EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 06:27 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

In defense of the reviewers, you review the product you have and not the product you may get.
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
FrankReynoldsCPA (05-15-24), swajames (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24, 07:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
In defense of the reviewers, you review the product you have and not the product you may get.
Ok, fair enough. But they are supposed to be professional off roaders, and someone who is an experienced off roader would probably know you don't take a vehicle that doesn't have active locking diffs to a course like that. But fair enough to your statement
Old 05-15-24, 07:58 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
If they still had to do the locking diff before it went out, it obviously wouldn't be on the market yet
Do you really think so? IMO it just seems like Tesla doesn't really care / has this as any priority. It won't stop their customer base from purchasing.

The Cybertruck was released in December, For a supposed "AI" company, its taken 6 months and counting to include locking diffs? Either its of extremely low priority for Tesla or they are not that good at software. I would think its the former.
Old 05-15-24, 08:06 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Do you really think so? IMO it just seems like Tesla doesn't really care / has this as any priority. It won't stop their customer base from purchasing.

The Cybertruck was released in December, For a supposed "AI" company, its taken 6 months and counting to include locking diffs? Either its of extremely low priority for Tesla or they are not that good at software. I would think its the former.
There has to be more to the story that they're not telling us

If the locking diffs are enabled electronically, it's just a matter of coding it in.

And that's the easy part, coding it in like a button on their already existing touch screen.
Old 05-15-24, 08:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla is extremely good at software, just not at priorities. The software improvements they made on my model Y is mind blowing. Why would they prioritize locking diffs when 99.9 percent of their customers won't even see a day off road? In SoCal they are everywhere, and wrapped beautifully, easily $6 to $12k. Nobody is going to take an expensive pink wrapped vehicle off road.

Anyway, speaking of the devil, just took this pic

Old 05-15-24, 08:55 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tesla is extremely good at software, just not at priorities. The software improvements they made on my model Y is mind blowing. Why would they prioritize locking diffs when 99.9 percent of their customers won't even see a day off road? In SoCal they are everywhere, and wrapped beautifully, easily $6 to $12k. Nobody is going to take an expensive pink wrapped vehicle off road.

Anyway, speaking of the devil, just took this pic

Which is exactly my point. If Tesla wanted the cybertruck to have locking diffs already, it would have. It wouldn't have delayed sales 6+ months.

So why should a youtube reviewer wait until Tesla decides to add locking diffs? Tesla didn't give any estimated time when the feature will be released. Even if they did, it means nothing since they can't keep their deadlines. Don't blame the youtuber, blame Tesla for releasing a 3/4 baked product and not caring to get all the promised features released.
Old 05-15-24, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Nobody is apologizing for Tesla, I'm talking about the dishonesty of the reviewers. Have you watched the Top Gear review where it had the software update? That review seems to be ignored and now it's a terrible off road vehicle because they took it out knowing it didn't have the update yet. Are they going to do another review after the update and change their conclusion? When it gets the update, they take it to the same trail and it fails, then we can have a different conversation.
The car they had didn’t have that update and they reviewed what they had.

Originally Posted by sg021
If they still had to do the locking diff before it went out, it obviously wouldn't be on the market yet
Good. It should be put on the market when it’s a finished product.

Accusing the reviewers of being dishonest by reviewing the product Tesla has sold consumers is apologizing for Tesla.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Exactly.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
Blaze876 (05-15-24), FrankReynoldsCPA (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24, 09:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Which is exactly my point. If Tesla wanted the cybertruck to have locking diffs already, it would have. It wouldn't have delayed sales 6+ months.

So why should a youtube reviewer wait until Tesla decides to add locking diffs? Tesla didn't give any estimated time when the feature will be released. Even if they did, it means nothing since they can't keep their deadlines. Don't blame the youtuber, blame Tesla for releasing a 3/4 baked product and not caring to get all the promised features released.
You're talking Apples, I'm talking Oranges. I'm not absolving Tesla, my opinion is the Cyber Truck was a big vanity project (like the Model X) and a waste of resources. My problem is that it's already been proven that it's a good off-roader when the software is updated, but everyone ignores that because a Youtuber decides to off road one that doesn't have the software update. So now it's a terrible off roader. Anyway, I don't care one way or another, I have no plans to buy one
Old 05-15-24, 09:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The car they had didn’t have that update and they reviewed what they had.
And based on that knowledge they concluded it was a terrible off roader, when in fact it's well known that Top Gear did an off road test with the software. Hmmmm, sounds fair to me from "professionals"
Old 05-15-24, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And based on that knowledge they concluded it was a terrible off roader, when in fact it's well known that Top Gear did an off road test with the software. Hmmmm, sounds fair to me from "professionals"
If Tesla wants to furnish them one with the update to review I’m sure they would make a review with their thoughts on the update.
Old 05-15-24, 09:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

If Tesla wants to furnish them one with the update to review I’m sure they would make a review with their thoughts on the update.
If I'm not mistaken, I think they bought it. Correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't watch all the way to the end
Old 05-15-24, 09:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If I'm not mistaken, I think they bought it. Correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't watch all the way to the end
So, they are reviewing the vehicle they themselves paid money for…even more unfair to say that they are dishonest lol
Old 05-15-24, 09:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So, they are reviewing the vehicle they themselves paid money for…even more unfair to say that they are dishonest lol
Youtubers buy vehicles all the time then sell them. Here's honest: "We were disappointed we paid all this money for a truck that didn't have the diff's enabled". Dishonest is concluding it's not a good off-road vehicle based on driving it without the diffs enabled unless you know nothing about off roading. I'm not an off roader yet I know that you can't take a vehicle with Open Diffs on course that difficult. So either they are off road professionals being dishonest, or they are newbies who don't understand that no vehicle will perform well off road if you can't lock the diffs. BTW, there was a Lightning owner who did negative reviews of his Lightning to get views, and even apologized for it when his videos went viral on Fox News.

Anyway I've said my piece, I'm done on this
Old 05-15-24, 09:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The point is the vehicle should have had locking diffs from release.
Old 05-15-24, 09:43 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The point is the vehicle should have had locking diffs from release.
You won't get an argument from me on that point

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck