EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-23 | 03:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If you want a traditional truck there are so many choices, literally all them besides Cybertruck. Rivian is still the same 3 box design we've seen since the beginning.

Goes without saying. I know you hate how Cybertruck looks, I think Rivian is kinda ugly. Not terrible but the front end is silly to me. BTW early Rivian's had horrendous build quality, off the charts bad.
I actually don't want a pickup truck, so the R1T would never be on my list either. If I ever bought a Rivian, it would only be the R1S or the upcoming R2S. Supposably the R2S is going to be in the $40K range

The build quality of my nephew's wife's R1T is really good. They just got it a couple of month back. She came from Lexus and just sold her RX, so she is very picky about quality

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-06-23 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-06-23 | 05:26 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Just my opinion, but it looks way better than the Cyber Truck. Hopefully I'm allowed to have an opinion
I actually like the looks of the Rivian. It's unique like the Ionic's, in a good way. You can't please everyone...
Old 11-06-23 | 05:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Cybertruck is going to please way more people than Rivian. I find the "Tesla will fail" phenomenon very interesting every single new Tesla model was predicted to flop in spectacular fashion. And here we are again.
Old 11-06-23 | 05:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Cybertruck is going to please way more people than Rivian. I find the "Tesla will fail" phenomenon very interesting every single new Tesla model was predicted to flop in spectacular fashion. And here we are again.
Lol no one is saying here that Tesla will fail. That ship sailed a long time ago

I just personally don't like the Cyber trucks looks. Can I at least have that?? For God's sake..... please? 🙏
Old 11-06-23 | 06:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Lol no one is saying here that Tesla will fail. That ship sailed a long time ago
So when a ship sails it doesn't exist anymore?
I just personally don't like the Cyber trucks looks. Can I at least have that?? For God's sake..... please? 🙏
I don't mind call it ugly all you want. It is ugly in a sense but also beautiful that's one of the reasons why I love it.

This thread is a microcosm of the narrative I've seen since Tesla began making cars, overt negativity. It's not going to stop every single flaw WILL be magnified. All of them. I'm simply saying I find it fascinating especially from people that have zero interest in ever buying the truck. Love to hate.

I'm much more interested in the tech that went into the Cybertruck, that includes the look because it looks like it does because of how it's made. The shape is pure function of material in this case. Some things that didn't make the cut like bulletproof glass turns out that is not possible for roll down windows and said glass is extremely heavy and expensive. Tesla tried to make it work and failed but at least they tried that's how the company rolls, willing to take risks. If Tesla was safe and conservative like every other company making trucks the EV industry as we know it would not exist. Tesla taking risks is constantly mocked until that risk pays off and they move on to the next Tesla failure.

Notice how little the discussion in this thread is about Cybertruck technology. Why is that? When SpaceX was crashing rockets they were mocked now stainless alloy designed by SpaceX is going into a truck.

Last edited by LeX2K; 11-06-23 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-06-23 | 06:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So when a ship sails it doesn't exist anymore?

I don't mind call it ugly all you want. It is ugly in a sense but also beautiful that's one of the reasons why I love it.

This thread is a microcosm of the narrative I've seen since Tesla began making cars, overt negativity. It's not going to stop every single flaw WILL be magnified. All of them. I'm simply saying I find it fascinating especially from people that have zero interest in ever buying the truck. Love to hate.

I'm much more interested in the tech that went into the Cybertruck, that includes the look because it looks like it does because of how it's made. The shape is pure function of material in this case. Some things that didn't make the cut like bulletproof glass turns out that is not possible for roll down windows and said glass is extremely heavy and expensive. Tesla tried to make it work and failed but at least they tried that's how the company rolls, willing to take risks. If Tesla was safe and conservative like every other company making trucks the EV industry as we know it would not exist. Tesla taking risks is constantly mocked until that risk pays off and they move on to the next Tesla failure.

Notice how little the discussion in this thread is about Cybertruck technology. Why is that? When SpaceX was crashing rockets they were mocked now stainless alloy designed by SpaceX is going into a truck.
That's just the nature of being the biggest. Flaws are going to be magnified. In the end, it doesn't really matter if I like how the Cyber truck looks, people are going to love it, or hate it. More people are going to love it than hate it, it's going to sell just fine. I'm not a truck person anyway, so even if I loved how it looks, Im not a potential customer. This is where I truly wear my investor hat and pray it does really well
Old 11-06-23 | 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Cybertruck is going to please way more people than Rivian.
​​​
It is ugly in a sense but also beautiful that's one of the reasons why I love it.
you love it because you're 'all in' on tesla and hope it makes you wealthier.

"it's so ugly it's beautiful"

you would love this too:

I'm much more interested in the tech that went into the Cybertruck, that includes the look because it looks like it does because of how it's made. The shape is pure function of material in this case.
years ago the shape was because it had an "exoskeleton" but that's b.s., it's just a unibody stainless steel truck with a horrendous design.

it will be YEARS before this thing can be bought with decent build quality.

that's how the company rolls, willing to take risks. If Tesla was safe and conservative like every other company making trucks the EV industry as we know it would not exist.
more absurdity. all car companies take risks. ford took the f150, the most successful vehicle in north america of ANY kind, and re-built it with aluminum. that was at least as bold as what tesla has done because they were risking a vast already successful vehicle juggernaut.

Notice how little the discussion in this thread is about Cybertruck technology.
like what, that's it's made like a delorean from 50 years ago?

Why is that? When SpaceX was crashing rockets they were mocked now stainless alloy designed by SpaceX is going into a truck.
you see what you want to see.... i was always in awe of spacex and have been to their launchpad, seen their facilities, etc.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (11-08-23)
Old 11-06-23 | 06:46 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

This is where I truly wear my investor hat and pray it does really well
Cybertruck is a slice of a much bigger innovation pie if people don't believe in what Tesla is doing with Cybertruck they don't believe in the company IMO. As for sales numbers there is at least 1 million pre-orders if only 25% make good Cybertruck will still be the best selling EV truck by far. And that assumes zero sales beyond pre-orders. The only limiting factor is how fast Tesla can scale, seems familiar somehow.
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
​​​

you love it because you're 'all in' on tesla and hope it makes you wealthier.

"it's so ugly it's beautiful"

you would love this too:

years ago the shape was because it had an "exoskeleton" but that's b.s., it's just a unibody stainless steel truck with a horrendous design.

it will be YEARS before this thing can be bought with decent build quality.

more absurdity. all car companies take risks. ford took the f150, the most successful vehicle in north america of ANY kind, and re-built it with aluminum. that was at least as bold as what tesla has done because they were risking a vast already successful vehicle juggernaut.

like what, that's it's made like a delorean from 50 years ago?

you see what you want to see.... i was always in awe of spacex and have been to their launchpad, seen their facilities, etc.
This is garbage I'm out. Having far better discussions on X and X DMs.
Old 11-06-23 | 07:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Cybertruck is a slice of a much bigger innovation pie if people don't believe in what Tesla is doing with Cybertruck they don't believe in the company IMO. As for sales numbers there is at least 1 million pre-orders if only 25% make good Cybertruck will still be the best selling EV truck by far. And that assumes zero sales beyond pre-orders. The only limiting factor is how fast Tesla can scale, seems familiar somehow.

This is garbage I'm out. Having far better discussions on X and X DMs.
You are interpreting people not liking how the Cyber truck looks as somehow betraying Tesla, or not being all the way in, making them seem almost not worthy. Tesla's success doesn't depend on everyone being "all in".

On X, you're only talking to people in an echo chamber parroting each other, all with similar mindsets. What's the fun in that? That's the exact reason I hate the Polestar forum, and other forums based on a brands
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (11-06-23), swajames (11-06-23)
Old 11-06-23 | 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You are interpreting people not liking how the Cyber truck looks as somehow betraying Tesla, or not being all the way in, making them seem almost not worthy. Tesla's success doesn't depend on everyone being "all in".

On X, you're only talking to people in an echo chamber parroting each other, all with similar mindsets. What's the fun in that? That's the exact reason I hate the Polestar forum, and other forums based on a brands
exactly. excellent post.

i am also a tesla shareholder, so of course i don't want cybertruck to fail, and i don't by any stretch think it will fail. i just think it will be a struggle to get a low defect product made at scale and it will ugly imo no matter what and i don't want to see the roads and parking lots clogged with them.

about looks, the s, x, 3, and y, are ALL relatively safe 'visual' designs evolved from the s. the x was wild because of the falcon doors and enormous roof of glass.
the cybertruck is definitely on another level of 'bold' and 'unique'.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-06-23 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-06-23 | 08:07 PM
swajames
Pole Position

I certainly don’t dislike cybertruck, I have a reservation I placed right at the launch, but this was Tesla’s head of design bringing his most talked about design to a cars and coffee where it was inevitably going to get a ton of attention, and you’d think they’d have fixed those build issues before doing that.
Old 11-06-23 | 08:09 PM
swajames
Pole Position

On X, you're only talking to people in an echo chamber parroting each other, all with similar mindsets.
Nailed it.
Old 11-06-23 | 09:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My previous post wasn't made to score points, get likes, or put someone in their place. I just want to make that clear. I have a lot of respect for Lex's views, and I've defended him publicly and privately (not that he needs me to).

My point if it wasn't clear is that if you sit in a room (substitute for forum) full of people who love red, there is only so many ways you can say how much you love red. With everyone loving red and no push back, you would never know that black also looks cool 😉.
​​​​​​
What I appreciate about EV Chat and it's parent car chat is the diversity of opinions. You get to hear about different brands, both strengths and weaknesses. We also have non EV owners weighing in, and I'm sure a lot of members lurking in the shadows. Getting pushback, and even addressing misconceptions is what makes things as interesting as sharing mutual experiences.

For this very reason most other forums just bore me. Everyone is singing the same praises, and it takes a troll or one complainer to create any excitement. Not that I'm advocating trolling, but I have a better understanding of their role in single issue forums 🤣
The following 3 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (11-07-23), Mike728 (11-07-23), swajames (11-06-23)
Old 11-07-23 | 05:43 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Here is one in flat black

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rWGkoDvBm3bjSg2A9
Old 11-07-23 | 05:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
That looks way better. It's definitely wrapped

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck