EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-24 | 01:55 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

I sat in one at my local showroom on Friday with my son. He was enamored with it (he has been since day 1). I thought the inside was nice in a "Tesla-nice" kind of way. If you like the S and the X, you'll like aspects of the CT (seats, etc). I loved how the entire center floorboard area between driver and passenger was open. Ambient lighting looked nice, visibility out the front and sides looks incredible thanks to the gigantic windshield. Things like the cup holders have a more futuristic and rugged shape and design to them - the whole truck design inside and out feels very cohesive and consistent. So if you like the outside, you'll probably like the inside (and vice-versa).

I have never owned a pickup, and I don't like the attention the CT draws, so this has never been for me... but I do like it. And I like it more after sitting in the inside.
Old 09-16-24 | 02:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I sat in one at my local showroom on Friday with my son. He was enamored with it (he has been since day 1). I thought the inside was nice in a "Tesla-nice" kind of way. If you like the S and the X, you'll like aspects of the CT (seats, etc). I loved how the entire center floorboard area between driver and passenger was open. Ambient lighting looked nice, visibility out the front and sides looks incredible thanks to the gigantic windshield. Things like the cup holders have a more futuristic and rugged shape and design to them - the whole truck design inside and out feels very cohesive and consistent. So if you like the outside, you'll probably like the inside (and vice-versa).

I have never owned a pickup, and I don't like the attention the CT draws, so this has never been for me... but I do like it. And I like it more after sitting in the inside.
I sat in one as well, and they are roomy, comfortable and spacious. The inside I like, it's the exterior I don't
Old 09-16-24 | 02:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I sat in one as well, and they are roomy, comfortable and spacious. The inside I like, it's the exterior I don't
I like it from certain angles. I don't like the side view that much, and the visibility is baaaaaad.
Old 09-16-24 | 03:03 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by AJT123
I like it from certain angles. I don't like the side view that much, and the visibility is baaaaaad.
Not putting a digital rear view in the CT will never make sense to me. I get that you can get a view from the center screen, but it's not the ideal location
Old 09-16-24 | 03:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Not putting a digital rear view in the CT will never make sense to me. I get that you can get a view from the center screen, but it's not the ideal location
I'm betting they will fix that going down the line, the same way they gave back the round steering wheel option to Model S and Model X, and somewhat fixed the turn signal buttons and gave the horn back instead of it being a button
Old 09-16-24 | 05:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I like the inside too.
Old 09-17-24 | 05:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

... visibility out the front and sides looks incredible thanks to the gigantic windshield.
except for the A pillars that are bigger than roman columns.

So if you like the outside, you'll probably like the inside (and vice-versa).
well, i thought the inside was 'good' in a utilitarian and comfortable way. while i could get used to it i don't think i'll ever like just a center screen (no gauge screen behind wheel).

the outside is 'unique' and ok if you want a vehicle you don't give a crap about the surface look (discoloration, finger prints, etc). i love the very short front overhang and the side profile in general. on the road when i see one behind me it looks very narrow and tall. when viewed from behind, it looks incredibly plain (tiny lights too). the giant single wiper isn't a plus to me but they had few options i guess. what is impressive to me is the drive train and steering.

Old 09-17-24 | 08:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
except for the A pillars that are bigger than roman columns.

well, i thought the inside was 'good' in a utilitarian and comfortable way. while i could get used to it i don't think i'll ever like just a center screen (no gauge screen behind wheel).

the outside is 'unique' and ok if you want a vehicle you don't give a crap about the surface look (discoloration, finger prints, etc). i love the very short front overhang and the side profile in general. on the road when i see one behind me it looks very narrow and tall. when viewed from behind, it looks incredibly plain (tiny lights too). the giant single wiper isn't a plus to me but they had few options i guess. what is impressive to me is the drive train and steering.
That's what I thought for a long time, but I'm just speaking for myself. Now I prefer this method, even though I go back and forth between the Y, the Polestar and our Ioniq 5
Old 09-18-24 | 04:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's what I thought for a long time, but I'm just speaking for myself. Now I prefer this method, even though I go back and forth between the Y, the Polestar and our Ioniq 5
why do you prefer not having gauges in front of you?

clearly the design is done for two reasons - it's cheaper to make, and because elon musk views the driver as eventually irrelevant, lol.
Old 09-18-24 | 08:08 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

clearly the design is done for two reasons - it's cheaper to make, and because elon musk views the driver as eventually irrelevant, lol.
I'm going to be seriously looking at a Model S soon and comparing that to the Juniper Y Performance, but as of now and almost 2 years of owning the MYP, I personally don't see a need for the display behind the wheel. The MPH is displayed in the upper left hand corner of the Y screen, so I can quickly see it or just cut my eyes to it in the same sense of quickly looking behind the wheel for the same info. I'd see no benefit in having the animation of the car and what its cameras 'see' displayed behind the wheel as I never pay attention to that anyway. I never feel like things are jumbled on the single screen, so I don't find myself wishing I had certain things displayed behind the wheel. The map is plenty big, so having that take up the full screen would not have any benefit to me personally.

Maybe someone who has owned an S/X and then also owned a 3/Y would feel differently having used both for prolonged time, but I don't see the display behind the wheel as an advantage whatsoever. I'm interested in the S because I want a better ride quality (#1 priority) and because I like the styling better than the Y. The Y's benefits are ride height, price tag, and storage capacity.
Old 09-18-24 | 08:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I'm going to be seriously looking at a Model S soon and comparing that to the Juniper Y Performance, but as of now and almost 2 years of owning the MYP, I personally don't see a need for the display behind the wheel. The MPH is displayed in the upper left hand corner of the Y screen, so I can quickly see it or just cut my eyes to it in the same sense of quickly looking behind the wheel for the same info. I'd see no benefit in having the animation of the car and what its cameras 'see' displayed behind the wheel as I never pay attention to that anyway. I never feel like things are jumbled on the single screen, so I don't find myself wishing I had certain things displayed behind the wheel. The map is plenty big, so having that take up the full screen would not have any benefit to me personally.

Maybe someone who has owned an S/X and then also owned a 3/Y would feel differently having used both for prolonged time, but I don't see the display behind the wheel as an advantage whatsoever. I'm interested in the S because I want a better ride quality (#1 priority) and because I like the styling better than the Y. The Y's benefits are ride height, price tag, and storage capacity.
You want an S because it's not an appliance 😄, unlike the Y. Just sayin..
Old 09-18-24 | 08:44 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hameed
You want an S because it's not an appliance 😄, unlike the Y. Just sayin..
I don't know what you mean by that - can you elaborate?
Old 09-18-24 | 08:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I like the fact that I have a clear open view in front of me. Having gauges in front is cooler looking, but that's about it. The exception to me would be HUD, I wouldn't mind having a HUD
Old 09-18-24 | 10:10 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I don't know what you mean by that - can you elaborate?
Not trying to be rude 😄, A car might be described as an "appliance" when it is viewed as a practical, functional tool rather than something associated with emotional or driving pleasure. They pioritize practicality over personality or driving enjoyment.
Old 09-18-24 | 10:14 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Not trying to be rude 😄, A car might be described as an "appliance" when it is viewed as a practical, functional tool rather than something associated with emotional or driving pleasure. They pioritize practicality over personality or driving enjoyment.
Personally I feel my Y is fun to drive. The Polestar is funner, but putting my foot down when driving the Y still brings thrills

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck