EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24 | 01:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I saw 2 of them today!
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24 | 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so now i see what this kerfuffle is about... it's tfl... a couple of biggest buffoon youtube reviewers ever.

Originally Posted by Allen K
In defense of the reviewers, you review the product you have and not the product you may get.
they could have waited for the software update (which they knew was coming) before doing the review. but no, they chose to review it without lockers comparing to a raptor with lockers. sounds fair.

Originally Posted by Margate330
If the locking diffs are enabled electronically, it's just a matter of coding it in.
And that's the easy part, coding it in like a button on their already existing touch screen.
likely not that simple... we're not talking about a traditional drivetrain. 'lockers' have to be coordinated the drivetrain motors, traction control, etc.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The car they had didn’t have that update and they reviewed what they had.
yup... set up the straw man to fail to get clicks/views/likes.

Good. It should be put on the market when it’s a finished product.
your opinion noted. no one forced people (including these buffoon reviewers) to buy them.

Accusing the reviewers of being dishonest by reviewing the product Tesla has sold consumers is apologizing for Tesla.
i don't consider them dishonest, just whoring (doing whatever) for views like so many others.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Taking a Truck out on a steep off road course when they well know it's diff's weren't activated is proof enough that they have an agenda. They knew what the result was going to be, if they didn't and did it for free, that just makes them stupider than I thought

No other carmaker would get a pass for selling a vehicle that was not yet capable of doing what the manufacturer said it could do.
remember during covid with supply chain headaches and luxury cars coming without heated seats and many other features?

Teslas motto should be “over promising and under delivering since 2010”
haha. what other trucks have 4 wheel steering, a motorized tonneau cover, air suspension all around, best in class audio system, and more?

tesla is certainly 'unusual' in how they go about things, and i've been very critical of the FSD which still isn't yet FSD. the new model 3 that's now out is remarkable too. it's the new bmw 3 series!

They took YEARS to bring this vehicle to market from where they started taking people’s money for it. inexcusable that the product after all those years was still waiting on updates to be capable.
easy to say from the side lines. i'm sure there's a reason. the cybertruck is obviously completely unique in design, manufacturing, feature set, etc., so was no doubt incredibly difficult to bring to actual customers at all. not excusing the length of time, and elon musk's ludicrous 'estimates'.

“if you don’t like that don’t buy it” nobody should “like that”! You like waiting years for a product after giving them your money, paying $100k and then it still isn’t complete after you have bought it?
i guarantee 99% of cybertruck owners couldn't care less about locking differentials.

If Tesla wants to furnish them one with the update to review I’m sure they would make a review with their thoughts on the update.
tesla doesn't provide press vehicles.

AMIRZA786 (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24 | 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
remember during covid with supply chain headaches and luxury cars coming without heated seats and many other features?
totally different situation.

haha. what other trucks have 4 wheel steering, a motorized tonneau cover, air suspension all around, best in class audio system, and more?
A Ram, except for the rear steering. Reason trucks don’t have rear steering is it weakens the rear suspension and reduces the trucks payload and towing capacity. Of course Tesla doesn’t care about that because this isn’t a real truck, it’s just a vanity vehicle lol

But the Ram has air suspension all around, incredible audio, an incredible interior, available power tonneau cover (which you can put on any truck) and on top of that is actually capable to use for work.
Old 05-15-24 | 07:10 PM
swajames
Pole Position

tesla doesn't provide press vehicles.
Of course they do. You only have to look at the myriad Model 3 Performance videos, recorded in advance and with coordinated releases right on launch day, to see that.
Old 05-15-24 | 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Of course they do. You only have to look at the myriad Model 3 Performance videos, recorded in advance and with coordinated releases right on launch day, to see that.
you're right they did a few for that one, but in the past have done almost none or none.
Old 05-15-24 | 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

But the Ram has air suspension all around, incredible audio, an incredible interior, available power tonneau cover (which you can put on any truck) and on top of that is actually capable to use for work.
happy for you that you think this is an 'incredible' interior. it's incredibly ugly to me.
oh and for '25, no more v8s, a turbo i6 now.

Old 05-15-24 | 08:44 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I definitely prefer that interior 100x over the minimalist interior of the Cybertruck.
SW17LS (05-16-24)
Old 05-16-24 | 06:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

happy for you that you think this is an 'incredible' interior. it's incredibly ugly to me.

Dramatically more appealing than the Cybertruck which is universally hideous inside and out lol, on top of being a vehicle with very little utility. That interior is also incredibly high quality with great materials and acres of leather, super comfortable. On top of that you can do work with it, you can tow, you can haul, you can configure it the way you need and want it for work with Ram boxes and bed rails etc. You won't find many actual pickup buyers who are considering a Cybertruck. All look and no function. Can't hold the lack of a V8 against the Ram when the CT has no engine at all lol, thus it can't tow, and can only be driven about 200 miles. Worthless IMO.

I just don't like weird fashion designed stuff like Cybertrucks, Hummers, etc. The ONLY reason to buy a Cybertruck is that one thinks its "cool". Nothing wrong with that but any argument that its "better" than a vehicle actually designed to make sense vs looking "cool" falls completely flat. The Ram, and any other real truck, is a much better truck than a Cybertruck.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-16-24 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-16-24 | 06:53 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

so now i see what this kerfuffle is about... it's tfl... a couple of biggest buffoon youtube reviewers ever.

they could have waited for the software update (which they knew was coming) before doing the review. but no, they chose to review it without lockers comparing to a raptor with lockers. sounds fair.
Tesla could've also waited to release until the full feature set was available FSD isn't going to be available on CTs until v12.5 according to Elon's latest tweets
SW17LS (05-16-24)
Old 05-16-24 | 07:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Tesla could've also waited to release until the full feature set was available
true but then they would get beat up for not shipping. Damned if they do...

anyone getting a cyber truck now knows it's not going to be perfect.

Did your Rivian have everything it has now when you got it? Including software features.
Old 05-16-24 | 07:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

They've got everything they promised at launch minus the tank turn which they've stated they aren't going to bring to market because it would cause too much damage to trails if it were used there. All of the software updates have been enhancements or new features. Main feature complaints on the subreddit is around the lack of native text message replies and Android Auto/CarPlay

I'm personally still waiting for mirrors to tilt down when put into reverse. Camera feeds don't do it for me.
Old 05-16-24 | 07:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Dramatically more appealing than the Cybertruck which is universally hideous inside and out lol, on top of being a vehicle with very little utility.
as you know i'm not a fan of the exterior design of the cybertruck!
interior is definitely plain and not luxurious!

That [ram] interior is also incredibly high quality with great materials and acres of leather, super comfortable.
hardly appropriate for a 'work' truck. i guarantee a truck like that doesn't get dirty on a construction job site.

and as you also know, i'm not impressed by 'acres' of dead cows.

that interior is just a giant mess of textures, colors, lines, squares, buttons galore, and i loathe vertical center screens like that.

but anyway, ram and cybertruck appeal to totally different buyers. to say the cybtertruck is all look and no function i think sells it short. of course some of its looks which affects function is due to aero needs for an ev.

The ONLY reason to buy a Cybertruck is that one thinks its "cool". Nothing wrong with that but any argument that its "better" than a vehicle actually designed to make sense vs looking "cool" falls completely flat.
not sure who your comment is aimed at, i never said a CT is 'better' than anything.
Old 05-16-24 | 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

hardly appropriate for a 'work' truck. i guarantee a truck like that doesn't get dirty on a construction job site.
Totally untrue. Remember I'm in the housing industry, builders drive these trucks around all the time and drive them onto jobsites and get them dirty, haul appliances in the back of them and stuff like that. This is a GREAT vehicle for a homebuilder who needs the functionality of a truck but wants and needs the comfort of a luxury car. The owner of the landscaping company that does my neighbor's yard was at my house this morning, guess what he was driving? One of these with lawnmowers and gas in the bed. My business partner operates our Property Management arm, and guess what he drives? One of these. Same reasons, he wants the comfort but he hauls appliances and stuff like that and tools etc.

You also have people who haul trailers and RVs and things like that and want to do it in comfort.

that interior is just a giant mess of textures, colors, lines, squares, buttons galore, and i loathe vertical center screens like that.

Its a Ward's 10 best interior award winner this year, so clearly many disagree.

but anyway, ram and cybertruck appeal to totally different buyers. to say the cybtertruck is all look and no function i think sells it short. of course some of its looks which affects function is due to aero needs for an ev.
You're the one that brought up other trucks. Comparing the Cybertruck to a real truck makes no sense.

What function does it have? As for looks, the F150 Lightning looks like a truck and has all the functionality of a truck (except for towing) and has similar range.

This is 100% a vanity vehicle

not sure who your comment is aimed at, i never said a CT is 'better' than anything.
You asked what other truck has all these things, which is to imply the CT is better than other trucks. In reality it doesn't have anything other trucks don't have other than the vanity looks and the silly power.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-16-24 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-16-24 | 10:53 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

That's a gorgeous interior, maybe a little busy but hey I could get comfy in there. Too many screens. But a CT isn't even in the same league as these.

T
You also have people who haul trailers and RVs and things like that and want to do it in comfort.
Yep, and they want the feeling of having plenty of capability in reserve from these when in use for stuff. That's part of it too I think.

For example, I put my LX in 2nd gear start to pull my boat out of the water when I do. Easy peasy. Now, sure I could leave it in Drive and just scoot right the hell out of there, but why would I??? You can tell there's something back there, yes, but still there's plenty of reserve. Remember my Civic story. At like 3-4 lights we were dead even racing---with me towing the boat. 5.7 is very strong.

CTs tow so fast, or they're so fast I'm worried people will be wrecking their trailers....
Old 05-16-24 | 10:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You're the one that brought up other trucks. Comparing the Cybertruck to a real truck makes no sense.p
you're quite right. it's too different to everything else.

What function does it have?
i assume that's asked rhetorically. of course it has function, just not the function that you think it should have like 'traditional' trucks.

This is 100% a vanity vehicle
what exactly do you mean by that? it's only bought by people who want the attention? is that the same for all sports cars? and luxury cars? some people buy cars because they like how unique they are. i got my lc500 because of that, not because of vanity.

You asked what other truck has all these things, which is to imply the CT is better than other trucks. In reality it doesn't have anything other trucks don't have other than the vanity looks and the silly power.
no ice trucks can be charged at home. no ice trucks have the turning radius of a CT. no ice truck pollutes as little.

saw this common sight at a light this morning. i guess this is a 'real' truck and not for vanity.

The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (05-16-24), Margate330 (05-16-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck