EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-23 | 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Tanks and stuff on batteries, yeah right. Guarantee the Armed Forces are laughing off EVs at least for their theoretical use.

Jane Doe charges at home every night and never uses all the range, great.

Using EVs let alone a CyberTruck for military and police duty, ain't gonna happen.
Might there come a day when charges last so long that its feasible? Perhaps, but nowhere close to today. Again we know that police departments don't use Teslas now, if they don't replace Chargers with Model Ss why would they buy CyberTrucks?

Police departments do have token Model 3s and other EVs for doughnut runs and all, but not for real duty
Old 12-02-23 | 12:14 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Please post the data that shows this won’t be more expensive to repair body damage on than a typical car then. If you have any knowledge or experience in body repair, all you have to do is look at it.

And in the one making bold claims?

Not happening. Just doesn’t make economic sense. Seen a Tesla semi lately? You won’t because they don’t make any economic sense.
I envy your patience lol

Completely forgot about the Semi. I guess we will eat crow when Elon predicted 50,000 units of semis by end of 2024 too. Doubt they have even built 100 yet.
Old 12-02-23 | 12:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Might there come a day when charges last so long that its feasible? Perhaps, but nowhere close to today. Again we know that police departments don't use Teslas now, if they don't replace Chargers with Model Ss why would they buy CyberTrucks?

Police departments do have token Model 3s and other EVs for doughnut runs and all, but not for real duty
Police for example have soooo much crap hooked up to their cars light bars, surveillance, weapons, gear, etc..... they have heavvvvy duty alternators and batteries to ensure it all works, etc. No feasible way for EV to replace that anytime soon, just the accessories would drain the batteries realllllly quick. There's good reason police cars idle so much.
Old 12-02-23 | 12:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Police for example have soooo much crap hooked up to their cars light bars, surveillance, weapons, gear, etc..... they have heavvvvy duty alternators and batteries to ensure it all works, etc. No feasible way for EV to replace that anytime soon, just the accessories would drain the batteries realllllly quick.
Cybertruck has an 11,000 watt power outlet. Massive super heavy duty alternator that costs a fortune will maybe put out 4,000 watts.
Old 12-02-23 | 12:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Police for example have soooo much crap hooked up to their cars light bars, surveillance, weapons, gear, etc..... they have heavvvvy duty alternators and batteries to ensure it all works, etc. No feasible way for EV to replace that anytime soon, just the accessories would drain the batteries realllllly quick. There's good reason police cars idle so much.
Here is another police department going Tesla:

California Police Department Dumping Its Gas Cruisers for Modded Teslas

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...d-performance/

Fremont PD:

https://www.fremontpolice.gov/commun...atrol-vehicles
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (12-02-23)
Old 12-02-23 | 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blaze876
I envy your patience lol

Completely forgot about the Semi. I guess we will eat crow when Elon predicted 50,000 units of semis by end of 2024 too. Doubt they have even built 100 yet.
If I didn't get a kick out if the absurdity of it I wouldn't have the patience lol

Exactly...Tesla semi makes no sense, only reason a company would buy them is to forward a green image or to receive some sort of tax benefit that made them economically viable.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Cybertruck has an 11,000 watt power outlet. Massive super heavy duty alternator that costs a fortune will maybe put out 4,000 watts.
But it also needs to be able to operate 24 hours at a time and be able to participate in a 70 mile highway chase at 140MPH at the drop of a hat. Its just not feasible to run an EV for that use at the current time, certainly one that costs twice what the typical police cruiser costs. It also needs to be able to be used to block people and pit maneuver people etc without concern of massive repair cost.
Blaze876 (12-02-23)
Old 12-02-23 | 12:25 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

Fremont PD:

There are two of them lol. That's also the Bay Area, of course they're gonna do this. Nothing but a California virtue signal.

Old 12-02-23 | 12:26 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Fremont PD:

Fremont, as in where the factory is?

Did it really take this long?
AMIRZA786 (12-02-23)
Old 12-02-23 | 12:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Fremont PD:

The South Pasedena police department is a very small force in a small location and that makes sense for them...they have very lightly used cruisers that sit a lot more than they are out running around. As per the article the whole department only has 13 cruisers

You're not going to find a state police agency or other large force replacing ICE police cruisers with Teslas. My local PD has some Teslas, but they patrol in Chargers, Explorers and Tahoes.
Old 12-02-23 | 12:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

The South Pasedena police department is a very small force in a small location and that makes sense for them...they have very lightly used cruisers that sit a lot more than they are out running around. I bet they have 15 cars.

You're not going to find a state police agency or other large force replacing ICE police cruisers with Teslas. My local PD has some Teslas, but they patrol in Chargers, Explorers and Tahoes.
I totally agree, see my previous comments. It's works really well for smaller PD's. Fremont PD though, is not a small city. But they do use a combination of Tesla, Hybrid and ICE vehicles
Old 12-02-23 | 12:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
Fremont, as in where the factory is?

Did it really take this long?
LoL actually they have been using Tesla's for a few years now. They started using them when the Model Y came out
Old 12-02-23 | 12:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

There are two of them lol. That's also the Bay Area, of course they're gonna do this. Nothing but a California virtue signal.
No, they have a whole fleet of them LoL. Just because things don't fit in your worldview you have to come up with some excuse like calling it virtue signalling. I'm sure it makes you feel really good when people put labels on people who like to drive trucks. Same thing you are doing. With all due respect

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-02-23 at 12:51 PM.
LeX2K (12-02-23)
Old 12-02-23 | 12:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

I saw the review posted a few pages back, but didnt see the podcast. Camissa goes into greater depth on his time spent with the Cybertruck. An engineers/tech geeks wet dream it seems. Definitely worth the watch if you have the almost 90 minutes of time to do so.

The following 2 users liked this post by GFerg:
AMIRZA786 (12-02-23), LeX2K (12-02-23)
Old 12-02-23 | 12:57 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Originally Posted by GFerg
I saw the review posted a few pages back, but didnt see the podcast. Camissa goes into greater depth on his time spent with the Cybertruck. An engineers/tech geeks wet dream it seems. Definitely worth the watch if you have the almost 90 minutes of time to do so.

https://youtu.be/NjIPEtegPt4?si=EG6YAbWfKv0JXWPh
Although he seems to love the cybertruck he said he would still prefer a Rivian R1T.
Old 12-02-23 | 12:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

So much negativity in this thread reminds me of this guy.

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck