EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 07:15 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
will you be buying shares in that company?
I will guess YES and holding long. Lol
Spoiler

Old 08-30-23, 07:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
It's the necessary presision in the microns that told me instantly he's talking out his keister. Imo

No car on earth worries about panel gaps or fitment in the microns unless it's a critical internal engine part.

I repair sensors that measure in the microns so while I don't have brake light experience, I do know some stuff. Haha
it was musk in his internal email (not that designer) that referred to microns:

“all parts for this vehicle, whether internal or from suppliers, need to be designed and built to sub 10 micron accuracy. That means all part dimensions need to be to the third decimal place in millimeters and tolerances need [to] be specified in single digit microns.”
Old 08-30-23, 07:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 383 Likes on 262 Posts

It's the necessary presision in the microns that told me instantly he's talking out his keister. Imo

No car on earth worries about panel gaps or fitment in the microns unless it's a critical internal engine part.

I repair sensors that measure in the microns so while I don't have brake light experience, I do know some stuff. Haha
Edit; deleted because I said same thing as Bit. Musk's internal email pointed out microns.
Old 08-30-23, 07:42 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Edit; deleted because I said same thing as Bit. Musk's internal email pointed out microns.
Ok so musk is talking microns.

When I read In article I try to determine the author's thesis or another way of putting it- what is the message and context.

Do we know that the email mentioning microns has anything to do with the thesis of the author's article or was it just used as "supporting evidence" out of context for the author's thesis.

These are things I look at.
A micron is insignificant for panel fitment as we all know and looks out of place in the context of the article. Imo

Just ideas.

Old 08-30-23, 08:14 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Ok so musk is talking microns.

When I read In article I try to determine the author's thesis or another way of putting it- what is the message and context.

Do we know that the email mentioning microns has anything to do with the thesis of the author's article or was it just used as "supporting evidence" out of context for the author's thesis.

These are things I look at.
A micron is insignificant for panel fitment as we all know and looks out of place in the context of the article. Imo

Just ideas.
TLDR article: Musk internal email stresses the importance of precision in manufacturing given the very hard angles of the CT along with the shiny metal. Leaves little/no room for error. After email is published, Adrian Clarke (and others in other articles) claims the entire truck design needs to be scrapped and have Tesla start from scratch.
Old 08-30-23, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

fyi, musk's email:

To: Everybody
Date: August 23, 2023 [time stamp removed]
Subj. Cybertruck Precision
Due to the nature of Cybertruck, which is made of bright metal with mostly straight edges, any dimensional variation shows up like a sore thumb.
All parts for this vehicle, whether internal or from suppliers, need to be designed and built to sub 10 micron accuracy.
That means all part dimensions need to be to the third decimal place in millimeters and tolerances need be specified in single digit microns.
If LEGO and soda cans, which are very low cost, can do this, so can we.
Precision predicates perfectionism.
Elon
the article obviously drew the conclusion that cybertruck build quality is nowhere near where it needs to be.

excerpt from cnbc's take:

A Tesla promoter and fan pressed Musk for more details on the social platform Wednesday, writing in a post, “Enough with the hype, let’s get down to business. Please announce the specs, pricing and new estimated delivery event date.”

The Tesla CEO, who also owns and runs X after a $44 billion buyout last year, replied: “When we are ready to do so, we will. While I think it is our best product ever, it is an extremely difficult product to build. We are in uncharted territory, because it is not like anything else.”

... What Musk said in the email implies that Tesla is still struggling with Cybertruck quality.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/24/elon...hallenges.html

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-30-23 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-30-23, 09:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

the article obviously drew the conclusion that cybertruck build quality is nowhere near where it needs to be.
Where does the build quality need to be on a pre-production vehicle?
Old 08-30-23, 10:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Where does the build quality need to be on a pre-production vehicle?
you're way smarter than needing to ask such a question. even according to deity elon it needs to be higher than the pre-production vehicle he experienced for paying customers.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-30-23 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-30-23, 12:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

you're way smarter than needing to ask such dumb questions. even according to deity elon it needs to be higher than the pre-production vehicle he experienced for paying customers.
I think you are getting a bit personal here. I know you guys disagree on stuff, but I'm sure there is a better way to disagree. Just my 2 cents
The following users liked this post:
Hameed (08-30-23)
Old 08-30-23, 05:11 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

I still have not seen a single piece of evidence showing that Musk actually said the pre production unit quality was not acceptable to him. If I'm wrong, someone please post it.

I understand people are connecting dots, but what if the pre production unit he drove was totally fine and he sent the email to remind the team of the importance of precision as they go into mass manufacturing?
Margate330 (08-30-23)
Old 08-30-23, 05:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Its impossible to get a SS refrigerator streak free with those things, let alone a cybertruck lol
Margate330 (08-30-23)
Old 08-30-23, 06:49 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Default Cybertruck detail spray!

I already bought my 2 cans before the price goes up.
Spoiler

Old 08-31-23, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

won't anyone else miss, you know, paint?
Old 08-31-23, 08:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

won't anyone else miss, you know, paint?
I don't think lack of paint if going to stop Cyber Truck owners. There's always wrap, which a lot of Tesla owners do here
Old 08-31-23, 08:57 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Is it actually a shiny metal or is it more matte silver/grey?

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck