EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-23, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
You really think you'll see utility companies, etc. driving these? Interstate construction?
He probably does, but absolutely they won’t lol
Old 12-02-23, 11:34 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

You think fleets are gonna buy this over plain-Jane white ICE work trucks? I doubt that.

This thing will be all over Los Angeles, and I mean ALL OVER. It's just a status symbol.
One of the down sides of them all being one color -Silver- is that THEY ARE ALL THE SAME COLOR. Lol

Needs flavor!

Yeah, I guess that's where a wrap comes in but they are expensive and not as durable as a proper paint job. IMO

Just a downside although many upsides, I guess.
Old 12-02-23, 11:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It’s common sense. Teslas are already very expensive to repair, come on you’re a smart guy.
I'm not the one making bold claims. Back up what you say or admit you're making it up. Screaming "common sense" is not data.
He probably does, but absolutely they won’t lol
Construction, police and military. And other applications. You'll be wrong, will you admit it when you are?

Already in the works

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-02-23 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-02-23, 11:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I'm not the one making bold claims. Back up what you say or admit you're making it up. Screaming "common sense" is not data.
Common sense is police using ICE vehicles, ask police across America what kind of cruisers they'd rather have. They still miss their (big, BOF, indestructible) Crown Vics for Pete's sake.

Construction, police and military. And other applications. You'll be wrong, will you admit it when you are?

Already in the works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmLNCI3FX28
I'm sorry but that's just ludicrous. These will be all over rich residential areas of the United States, and that's it. I'm sure it will do well, but this isn't a work truck or a police car.
Old 12-02-23, 11:52 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

I don't know ya'll.

Cybertruck looks pretty tough.
I can see them being used for public service.

Will look even meaner with police lights and push bumper on the front aka "Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do...". Lol
Old 12-02-23, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Please post the data that shows this won’t be more expensive to repair body damage on than a typical car then. If you have any knowledge or experience in body repair, all you have to do is look at it.

Already in the works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmLNCI3FX28
And in the one making bold claims?

Not happening. Just doesn’t make economic sense. Seen a Tesla semi lately? You won’t because they don’t make any economic sense.
Old 12-02-23, 11:54 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Yeah, I guess that's where a wrap comes in but they are expensive and not as durable as a proper paint job. IMO
Wrap is the same as PPF must more resilient than paint. Won't anywhere near as durable as the stainless though.
Please post the data that shows this won’t be more expensive to repair body damage on than a typical car then..
Burden is on you, I didn't make repair cost claims. I know from watching Tesla body work repairs the process is the same as any car except easier since there is no engine and fuel system in the way.

As for actual average cost that's not publicity available AFAIK that's why I'm not making sweeping statements.
Seen a Tesla semi lately? You won’t because they don’t make any economic sense.
Tesla Semi is capacity contained. Lifetime savings is in the 100's of thousands. You're wrong again.
https://www.cleanerwatt.com/articles...vs-diesel-semi

edit - here is lifetime savings since I know you won't read the article

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-02-23 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 11:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Military EVs (that are Cybertrucks)? That's delusional.
Old 12-02-23, 11:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Military EVs (that are Cybertrucks)? That's delusional.
Where are they going to charge them in Whateveristan?

Im all for EVs but we have to be real here.
Old 12-02-23, 12:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Common sense is police using ICE vehicles, ask police across America what kind of cruisers they'd rather have. They still miss their (big, BOF, indestructible) Crown Vics for Pete's sake.

I'm sorry but that's just ludicrous. These will be all over rich residential areas of the United States, and that's it. I'm sure it will do well, but this isn't a work truck or a police car.
I'm an extreme optimist, and yeah, this ain't gonna be in the hands of anyone but rich people, unless they build a $39k version, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Can't argue with economics.

In several cities in the Bay Area including the City of Fremont, they are extensively using Model Y's as police cruisers. The department and officers love them, a Model Y Performance will eat the lunch of Charger SRT, they don't need much maint, and are cheap to run. But, if I was in the California Highway Patrol, it wouldn't be a wise choice. I would stick to the Police Interceptor SUV's they are currently using
Old 12-02-23, 12:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

There is going to be so much crow served.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm an extreme optimist, and yeah, this ain't gonna be in the hands of anyone but rich people, unless they build a $39k version, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Can't argue with economics.
F-150 average price is $50,000 before dealer shenanigans. Given Tesla's ability to drive down cost and price you don't think they can get there with the mainstream trim? Interesting.

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-02-23 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 12:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Where are they going to charge them in Whateveristan?

Im all for EVs but we have to be real here.
Tanks and stuff on batteries, yeah right. Guarantee the Armed Forces are laughing off EVs at least for their theoretical use.

Jane Doe charges at home every night and never uses all the range, great.

Using EVs let alone a CyberTruck for military and police duty, ain't gonna happen.

Old 12-02-23, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lets put it this way....why would police departments, contractors, etc buy a CyberTruck?

As someone who owns a business that operates vehicles I can tell you its all about money. Its not about whats cool, its about what will operate with the function we need at the lowest cost. An EV little delivery vehicle etc makes sense if you have someplace to park and charge it, I don't. I have two Ford Transit Connects and they sit in an office garage. Nowhere to charge them.

Why would a police department buy $80,000 CyberTrucks? How would it benefit them? They're expesnive, require sitting for 8+ hours to charge, expensive to repair and insure, they are huge and difficult to manuever...why?
Old 12-02-23, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

F-150 average price is $50,000 before dealer shenanigans. Given Tesla's ability to drive down cost and price you don't think they can get there with the mainstream trim? Interesting.
Well they said it was going to be $40,000 and couldn't get there....
Old 12-02-23, 12:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Cities buy them in bulk at fleet prices. They don't have to deal with dealership shenanigans. City of Los Angeles for example buys 50K to 100K vehicles in one sweep. I doubt at this point Tesla can match that. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but they barely are able to produce and deliver the 500k cars per quarter worldwide.

You know I'm optimistic about Tesla, but I'm also realistic

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck