EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 01:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
true, but in response to you writing that it had "an incredible interior". and i couldn't care less about ward's awards. people are still allowed to have opinions. i know you like to use crowd shaming, but won't work.
But, we're not allowed to have the opinion that the Ram has an incredible interior. Got it.

If you want other people to respect your opinions...respect ours. Its simple. You like to dig at people when they like things you don't like and try and gaslight others into believing that what they prefer is somehow strange and unusual. Its not...thats why I brought up the Ward's award. Lots of fans of the Ram's interior clearly since it won that award. You're not a fan...we know and we don't care.

found this: Cybertruck has a 9% better turning radius than an F-150.
Turning radius is not something buyers of half ton pickups are worried about.

Like we have said repeatedly, comparing 1/2 ton trucks and the Cybertruck really makes no sense because they are different buyers. Nobody who wants or needs the capabilities of a 1/2 ton truck is going to consider a Cybertruck because it lacks most of those capabilities. It has other areas where it excels, but those aren't areas those 1/2 ton truck buyers really care about.

Old 05-17-24, 01:48 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Silverado EV is the only near term one that does an acceptable job of towing something heavy. They got ~250 miles of total range in a similar test towing a 6500 lb trailer. 232 miles travelled, 19 miles remaining range on the OBC that did seem to be adjusting for the lower efficiency. That compares quite favorably with 85 miles for the CT or 72 miles for the Lightning, and would be totally acceptable in most cases where towing is A thing your truck does, rather than THE thing it does.

Silverado EV has impressive towing range!! I forgot what speed they were traveling. Not bad nevertheless
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (05-17-24)
Old 05-17-24, 01:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Silverado EV is the only near term one that does an acceptable job of towing something heavy. They got ~250 miles of total range in a similar test towing a 6500 lb trailer. 232 miles travelled, 19 miles remaining range on the OBC that did seem to be adjusting for the lower efficiency. That compares quite favorably with 85 miles for the CT or 72 miles for the Lightning, and would be totally acceptable in most cases where towing is A thing your truck does, rather than THE thing it does.
Now if they could only shrink the battery pack 50 percent and keep it the same energy density, that would be the best option...a lighter vehicle, smaller battery which would mean more range from just the weight savings
Old 05-17-24, 08:28 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

Follow up to the orgInal debunk of the Tesla claim that cybertruck can beat a 911 while towing a 911.

an excellent video drilling deep into the physics, engineering and most of all math behind the Tesla claim, revisiting the hypothesis, theory and then instrumented results from the experiments.

TL;DR/TL/DW - Tesla was indeed bull****ting. Every advantage was given to the Tesla, and it was interesting to learn more about how Tesla cherry-picked pretty hard to make the bogus claim. Regardless, the original debunking stood up to both theoretical and practical validation. Gotta love math.

LexTess (05-17-24)
Old 05-17-24, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But, we're not allowed to have the opinion that the Ram has an incredible interior. Got it.
show me where i've said others are not allowed to have opinions. ridiculous.

If you want other people to respect your opinions...respect ours.
also ridiculous. i respect others have opinions and that they may well be different than mine. if i find an interior hideous yet you think it's awesome, that's just two opinions disagreeing. i havem't said you're "wrong".

Lots of fans of the Ram's interior clearly since it won that award. You're not a fan...we know and we don't care.
and that's your m.o. - writing for the "we" to isolate someone you disagree with. you're a fan and impressed by those types of interiors - more power to you.

Turning radius is not something buyers of half ton pickups are worried about.
and no one said they are - again, false strawman.

Like we have said repeatedly, comparing 1/2 ton trucks and the Cybertruck really makes no sense because they are different buyers. Nobody who wants or needs the capabilities of a 1/2 ton truck is going to consider a Cybertruck because it lacks most of those capabilities. It has other areas where it excels, but those aren't areas those 1/2 ton truck buyers really care about.
agreed... and yet a load of this thread has been about ice traditional trucks and all their virtues... funny that.
Old 05-17-24, 08:46 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Follow up to the orgInal debunk of the Tesla claim that cybertruck can beat a 911 while towing a 911.

an excellent video drilling deep into the physics, engineering and most of all math behind the Tesla claim, revisiting the hypothesis, theory and then instrumented results from the experiments.

TL;DR/TL/DW - Tesla was indeed bull****ting. Every advantage was given to the Tesla, and it was interesting to learn more about how Tesla cherry-picked pretty hard to make the bogus claim. Regardless, the original debunking stood up to both theoretical and practical validation. Gotta love math.

https://youtu.be/5J3H8--CQRE?si=oZMnvGxVDHk-AGmb

Is this the video explaining it wasn’t the 1/4 but instead the 1/8 mile?
Old 05-17-24, 09:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
show me where i've said others are not allowed to have opinions. ridiculous.

also ridiculous. i respect others have opinions and that they may well be different than mine. if i find an interior hideous yet you think it's awesome, that's just two opinions disagreeing. i havem't said you're "wrong".

and that's your m.o. - writing for the "we" to isolate someone you disagree with. you're a fan and impressed by those types of interiors - more power to you.

and no one said they are - again, false strawman.

agreed... and yet a load of this thread has been about ice traditional trucks and all their virtues... funny that.
All of this because I and others (and I’m not the only one who said so, Frank and AJT agreed with me…hence “we”) like an interior you don’t like.

Xanax. Get some. Sheesh.
Old 05-17-24, 11:47 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Is this the video explaining it wasn’t the 1/4 but instead the 1/8 mile?
Yes sir I believe you are correct.

At least that what I got from the video.

He does a very thorough job, I was impressed

BayeauxLex (05-18-24)
Old 05-18-24, 12:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames

https://youtu.be/5J3H8--CQRE?si=oZMnvGxVDHk-AGmb
Math was absolutely my worst subject . Personally, I don't really care. Doing high 12s while towing a 911 is in itself very impressive, even If they can't beat a 911 while towing one. Many companies are guilty of manipulation of the results of their products, so surprise surprise 🫢
Old 05-18-24, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Math was absolutely my worst subject . Personally, I don't really care. Doing high 12s while towing a 911 is in itself very impressive, even If they can't beat a 911 while towing one. Many companies are guilty of manipulation of the results of their products, so surprise surprise 🫢
Yeah this is one thing I don’t fault Musk on, it was a cool demonstration and what we call in the marketing business “puffing”
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (05-18-24), bitkahuna (05-18-24)
Old 05-18-24, 08:01 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Sure, on the one hand it's puffery. But on the other, it's still bull****. They didn't even do a 1/4 mile run. It was, quite simply, a lie. That said I mostly posted it as the engineering and math-driven analysis behind the debunk was interesting.
Old 05-18-24, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Puffery is bull**** by its very nature lol
Margate330 (05-18-24)
Old 05-18-24, 08:04 AM
swajames
Pole Position

As an aside, Tesla advisors are reaching out and my Cybertruck is ready for delivery. I'm on the fence at this point about whether to pick it up or not.
Old 05-18-24, 08:05 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Indeed .
Old 05-18-24, 08:18 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

It's "bearing false witness", no doubt about it.

Something that angers me.

I'd rather someone under promise and over deliver than bear false witness

>> The biggest cringe for me was expecting to see the welds on the trailer to tear apart on launch. So glad that didn't happen.

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck