EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-23, 11:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
He lovvvvves V8s. He used to gush and gush about them.... "Glass-smooth torque" I believe he said.

I feel like all the videos online are turning into paid stuff, not just him.
I can tell you, Tesla doesn't give out press cars like other automakers. The big complaint from reviewers is that they have to rent them from Turo or borrow them from owners. Tesla pays $0 for marketing. The joke is that X is their marketing dept
Old 12-01-23, 11:56 AM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

He lovvvvves V8s. He used to gush and gush about them.... "Glass-smooth torque" I believe he said.

I feel like all the videos online are turning into paid stuff, not just him.
if you like “glass-smooth torque” then an electric motor does that far better, with far more potency and smoothness than any v8 ever could. So what’s the problem?? Do we even stop to think about what’s being said???
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 11:57 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I normally enjoy Jason Cammisa's videos but this felt like paid advertising. Probably trying to avoid upsetting the Man Child and losing out on access to review cars.
I felt the same way too. Kinda sucks because I see Jason as a modern version of Clarkson, perhaps he'll grow into it.
Old 12-01-23, 12:02 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Ummmmm that's every Tesla that's ever come out, and you guys know it.

CT is absolutely getting hate bc of Elon... He told a whole bunch of people to go **** themselves yesterday.

I have never seen widespread negative coverage about a Tesla like this, and this is the coolest one!!!

About the Ford Lightning, I still remember Motor Trend saying F150 is so good because it will become the mainstream one and people will love it blah blah blah, we've seen how that's turned out.
The Lighting looks like a softened version of F150. Nothing about it looks unique or futuristic. They should have made it looks as tough as a Raptor at least.

With CyberTruck- ppl will know right away you got something new, its an EV and also Tesla.

Tesla Brand still has enormous cool factor.

I showed my 6yr old son the CT video today and he is like ye i knew about it already from Youtube. He definitely doesn’t know the Lighting.
Old 12-01-23, 12:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I can tell you, Tesla doesn't give out press cars like other automakers. The big complaint from reviewers is that they have to rent them from Turo or borrow them from owners. Tesla pays $0 for marketing. The joke is that X is their marketing dept
Auto makers such as Toyota have press cars, hand picked and massaged just for reviewers. If anything Tesla deserves criticism for not doing this.
Old 12-01-23, 12:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Auto makers such as Toyota have press cars, hand picked and massaged just for reviewers. If anything Tesla deserves criticism for not doing this.
They absolutely should have press cars. Savagegeese complained about them having to get the Model 3 they reviewed from one of their viewers
Old 12-01-23, 12:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Ok... that has nothing to do with what I said. But ok.

Originally Posted by Tdes395
if you like “glass-smooth torque” then an electric motor does that far better, with far more potency and smoothness than any v8 ever could. So what’s the problem?? Do we even stop to think about what’s being said???
Of course we do. I7 is slower than the ICE counterpart. So are many, many others it's turning out. The Mercedes EVs are nothing special performance wise. Yes, I'd rather have the incredibly powerful V8 in a 7 series.

About smoothness, you can balance a nickel standing up on a running Lexus UZ V8... not much difference there except for you hear sound when the engine is working.

Tesla is the only manufacturer that has it right because some are just blistering fast and most look cool, the sales speak for themselves.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The Lighting looks like a softened version of F150. Nothing about it looks unique or futuristic. They should have made it looks as tough as a Raptor at least.
It just cracks me up because Motor Trend might as well have been on acid. I'm paraphrasing but they said basically this will be the new very popular F150 and it will introduce many into EV world. How's that turning out? Can't even tow a boat across town and back, turns out Americans do favor practicality over plugging in with a 1500 pickup F150... that's a real shocker.
Old 12-01-23, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I think the CT will sell fine. The issue is will it have strong sales over a long period of time? Time will tell.

I dont think anybody who buys a traditional pickup is a buyer for one of these, and vice versa, so comparing it to traditional trucks I don't think makes any sense.
Old 12-01-23, 12:20 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

How do you not like a visionary that has changed the world and how things are done in several huge industries.....
Are you being serious? Am I not allowed to dislike someone for my own reasons. Maybe he ran over my dog and I haven't gotten over it.

You seem to worship the ground he walks on, yet you don't own a Tesla. Why is that?
Old 12-01-23, 12:25 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

I mean Tesla must have gave out a cybertruck to mkbhd and Hagerty for the videos they did...so stating what they did in the past doesn't matter. Fact is Tesla gave them both a cybertruck to test....could be paid or not...even if not paid, getting first dibs to test is a major benefit to both content creators.
Old 12-01-23, 12:30 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Are you being serious? Am I not allowed to dislike someone for my own reasons. Maybe he ran over my dog and I haven't gotten over it.

You seem to worship the ground he walks on, yet you don't own a Tesla. Why is that?
I don’t worship anyone especially Elon Musk.

But i’m a stable individual that can show respect for somebody’s accomplishments.

I have no desire to buy any Teslas or EVs.
I also have no desire to eat a Big Mac.

Respecting someone’s accomplishments doesn’t mean you have to buy their products. What i have issues with is people denouncing Elon Musk’s achievements because they don’t like his personality or a post he made on Twitter.

Imagine if ppl actually interacted with Einstein or Henry Ford, hell even Steve Jobs. To link someone’s likability to their genius/success doesn’t make any sense to me.
Old 12-01-23, 12:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
I mean Tesla must have gave out a cybertruck to mkbhd and Hagerty for the videos they did...so stating what they did in the past doesn't matter. Fact is Tesla gave them both a cybertruck to test....could be paid or not...even if not paid, getting first dibs to test is a major benefit to both content creators.
Tesla finally did some proper PR by making vehicles available. Tesla did no pay anything to anyone they've never done this as apposed to nearly every other auto maker that flies you to events, wines and dines you on their dime. Why do you think the auto press is so hostile to Tesla.
Old 12-01-23, 12:33 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Top Gear review. The Design & Engineering part is really interesting (from 8 min to 15 min). Engineering this is a whole new level of complexity- it is mind boggling.

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 12:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Cybertruck is probably the only exception of having vehicles available for reviewers. Even the Plaid, reviews have been reviewers using their own or borrowing from friends or subscribers. And 100 percent Tesla does not have a marketing dept
Old 12-01-23, 12:41 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

I don’t worship anyone especially Elon Musk.
But i’m a stable individual that can show respect for somebody’s accomplishments.
I never said I didn't respect what he's accomplished. I just said I dislike him as a person. Am I not entitled to my opinion in your world?

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck