drivers unlock the devices directly from the app:

While it still adds a step to the Supercharging experience, it is now much easier since it doesn’t send you to a third-party app or requires the use of a QR code.

Following this new integration, it looks like Tesla is now implementing the system at all new Supercharger stations in China.

It’s unclear at this point if Tesla plans to expand the system to other markets.

What do you think? Do you want to see this being implemented in your market? Let us know in the comments section below.
Old 12-09-21 | 08:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

All this just gets passed on to the Tesla consumer. Just adds to the costs somehow.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-09-21 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-09-21 | 09:14 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Doesn't look like it would stop lifted vehicles from ICEing. And regular vehicles could just park in the first half of the space without driving over the floor lock if they wanted to prevent access. It's a start, but I think there's still plenty of room to adapt and improve on the current design.
Old 12-09-21 | 09:20 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Doesn't look like it would stop lifted vehicles from ICEing. And regular vehicles could just park in the first half of the space without driving over the floor lock if they wanted to prevent access. It's a start, but I think there's still plenty of room to adapt and improve on the current design.
This is for China. I'm thinking you'll need a much higher bar for the US...especially in the midwest
Old 12-09-21 | 09:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This wouldn't stop blocking of chargers on the Interstate. I saw a guy off of I-5 at the 198 exit near Harris Ranch purposely park his truck and horse trailer in front of the chargers, blocked about 6 or 8 of them. By the time you would call to get a tow truck or cop out there 30 minutes went by and they are gone. As long as the DMV issues licenses to 12 year olds this will continue to happen
Old 12-09-21 | 10:02 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Glad they finally recognize this is a problem. When I had my EV, it was infuriating when an ICE car would be parked in the charging spot.
Old 12-09-21 | 10:21 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

This is stupid. This shouldn't be needed if people aren't asses, leave the stations alone if you aren't using them.
Old 12-10-21 | 11:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I wonder about people with handicapped placards. A lot under law here in Florida allows them to trump any other restricted parking space such as expectant mothers for example.
Old 12-10-21 | 11:49 AM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by Striker223
This is stupid. This shouldn't be needed if people aren't asses, leave the stations alone if you aren't using them.
sadly many people are and will continue to be, hence the many other laws we have!
Old 12-10-21 | 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
sadly many people are and will continue to be, hence the many other laws we have!
Like I said, the DMV needs to stop issuing drivers licenses to 12 year olds
Old 12-10-21 | 03:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Does a non electric car have the legal right to park in a Tesla charging spot?
Old 12-10-21 | 04:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No. You can get ticketed or towed. Tesla leases or owns the land and it's private property.
Old 12-10-21 | 04:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The answer is no in California. Other states I don't know about. Tesla owns those spots, even Tesla's have to leave once charged. Let me reverse this. Imagine parking an EV in front of a busy gas station blocking pumps. On purpose. That person would probably get some choice words hurled at them. Or worse