EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 10:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

steer by wire
structural battery pack with dry electrode cells
48 volt architecture
Large castings front and rear
Tesla Semi style drive units for massive torque
SpaceX designed stainless steel body panels (replaceable)

And a whole bunch of other things. Predictions of low sales are going to age exactly like they did for the Models S, X, 3 and Y. The experts said 3 would never sell, said Y won't sell it's a raised Model 3 no one wants that. Model S was widely predicted to be a flop (including by people here).

And that's not even getting into the "Tesla killers" that went on to be flops. Remember the Jaguar I-Pace? Jim Cramer effect is not just for Jim Cramer the more I see predictions of Cybertruck flopping the more I know it's going to be massive hit.
Originally Posted by swajames
You missed the point being made. This is the first time Tesla has competed in the truck segment.
So THIS time Tesla won't do well. Sure.
The following users liked this post:
jwong77 (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 11:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow shocked by all the hate for CyberTruck.

I personally really like it! Its going to have huge sales for Tesla in US and hopefully
​​​​​they can make one that is SUV with fixed cargo area.

I’m very surprised how cheap it is. Only $70k for full size truck that can go 0-60 in 4.1sec It looks like nothing on the road and really is different than anything else. I can’t wait to test drive one and would seriously consider getting it as a family hauler. I thought pricing would be well over Model X.
Old 12-01-23, 11:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Wow shocked by all the hate for CyberTruck.

I personally really like it! Its going to have huge sales for Tesla in US and hopefully
​​​​​they can make one that is SUV with fixed cargo area.

I’m very surprised how cheap it is. Only $70k for full size truck that can go 0-60 in 4.1sec It looks like nothing on the road and really is different than anything else. I can’t wait to test drive one and would seriously consider getting it as a family hauler. I thought pricing would be well over Model X.
I have no doubt it's going to sell well. A friend of mine who owns an F-150 Raptor and is hardcore truck enthusiast is drooling over it. To that me that's telling
Old 12-01-23, 11:06 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K

So THIS time Tesla won't do well. Sure.
And again you miss the point, which is the polar opposite... Another poster had provided the Model X as an example of a higher-priced Tesla vehicle not selling well despite being a Tesla. My point was this is the first time Tesla has had the opportunity to sell a high priced vehicle in a segment there's absolutely massive sales volume. CyberTruck has the dual advantage of being a truck and a Tesla, and I've consistently maintained it's going to do very well.

And unlike you, I actually reserved one four years ago.
Old 12-01-23, 11:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
I never even remotely liked him, but still bought a Tesla. It's my money and I spend it on what I consider to be the best for me at the time.
How do you not like a visionary that has changed the world and how things are done in several huge industries. It’s almost unbelievable what he has accomplished with Tesla and SpaceX but ppl still think that he is an idiot with daddy’s money.

Our society has reached a stage where politics have prevented folks from accepting facts as reality.

Just think about the fact that ALL of the top automakers are now relying on Tesla charging network. That alone is a monumental accomplishment for a company that has been around for such a short time.
Old 12-01-23, 11:12 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its pretty freaking awesome looking. I have no idea how it drives, but I saw one close up in my neighborhood (someone here must work at TSLA), and in person, it looks really awesome, for my tastes.
RNM GS3 (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 11:18 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I have no doubt it's going to sell well. A friend of mine who owns an F-150 Raptor and is hardcore truck enthusiast is drooling over it. To that me that's telling
Think about how many ppl grew up wanting a Delorean. This is much better.

Huge props to Tesla for delivering on the Concept design which usually never happens.

These will be all over NY. The only issue is how to know which one is yours since they will all look the same. They should do a graphics package like Porsche and charge $500.
AMIRZA786 (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 11:25 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Time to ratchet down the pettiness
swajames (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 11:27 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
Time to ratchet down the pettiness
Noted and agreed.

Last edited by swajames; 12-01-23 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-01-23, 11:28 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Again, they don't... The devil is in the detail as I said. Those numbers include vehicles being built, in transit, customer orders awaiting pickup, vehicles waiting recall parts and more. Ford pushes data from the factory that auto feeds dealer websites and those sites auto feed the likes of cars.com and autotrader where the misleading aggregated numbers come from. There aren't 9000 Lightnings that can't find buyers sat on lots gathering dust. Both my Lightning and my Bronco appeared on my dealer website (and cars.com etc) as available and for sale because Ford pushes the data out as they are being built. If you'd asked my dealer about them, they weren't available - but according to the dealer site and cars.com etc, they were. My dealer shows a fair few available but has none on the lot - for the reasons stated.
Thanks! Had no idea this was the case. Good to know because I think the lightning is a good product.
swajames (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 11:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Think about how many ppl grew up wanting a Delorean. This is much better.

Huge props to Tesla for delivering on the Concept design which usually never happens.

These will be all over NY. The only issue is how to know which one is yours since they will all look the same. They should do a graphics package like Porsche and charge $500.
I'm sure they will work that out. A lot of people have that issue with their 3 and Y's, which is why I bought mine in Black. But now I'm seeing more and more black.

The finish product looks really good, unlike some of the RC releases. You are correct about pricing, it's actually not bad. My friend paid near $130K for his Raptor, probably the average pricing of an F-150 is $80k, so the Cyber Truck is a bargain
Old 12-01-23, 11:34 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Thanks! Had no idea this was the case. Good to know because I think the lightning is a good product.
It's a problem of Ford's own making, that up-front data feed helps get the inventory out into the market but it doesn't help when it comes to things like this. And yes, I really like mine, I think it's the best truck I've ever owned (I've had other F150s and GM trucks too) but I am very much looking forward to driving the CyberTruck.
Old 12-01-23, 11:35 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
You're shocked that he's getting negative feedback on something that's more expensive and less capable than what he promised?
Ummmmm that's every Tesla that's ever come out, and you guys know it.

CT is absolutely getting hate bc of Elon... He told a whole bunch of people to go **** themselves yesterday.

I have never seen widespread negative coverage about a Tesla like this, and this is the coolest one!!!

About the Ford Lightning, I still remember Motor Trend saying F150 is so good because it will become the mainstream one and people will love it blah blah blah, we've seen how that's turned out.
Old 12-01-23, 11:41 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I normally enjoy Jason Cammisa's videos but this felt like paid advertising. Probably trying to avoid upsetting the Man Child and losing out on access to review cars.
Old 12-01-23, 11:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I normally enjoy Jason Cammisa's videos but this felt like paid advertising. Probably trying to avoid upsetting the Man Child and losing out on access to review cars.
He lovvvvves V8s. He used to gush and gush about them.... "Glass-smooth torque" I believe he said.

I feel like all the videos online are turning into paid stuff, not just him.

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck