EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 06:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpog04rpO2Y

As Roman puts it: An off-road truck designed by on-road people. Laughable performance on the trail. Everybody who thinks it's going to be the off-roader to end all off-roaders doesn't off-road.
They said at the beginning that they don't have the software update for the diffs yet, so they even trying this was moronic and done for views. How about if the Raptor was taken up there with no locking diff? Useless review IMO
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (05-14-24), Hameed (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 06:28 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
They said at the beginning that they don't have the software update for the diffs yet, so they even trying this was moronic and done for views. How about if the Raptor was taken up there with no locking diff? Useless review IMO
I can't believe these so called "professionals" would even try going offroad with a truck that they know needs an update for the very terrain they're testing it on.

It's like me wearing pair of formal dress shoes and going hiking in the woods 🤔
Old 05-14-24, 06:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
I can't believe these so called "professionals" would even try going offroad with a truck that they know needs an update for the very terrain they're testing it on.

Because they are ****ing morons and paid to make the Cyber Truck look bad, why else? I'm not a fan of it myself, but I know it's a capable truck, Top Gear already showed it is
Old 05-14-24, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

As Roman puts it: An off-road truck designed by on-road people. Laughable performance on the trail. Everybody who thinks it's going to be the off-roader to end all off-roaders doesn't off-road.
who's 'everybody'? what i've seen is comments that it will be a lot more capable when they update the software (and enable diffs, etc).

but i've not seen any claims it will be "the off roader to end all off roaders"

Originally Posted by Hameed
oh i can... anything for clicks/likes/views.

or cycling 100km in stiletto heels and a tutu
The following users liked this post:
Hameed (05-14-24)
Old 05-14-24, 08:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Because they are ****ing morons and paid to make the Cyber Truck look bad, why else? I'm not a fan of it myself, but I know it's a capable truck, Top Gear already showed it is
That's quite the accusation. Do you have proof that they were paid to attack the CT?

Old 05-14-24, 08:15 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe Tesla should incide the feature the was paid for if they want the bragging rights as the best off-road vehicle the the fans claim it is.

My locker worked from day 1.
Old 05-14-24, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Remember back in the good ol days when a vehicle didn’t need software updates to perform its intended use?
Old 05-14-24, 09:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Maybe Tesla should incide the feature the was paid for if they want the bragging rights as the best off-road vehicle the the fans claim it is.

My locker worked from day 1.
They should have, but that's not how Tesla always does things, Tesla fully disclosed this to it's buyers who could have backed out of their reservations if they weren't happy about it. For whatever reason, most likely the software wasn't ready when the truck was released. And those guys knew it, admitted it, and still took out knowing the results. Which makes them completely dishonest. If you want to see how it performs off-road with the software, see the Top Gear video.

I always say if you don't like the way Tesla does things, don't buy one, which I fully respect. But to purposely take it out when they know the diffs are not functional yet is dishonest just going after views

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 05-14-24 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-14-24, 09:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Remember back in the good ol days when a vehicle didn’t need software updates to perform its intended use?
I'm not always happy about the way Tesla does things, but I can say over time they continually make their cars better, like the case with my Model Y. Today it's a better car than it was a year ago when I bought it. I'm so happy with it that I'm replacing my Polestar with a Model 3 Performance in Jan, and when my wife's Ioniq 5's lease is up next June with another Model Y
Old 05-14-24, 09:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

That's quite the accusation. Do you have proof that they were paid to attack the CT?
Taking a Truck out on a steep off road course when they well know it's diff's weren't activated is proof enough that they have an agenda. They knew what the result was going to be, if they didn't and did it for free, that just makes them stupider than I thought
bitkahuna (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I always say if you don't like the way Tesla does things, don't buy one, which I fully respect. But to purposely take it out when they know the diffs are not functional yet is dishonest just going after views
More Tesla apologizing. No other carmaker would get a pass for selling a vehicle that was not yet capable of doing what the manufacturer said it could do. Only Tesla would get a pass for that and only with Tesla would reviewers who point that out be the ones who are called charlatans lol. Elon Musk is king of the Charlatans lol. Teslas motto should be “over promising and under delivering since 2010”

They took YEARS to bring this vehicle to market from where they started taking people’s money for it. inexcusable that the product after all those years was still waiting on updates to be capable.

“if you don’t like that don’t buy it” nobody should “like that”! You like waiting years for a product after giving them your money, paying $100k and then it still isn’t complete after you have bought it?

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-15-24 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 06:13 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

More Tesla apologizing. No other carmaker would get a pass for selling a vehicle that was not yet capable of doing what the manufacturer said it could do. Only Tesla would get a pass for that and only with Tesla would reviewers who point that out be the ones who are called charlatans lol. Elon Musk is king of the Charlatans lol. Teslas motto should be “over promising and under delivering since 2010”

They took YEARS to bring this vehicle to market from where they started taking people’s money for it. inexcusable that the product after all those years was still waiting on updates to be capable.

“if you don’t like that don’t buy it” nobody should “like that”! You like waiting years for a product after giving them your money, paying $100k and then it still isn’t complete after you have bought it?
It's a strategy that cuts both ways, so I'm torn. Vehicles get to market sooner and can take more design risks by being able to defer features if needed (even if it still took forever in the case of Cybertruck).

It's only viable to even do recently because remote software updates are so easy for companies like Tesla. I think testing it when you know it's not complete and going to do terribly is fair game. That's the current state of the vehicle and provides some accountability as to what "is" and what "could be". Saying you can't test the truck off-road until x update is pretty much the same as saying you can't complain about FSD until it's completely done.

Last edited by sg021; 05-15-24 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sg021
It's a strategy that cuts both ways, so I'm torn. Vehicles get to market sooner and can take more design risks by being able to defer features if needed (even if it still took forever in the case of Cybertruck).

It's only viable to even do recently because remote software updates are so easy for companies like Tesla.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the downside is an FSD situation where you never actually get the feature finished.
How can you say "vehicles get to market sooner" when this vehicle took 5 years to be delivered after customers were asked to put down deposits for them when it was presented as a mainly finished product? The delivery expectations were extended again and again and again. They present a product as basically completed when really its just a dummy on the stage. Where is the roadster? How about the robot? So much of Tesla is flim flam and smoke and mirrors.
Old 05-15-24, 06:20 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Nobody is apologizing for Tesla, I'm talking about the dishonesty of the reviewers. Have you watched the Top Gear review where it had the software update? That review seems to be ignored and now it's a terrible off road vehicle because they took it out knowing it didn't have the update yet. Are they going to do another review after the update and change their conclusion? When it gets the update, they take it to the same trail and it fails, then we can have a different conversation.
Old 05-15-24, 06:20 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

How can you say "vehicles get to market sooner" when this vehicle took 5 years to be delivered after customers were asked to put down deposits for them? The delivery expectations were extended again and again and again. They present a product as basically completed when really its just a dummy on the stage. Where is the roadster? How about the robot? So much of Tesla is flim flam and smoke and mirrors.
If they still had to do the locking diff before it went out, it obviously wouldn't be on the market yet
AMIRZA786 (05-15-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck