EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-24, 04:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People who buy trucks to use their capability and not just for the concept of having a truck.

For instance if I were to buy a truck it would be total vanity, I have no need for any of its capability whatsoever. My business partner however uses his trucks capability all the time
The point I was making is that there are buyers that buy a truck just because they want to and others that buy one as a "work" truck. Both are "real" buyers.

My neighbor (and I'm 100 % positive that this is not anything unusual) has an F150. He has never towed anything with it in the 4 plus years he's had it. He carries a boat in it maybe a few times in the summer. By your definition he's not a "real" buyer of a truck . He would disagree.

I don't care about the Cybertruck, but I don't think Tesla will have any problem selling every single one they build - warts and all (and it's not a trivial investment that Tesla made to build them - they're in this for the long haul obviously).

Last edited by Hameed; 05-20-24 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-20-24, 05:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
1. Towing - never is a strong word... does not need to tow for long distances is a thing.
2. Never needs to carry anything in bed - why would you not carry things in Cybertruck bed? For most people, Cybertruck bed will be very useful with factory electric tonneau cover. It is more useful bad than most pickups.
3. As to the never takes it anywhere, Cybertruck is way more capable than your average pickup truck for going anywhere. It has insane off road skills from factory.
4. Does not need it for practical purpose - it is a very practical truck. Just not for long haul towing.

Literally as long as price is fine, Cybertruck is great truck, you just cant tow with it for more than 100 miles.

Also it is not a work truck. So you if you are dropping pallets in it every day, you will use some cheap pickup with no options, not your premium $100k vehicle.
Just like you will drive uber with your Camry and not use S class for uber.
Exactly what I was trying to say to Steve too. A Cybertruck buyer is just as "real" a truck buyer as any other truck buyer. Their "needs" are just different in some respects - don't need to tow over 100 miles as an example.
Old 05-20-24, 05:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Theyre selling incredibly well. It takes time for a new vehicle to be seen out running around on the roads. I see one a week pretty much now.

As we have discussed here at length the Cybertruck is not a competitor to full size trucks for full size truck buyers.
"Incredibly well" is a matter of perspective. They're moving about 1100 a month, just over a third of the 2900/month that the "unsuccessful" Lightning is selling.
Old 05-20-24, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
The point I was making is that there are buyers that buy a truck just because they want to and others that buy one as a "work" truck. Both are "real" buyers.

My neighbor (and I'm 100 % positive that this is not anything unusual) has an F150. He has never towed anything with it in the 4 plus years he's had it. He carries a boat in it maybe a few times in the summer. By your definition he's not a "real" buyer of a truck . He would disagree.

I don't care about the Cybertruck, but I don't think Tesla will have any problem selling every single one they build - warts and all (and it's not a trivial investment that Tesla made to build them - they're in this for the long haul obviously).
He tows a boat in it.

You're getting hung up on the word "real". Of course they are real, they bought the truck lol. They aren't imaginary. They don't however need any of the utility of having a truck, they bought it because its "cool".

Originally Posted by geko29
"Incredibly well" is a matter of perspective. They're moving about 1100 a month, just over a third of the 2900/month that the "unsuccessful" Lightning is selling.
Thats all of them they can deliver. They are clearly selling every Cybertruck they can make, they have long since been sold.

Originally Posted by spwolf
1. Towing - never is a strong word... does not need to tow for long distances is a thing.
2. Never needs to carry anything in bed - why would you not carry things in Cybertruck bed? For most people, Cybertruck bed will be very useful with factory electric tonneau cover. It is more useful bad than most pickups.
3. As to the never takes it anywhere, Cybertruck is way more capable than your average pickup truck for going anywhere. It has insane off road skills from factory.
4. Does not need it for practical purpose - it is a very practical truck. Just not for long haul towing.
Well, the people who got it from the factory now have "insane offroad skills" after the OTA update lol

Again, ask people who have 1/2 ton trucks if they have interest in trading for a Cybertruck...

Also it is not a work truck. So you if you are dropping pallets in it every day, you will use some cheap pickup with no options, not your premium $100k vehicle.
Just like you will drive uber with your Camry and not use S class for uber.
Right, its a vanity "truck". Not for work or to be used as a tool. Exactly what I said.

All the 1/2 ton truck owners I know would not hesitate to haul ANYTHING in the bed, including those with $80k+ high end trucks. With a bedliner you can do that without damaging the bed. You can't do that with a Cybertruck. All for looks.

As for Uber, kind of a strange concept for someone who has an S Class, but if I were to drive for Uber, I would use my S Class. I would make more, its a better car. My S Class is registered to my company and is a work vehicle, its used to drive clients around etc.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-20-24 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-20-24, 07:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

You're getting hung up on the word "real". Of course they are real, they bought the truck lol. They aren't imaginary. They don't however need any of the utility of having a truck, they bought it because its "cool".
you previously repeatedly stated that the cybertruck isn't 'real'. couple of examples:

... Of course Tesla doesn’t care about that because this isn’t a real truck, it’s just a vanity vehicle lol
The Ram, and any other real truck, is a much better truck than a Cybertruck.
the cybertruck has different design decisions and trade-offs. doesn't make it not a 'real' truck. just different. it can tow (limited distance), it can haul (big bed), it may not win at moab but it's definitely off road capable. yup, it's a real truck.
Old 05-20-24, 07:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Let's move on from this back and forth please. Take it to PM
Old 05-20-24, 10:57 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Old 05-20-24, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

another ridiculous comparison with contrived "off road" tests. felt like watching dumb and dumber. man what happened to tommy? haven't watched one of his videos in a while, looks like he gained about 40lbs.
Old 05-20-24, 11:32 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
another ridiculous comparison with contrived "off road" tests. felt like watching dumb and dumber. man what happened to tommy? haven't watched one of his videos in a while, looks like he gained about 40lbs.
Tommy's my least favorite of the lot. IDK about the weight, as a fat guy I can't judge. I do believe he got married, maybe that played into it?

This video was definitely a for fun only one, and they even state it. A modified 30 year old truck isn't a relevant comparison for decision making, as much as I love Case's truck.

The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 12:03 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Sighting in the wild last night.

The following 4 users liked this post by FrankReynoldsCPA:
AMIRZA786 (05-20-24), bitkahuna (05-20-24), Margate330 (05-20-24), signdetres (05-21-24)
Old 05-20-24, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i almost posted "it's growing on me" but then i came to my senses. 🤣
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (05-20-24), FrankReynoldsCPA (05-20-24)
Old 05-20-24, 01:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Sighting in the wild last night.

I'm so sorry but I have to say it

Spotted in the wild, At the Mall. Haha
Old 05-20-24, 03:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Hahaha yep. Safari adventure to the Albertson's. I should have taken my F-150 instead of the bimmer, just to be safe.

Old 05-20-24, 03:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i almost posted "it's growing on me" but then i came to my senses. 🤣
I'm not sure it'll ever grow on me, but I can appreciate the ***** to make it happen even if's not my taste at all.
Old 05-20-24, 04:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Recent comparo with Motor Trend. I would have liked to see the F-150 Lightning in the comparison. Not a ringing endorsement for the CT, but it is what it is.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...n-test-review/

Tesla Cybertruck: What Is Going on Here?

The Tesla was easily the most intimidating because of its steer-by-wire system. For those unfamiliar, the Cybertruck’s rectangular “wheel” rotates just 0.9 turns lock to lock, with the actual steering response (from all four wheels) varying with driving conditions. Around town, we found the steering worked intuitively in all but low-speed parking lot turns, where the quickening of the ratio plus the lack of visibility to the sides meant we struggled to avoid clipping corners. Out on Kanan’s fast curves, the Cybertruck felt competent and confident, but our concern was how the steering would work on Decker Canyon’s sharp twisties. Given that it was released by the same company who gave us the misleadingly named and fault-prone (though improving) Full Self-Driving, we had good reason for concern.

Turns out steering wasn’t the Cybertruck’s problem, or at least not its biggest one. Sure, the steering felt a little funky, but it was (usually) predictable enough for fast driving—fast being the operative word, because the Tesla is the quickest truck here. Whether or not Beast mode is engaged, it has the same point-and-squirt power as the Rivian. Ramp up the speed, though, and the Beast falls apart. The grip disappears as if someone threw a switch. The steering loses its predictability in tight corners. The regenerative braking is good, but the friction brakes are terrible, with a long-travel pedal that feels like it’ll never grab the discs. (We did discover a useful hack for a tight turn: Turn the steering yoke hard to the stop and let the understeering front tires scrub off speed while the rears point the truck in the right direction.)

While we made excellent progress in the Cyberbeast, achieving a pace we’d never expect from a pickup truck, we still felt like we could never get into a rhythm. The Cybertruck is a lot like the head of the company that makes it: One can never be entirely sure what it will do next.

Tesla Cybertruck Beast: Is It Just a Novelty?

After much back and forth, we put the Tesla Cybertruck in third place. Its polarizing styling makes it seem like a one-trick pony, which is a shame, because it really isn’t; the technology here has some great potential, particularly the steer-by-wire system, which is quite artfully done but needs further development. It’s the quickest truck here by far despite being down on power compared to the others (and on motor count compared to the Rivian), and it has the biggest bed with the highest payload. Compared to other Tesla models, its interior feels more like sci-fi whimsy and less like cost-cutting minimalism. The Cybertruck really does feel like a pickup from the future.

Still, it struggles to hide its shortcomings. The Tesla’s range is the shortest here, and its unimpressive turning circle means it doesn’t put its four-wheel steering to good use the way the Hummer does. The driving experience never really gels like it does in the Rivian. We know Tesla’s Autopilot doesn’t work as well as GM’s Super Cruise (and don’t get us started on so-called FSD), but we couldn’t even try it on the Cybertruck because Tesla hasn’t finished writing the software. And just a few days with the Tesla showed us that stainless-steel body is going to be an absolute nightmare to live with; you can’t use hot water to clean it, fingerprints multiply like lecherous rabbits, and you must immediately clean off any bugs on the body panels to avoid damaging the finish. Sure, the Tesla is arguably the most novel truck here, but once the novelty wears off, what do you have? Tesla fanatics will no doubt treasure the Beast, but it feels to us like the Christmas present we’ll tire of most quickly.

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck