EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-24 | 02:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i skimmed it just now... it would be helpful if you give some text as to what a video is about when posting.

as for the video... typical TFL nonsense. dragging a skid steer / massive trailer for a 10,500 load up a mountain is something almost no one will do.
Ive towed 12 loads almost that heavy up a long sustained grade this year so that's normal usage. Even a slight elevation change would kill range quickly on an EV truck and I don't have time for that on a 3 hour each way trip through areas in the Midwest that people haven't even seen a Tesla
Old 08-04-24 | 03:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Ive towed 12 loads almost that heavy up a long sustained grade this year so that's normal usage. Even a slight elevation change would kill range quickly on an EV truck and I don't have time for that on a 3 hour each way trip through areas in the Midwest that people haven't even seen a Tesla
You should never buy an EV truck if you tow long distances regularly, that's always been the message here. Unless you buy the New Chevy Silverado EV, it has same tow capacity/range as the gas equivalent, except more power and torque. The downside is it's $90k

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-04-24 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-04-24 | 03:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You should never buy an EV truck if you tow long distances regularly, that's always been the message here. Unless you buy the New Chevy Silverado EV, it has same tow capacity/range as the gas equivalent, except more power and torque. The downside is it's $90k

https://youtu.be/swZtky7znJE?si=fqr_FEXJOJI9Q2RS
Still totally inferior to a 1999 Chevy since it extends your time spent massively. Trucks are tools to make money
Old 08-04-24 | 03:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Still totally inferior to a 1999 Chevy since it extends your time spent massively. Trucks are tools to make money
At this point I agree that for things like towing, you are better off getting a traditional truck, but how many people are they like you who regularly tow? Most of the people I know who have trucks, save a few, never use them to tow, much less use the bed for anything but a few items. Also, your area lacks proper charging infrastructure, so it's understandable your feelings on the matter. But as battery tech and charging (and charging infrastructure) keeps getting better, I believe people are going opt for the more powerful electric trucks that get 80 to 90 MPG with 600 to 800 HP motors. I can tell you personally, we use our Model Y for 99 percent of our travel, it's pretty much like driving a gas car. When I drive to SoCal which is over 300 miles (my brothers house is 380 miles), I probably spend a total of 25 minutes charging, which for me is worth the trade-off of a better driving experience and half the cost of gas
Old 08-04-24 | 05:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

fine, then don't get an ev truck. it's obviously not for you. but to keep ragging on it because it doesn't fit your uses gets old. and that is NOT 'normal usage' for a midsize truck.

The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (08-04-24)
Old 08-05-24 | 06:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

At this point I agree that for things like towing, you are better off getting a traditional truck, but how many people are they like you who regularly tow? Most of the people I know who have trucks, save a few, never use them to tow, much less use the bed for anything but a few items. Also, your area lacks proper charging infrastructure, so it's understandable your feelings on the matter. But as battery tech and charging (and charging infrastructure) keeps getting better, I believe people are going opt for the more powerful electric trucks that get 80 to 90 MPG with 600 to 800 HP motors. I can tell you personally, we use our Model Y for 99 percent of our travel, it's pretty much like driving a gas car. When I drive to SoCal which is over 300 miles (my brothers house is 380 miles), I probably spend a total of 25 minutes charging, which for me is worth the trade-off of a better driving experience and half the cost of gas
Until they start installing more pull-through chargers towing with an EV will still be a pain. You either block the entire aisle or you have to unhitch and rehitch every stop
AMIRZA786 (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24 | 07:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Until they start installing more pull-through chargers towing with an EV will still be a pain. You either block the entire aisle or you have to unhitch and rehitch every stop
Absolutely, which is why if you do pull a trailer long distances or haul other equipment, stick to a traditional truck. Right now EV truck ownership is more virtue signaling. Just kidding @Allen K 🤣
Old 08-05-24 | 12:04 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
fine, then don't get an ev truck. it's obviously not for you. but to keep ragging on it because it doesn't fit your uses gets old. and that is NOT 'normal usage' for a midsize truck.
2500lbs payload capacity and 11,000lbs towing capacity, far from a mid size truck.
Old 08-05-24 | 01:05 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Think about the number of trucks you see every day. And then think about how many of those are towing. And then think about how many of those are midway through a long journey. The reality is the answers to those questions are hundreds, very few, and fewer still.

Remember that the truck manufacturers know their customer base and their aggregate use cases better than any of us individually. Our individual anecdotal experience is no substitute for actual data. And they have that data. It tells them that the towing capacity and range of any current EV truck already exceeds the requirements of most customers most of the time. If anyone’s individual use case doesn’t, then buy something else or buy something in addition. In my case I have other vehicles that have excellent towing capabilities. I’ve never needed to use them for towing.

The EV towing thing is, mostly, more of the general anti-EV noise and FUD we’ve all seen ad nauseum.
The following 4 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (08-05-24), bitkahuna (08-06-24), bowser (08-05-24), Hameed (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24 | 01:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Think about the number of trucks you see every day. And then think about how many of those are towing. And then think about how many of those are midway through a long journey. The reality is the answers to those questions are hundreds, very few, and fewer still.

Remember that the truck manufacturers know their customer base and their aggregate use cases better than any of us individually. Our individual anecdotal experience is no substitute for actual data. And they have that data. It tells them that the towing capacity and range of any current EV truck already exceeds the requirements of most customers most of the time. If anyone’s individual use case doesn’t, then buy something else or buy something in addition. In my case I have other vehicles that have excellent towing capabilities. I’ve never needed to use them for towing.

The EV towing thing is, mostly, more of the general anti-EV noise and FUD we’ve all seen ad nauseum.
Spot on 👍 👍👍
Old 08-05-24 | 01:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So what happens when you give a Cyber Truck to a lifelong truck guy who lives in Rural Maine? Let's find out. Just a note, some ignorance when it comes to EV's, but fun to watch!

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-05-24 at 01:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (08-09-24), Hameed (08-05-24)
Old 08-05-24 | 07:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I had to watch the above video one more time just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I would have never thought Tucker Carlson of all people would do a positive segment on an EV, especially the Cyber Truck. Although this particular truck is way too expensive for this gentleman's needs, he loved it and raved how it did most things better than his current truck... we're talking about normal truck things, not some YouTubers dropping it from high distances and breaking the frame. I've always believed that once people from all walks of life start getting their hands on them, they sell themselves, and I stand by that 100 percent.

BTW, when us Californians shoot at something, it's usually followed by us running away in the other direction before the cops show up 🤣
Old 08-06-24 | 06:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I would have never thought Tucker Carlson of all people would do a positive segment on an EV, especially the Cyber Truck.
Maybe you've been living under a rock lately?
Old 08-06-24 | 07:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
Maybe you've been living under a rock lately?
​​​​​​ Maybe that's why my back is constantly hurting? I don't know I give up, why would Tucker Carlson do a positive segment on EV'S? It seems out of character

EDIT

Nevermind, let's not dwell there 🤣

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-06-24 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-06-24 | 08:36 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

​​​​​​ Maybe that's why my back is constantly hurting? I don't know I give up, why would Tucker Carlson do a positive segment on EV'S? It seems out of character

EDIT

Nevermind, let's not dwell there 🤣
Yes, Google is your friend when it comes to things like this. Around here, anyways.
AMIRZA786 (08-06-24)

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck