EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-24, 10:08 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Than you haven't really off roaded . I can bet you anything if you tried some of the offroading I did in my Samurai you would've gotten stuck. The Cybertruck can do all the basic off roading, it runs into problems with deep mud and steep slopes where you need power in all wheels
Ohhhh yes I have. Lol.

LC/LX have claws right off the bat with a Torsen center diff and FT4WD.
Old 04-22-24, 10:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Ohhhh yes I have. Lol.

Well there you go....Torsen is a locking diff. That's why you are able to off road so well. You're LC/LX currently has an advantage over the CT, which is set to open diff right now
Old 04-22-24, 10:16 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Ohhhh yes I have. Lol.

Old 04-22-24, 10:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

The reason why a Land Cruiser off roads so well is it has raised suspension, and four locking diffs. I had a Suzuki Samurai that had no power and was a piece of junk, but it had raised suspension, off road tires, and four locking diffs (manual), so I could off road it anywhere. I couldn't off road it until I actually got out of it, and manually locked the diffs. Without locking the diffs, it would get stuck in mud or sand, or have trouble going up a steep incline.
It feels like you're conflating two very different things. I'm not aware of any normal vehicle with four locking diffs, or what the purpose of the 4th would be, should such a thing exist. It's possible some super-exotic 6x6 has them, but traditional 4-wheeled vehicles have at most three differentials: The center, which is what allows on-road-capable (this detail will become important later) 4wd in the first place, and the front and rear for each axle. Any and all of these can potentially be locked, to evenly divide the torque either between axles (center) or between the wheels on an axle (front/rear). The Land Cruiser has 3, and all 3 are lockable.

When you talk about getting out of the Samurai, you were locking the hubs, not the diffs. Many part-time 4WD vehicles leverage locking hubs so that the front portion of the driveline (prop shaft, differential, axles) does not have to spin when you're driving around in 2WD mode. The wheels can just spin freely on their own just like any RWD vehicle, which reduces wear and improves fuel economy. The hub locks "attach" the wheel to that driveline so it can receive power when 4WD is engaged. Those locks can be manual, as they were in your Samurai. This type is simpler, and was commonly found on cheaper and/or older vehicles. Or they can be automatic, where they are controlled either electronically or via engine vacuum. If you drove an Explorer around the time you had your Samurai, you would have had hubs which were automatically engaged when you pushed the "4x4" button on the dash.

Now, to totally blow your mind: Your Samurai had ZERO locking diffs. The front and rear differentials were open, and lockers or spools are one of the more popular upgrades for hardcore modified offroaders. However, remember when we talked about on-road-capable 4wd, often called full-time 4wd? That requires a center differential, which your Samurai did not have. However, the transfer case had an even front/rear torque split when 4wd was engaged, and therefore behaved the same way as a center differential that was locked all the time and could not be unlocked.

Bring this all back to the Cybertruck. No EV with 2 or more motors will ever have a center differential, locking or not. It's simply not necessary, would add weight and complexity, and dramatically reduce range, because the diff and the front/rear driveshafts would take up tons of precious battery space. Place the motors at each end, and you're done. The two-motor CT has two differentials, one driven by each motor. I don't believe either one has a locker, but I'm not 100% positive on that. (Edit: upon looking, they appear to be equipped with magnetic locks). The Tri-motor, only has one, in the front. In Cyberbeast trim, it has a mechanical locker. The rear has no differential because the rear wheels aren't connected to one another in any way, they each have their own motor and can therefore be controlled independently. This has the opportunity to be better than a locker, as each side can be driven differently based on the available traction. How much better depends entirely on software.

Rivian takes this to its logical conclusion, with 4 motors--one per wheel--and some pretty sophisticated software to control how much power each gets based on your drive settings and the available traction. No diffs, no lockers, no problems.

Last edited by geko29; 04-22-24 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 10:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Main problem with the Rivian is that the truck is heavy AF and if you're stuck with a single motor trying to get yourself over something, there probably isn't enough oomph there to get you over the hump
Old 04-22-24, 10:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Well there you go....Torsen is a locking diff. That's why you are able to off road so well. You're LC/LX currently has an advantage over the CT, which is set to open diff right now
Right, but I've never needed to lock it ever. There's a dedicated button.

CT has massive advantage over me in terms of flash and display.
Old 04-22-24, 10:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
It feels like you're conflating two very different things. I'm not aware of any normal vehicle with four locking diffs, or what the purpose of the 4th would be, should such a thing exist. It's possible some super-exotic 6x6 has them, but traditional 4-wheeled vehicles have at most three differentials: The center, which is what allows on-road-capable (this detail will become important later) 4wd in the first place, and the front and rear for each axle. Any and all of these can potentially be locked, to evenly divide the torque either between axles (center) or between the wheels on an axle (front/rear). The Land Cruiser has 3, and all 3 are lockable.

When you talk about getting out of the Samurai, you were locking the hubs, not the diffs. Many part-time 4WD vehicles leverage locking hubs so that the front portion of the driveline (prop shaft, differential, axles) does not have to spin when you're driving around in 2WD mode. The wheels can just spin freely on their own just like any RWD vehicle, which reduces wear and improves fuel economy. The hub locks "attach" the wheel to that driveline so it can receive power when 4WD is engaged. Those locks can be manual, as they were in your Samurai. This type is simpler, and was commonly found on cheaper and/or older vehicles. Or they can be automatic, where they are controlled either electronically or via engine vacuum. If you drove an Explorer around the time you had your Samurai, you would have had hubs which were automatically engaged when you pushed the "4x4" button on the dash.

Now, to totally blow your mind: Your Samurai had ZERO locking diffs. The front and rear differentials were open, and lockers or spools are one of the more popular upgrades for hardcore modified offroaders. However, remember when we talked about on-road-capable 4wd, often called full-time 4wd? That requires a center differential, which your Samurai did not have. However, the transfer case had an even front/rear torque split when 4wd was engaged, and therefore behaved the same way as a center differential that was locked all the time and could not be unlocked.

Bring this all back to the Cybertruck. No EV with 2 or more motors will ever have a center differential, locking or not. It's simply not necessary, would add weight and complexity, and dramatically reduce range, because the diff and the front/rear driveshafts would take up tons of precious battery space. Place the motors at each end, and you're done. The two-motor CT has two differentials, one driven by each motor. I don't believe either one has a locker, but I'm not 100% positive on that. The Tri-motor, only has one, in the front. In Cyberbeast trim, it has a mechanical locker. The rear has no differential because the rear wheels aren't connected to one another in any way, they each have their own motor and can therefore be controlled independently. This has the opportunity to be better than a locker, as each side can be driven differently based on the available traction. How much better depends entirely on software.

Rivian takes this to its logical conclusion, with 4 motors--one per wheel--and some pretty sophisticated software to control how much power each gets based on your drive settings and the available traction. No diffs, no lockers, no problems.
Haha now you are bringing back memories! Now that I think back (this was 1987), I only manually locked the front wheels when off-roading, not all four wheels. And thanks for explaining, the Land Cruiser does have 3 lockable. Keep in mind, the Samurai was the only "Off-Road" vehicle I ever owned, and man, did I take it off road, once getting it tangled in barbed wire . The Samurai ended up totalled, someone made a left turn in front of me while I had a green.

As I understand with the Cybertruck, the Off-Road mode (Called Off-Road Assist) is currently disabled (greyed out), at least that's what I read in Tesla Motor club

And damn, kudos for your vehicle knowledge. Hats off to you

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 04-22-24 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-22-24, 11:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Right, but I've never needed to lock it ever. There's a dedicated button.

CT has massive advantage over me in terms of flash and display.
Torsen is a mechanical self locking diff, you don't need to lock it. I was going to put one, or a similar LSD in my IS350, but decided it wasn't worth the expense since I never tracked the car
Old 04-22-24, 11:57 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Off road, I’m taking this over the Tesla truck. 🤣
Attached Files
File Type: mov
RPReplay_Final1713811810.mov (15.51 MB, 13 views)
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (04-22-24)
Old 04-22-24, 12:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Off road, I’m taking this over the Tesla truck. 🤣
Oh hell yeah 🤣
Old 04-22-24, 12:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Torsen is a mechanical self locking diff, you don't need to lock it. I was going to put one, or a similar LSD in my IS350, but decided it wasn't worth the expense since I never tracked the car
Yes you do, if you need a 50/50 split to get out of something really bad. In normal use it's 65/35 and when not locked, the Torsen adjusts the power to the axle with the most grip so it's fine.
Old 04-22-24, 12:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yes you do, if you need a 50/50 split to get out of something really bad. In normal use it's 65/35 and when not locked, the Torsen adjusts the power to the axle with the most grip so it's fine.
I get that, I'm not talking about front/rear distribution. What I'm talking about is the diff will lock when needed, mechanically locking the axles together so they spin at the same speed. An Open diff would spin only one wheel, which wouldn't be much help getting out of mud. Another words, you couldn't do a one wheel burnout . If you were stuck, you would use the button to get additional traction. The difference is, the Cybertruck without Off Road assist enabled doesn't have that option, power is not being distributed to get it out of tricky situations
Old 04-22-24, 02:48 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

The CT has some key off-road features currently disabled. You can't really compare until the full feature set has been made available.

The off-road specs on the 2013 to 2015 LX are 25 degree approach, 20 degree departure, 23 degree breakover, 8.9 inch ground clearance and 28 inch wade. There's a marginal improvements with AHC in high. Cybertruck has much better ground clearance, a much higher approach and departure angle, and with the features fully enabled it's going to be quite formidable off road.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (04-22-24), spwolf (04-25-24)
Old 04-22-24, 05:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
The CT has some key off-road features currently disabled. You can't really compare until the full feature set has been made available.

The off-road specs on the 2013 to 2015 LX are 25 degree approach, 20 degree departure, 23 degree breakover, 8.9 inch ground clearance and 28 inch wade. There's a marginal improvements with AHC in high. Cybertruck has much better ground clearance, a much higher approach and departure angle, and with the features fully enabled it's going to be quite formidable off road.
Someone meet me at Windrock with a CT! I'll even leave my street tires on.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (04-22-24)
Old 04-22-24, 05:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Someone meet me at Windrock with a CT! I'll even leave my street tires on.
Lol aren't we full of confidence 🤣

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck