EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-23, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Just because people have criticisms doesn't mean they are negative. Like I said I think the CT is really cool, but its a fashion accessory not a practical vehicle. Pretending that its going to be used by contractors and the military and police departments etc is just silly, its going to be driven around suburbs by rich people.
Old 12-02-23, 01:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

I think personally there is no problem or issue with negativity. People are going to be skeptical. The Cyber Truck will either prove to be the greatest truck ever invented, or it will be like the Model S and X, a toy of the wealthy. Some people will be proved right and some wrong. Only time will tell. I really wouldn't let negativity bother me
Old 12-02-23, 01:09 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
No, they have a whole fleet of them LoL. Just because things don't fit in your worldview you have to come up with some excuse like calling it virtue signalling. I'm sure it makes you feel really good when people put labels on people who like to drive trucks. Same thing you are doing. With all due respect
No, actually I could not care less if people want to label trucks.

How is me saying EVs won't work for police duty labeling people?

Does CHP use EVs?

Last edited by AJT123; 12-02-23 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-02-23, 01:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
No, actually I could not care less if people want to label trucks.

How is me saying EVs won't work for police duty labeling people?

Does CHP use EVs?
No it's your automatic responses to PD's using the Model Y and labeling it as virtue signaling. It seems to be the favorite word of the day. I guess people like Bit who decided to get an EV are virtue signalling, eh?
Old 12-02-23, 01:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

No it's your automatic responses to PD's using the Model Y and labeling it as virtue signaling. It seems to be the favorite word of the day
It is! I'm sorry man. If they really worked CHP would be using them.
Old 12-02-23, 01:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

In the podcast he does provide a case as to why a cybertruck may be attractive for contractors and it makes sense to me, though he did say a majority will be bought by the suburban family which I don't find to be all that different from your normal truck buyer today anyway. We will just have to wait and see how the public reacts to it and if they do buy it for work use or not.
Old 12-02-23, 01:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,935 Likes on 2,471 Posts

EVs are faster don't roll over way better doing pit maneuvers. Cybertruck amps that up even more with a nearly indestructible body and bullet resistant how that is not good for police vehicles is beyond me. Gotta have that gas burner or it's not legit.

BTW police vehicle drives 75-120 miles/day. The downtime for maintenance and repair is significant I know someone that repairs city vehicles.
Old 12-02-23, 01:16 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Although he seems to love the cybertruck he said he would still prefer a Rivian R1T.
From a design perspective. But he also said that Tesla has taken another gigantic leap forward compared to every other legacy automaker to the point that they should just stop trying.
Old 12-02-23, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No it's your automatic responses to PD's using the Model Y and labeling it as virtue signaling. It seems to be the favorite word of the day. I guess people like Bit who decided to get an EV are virtue signalling, eh?
There is an element of truth in this. The appearance of a green department and the resonance that has with their local constituency and the nationwide notoriety that brings them money is a reason why this PD bought Teslas. For one, I'm sure Tesla or this company that modified them for this PD did so for a "special cost". Also, what sense does it make for the PD to replace all their cruisers? Were all 13 of them so wrong out they were due for replacement?

This PD is in a constituency where Tesla is indeed a virtue signal.

Theres a reason why you only see departments in affluent liberal towns doing this...if it actually was the smartest financial and use solution for a PD you would see small departments in lower SES conservative constituencies also...and you don't. Why? Because the virtue signal doesnt work.

Bit is not a police department that operates on public funds.
Old 12-02-23, 01:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
EVs are faster don't roll over way better doing pit maneuvers. Cybertruck amps that up even more with a nearly indestructible body and bullet resistant how that is not good for police vehicles is beyond me. Gotta have that gas burner or it's not legit.
We've given you reasons. I'd trust a Tahoe with a bulletproof door for cops to use as cover before a Cybertruck, sorry.

Nobody is saying these aren't gonna sell. But not the way you think they will.
Old 12-02-23, 01:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There is an element of truth in this. The appearance of a green department and the resonance that has with their local constituency and the nationwide notoriety that brings them money is a reason why this PD bought Teslas. For one, I'm sure Tesla or this company that modified them for this PD did so for a "special cost". Also, what sense does it make for the PD to replace all their cruisers? Were all 13 of them so wrong out they were due for replacement?

This PD is in a constituency where Tesla is indeed a virtue signal.

Theres a reason why you only see departments in affluent liberal towns doing this...if it actually was the smartest financial and use solution for a PD you would see small departments in lower SES conservative constituencies also...and you don't. Why? Because the virtue signal doesnt work.

Bit is not a police department that operates on public funds.
You're actually arguing that governments do things that are smart.
Originally Posted by AJT123
We've given you reasons. I'd trust a Tahoe with a bulletproof door for cops to use as cover before a Cybertruck, sorry.

Nobody is saying these aren't gonna sell. But not the way you think they will.
Only specialized military vehicles have armor. Police fleets do not.
Old 12-02-23, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

BTW police vehicle drives 75-120 miles/day. The downtime for maintenance and repair is significant I know someone that repairs city vehicles.
Like you demanded of me, prove all of this. Bold claims, and yada yada.

Police vehicles may drive 75-120 miles a day but they need to be ready for much more demanding use at a moments notice...plus there is cost to consider. As a taxpayer I don't want the PDs I fund with my tax dollars buying $80,000 cybertrucks to signal that they are hip and green...I want them to buy what makes sense and what makes sense is a $40,000 Charger.
Old 12-02-23, 01:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Only specialized military vehicles have armor. Police fleets do not.
Well I've seen them myself in cruisers here. The whole car isn't armored, but a bulletproof plate or whatever is placed in the door in many cases for police to use them for cover.
Old 12-02-23, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Depends on your definition of smart. If "smart" to you means pandering to the vain image driven desires of a rich and liberal local populace, maybe. Smart to me means buying what is the most effective and cost effective tools and only buying them when they are necessary, so to me its extremely stupid.

I love seeing an old Crown Vic on patrol because they are stretching my tax dollars and using that tool until they can't use it any more.
Old 12-02-23, 01:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Like you demanded of me, prove all of this. Bold claims, and yada yada.
Have you watched any of the vids posted here? Obviously not. Roll over test has been shown, safety, bullet resistance. It's all right in front of your face you refuse to look.
Police vehicles may drive 75-120 miles a day but they need to be ready for much more demanding use at a moments notice...
What are you talking about?
plus there is cost to consider. As a taxpayer I don't want the PDs I fund with my tax dollars buying $80,000 cybertrucks to signal that they are hip and green...I want them to buy what makes sense and what makes sense is a $40,000 Charger.
Lifetime cost. Brake service on a police vehicle is ridiculous I've seen with my own eyes the wear and tear. They beat on those cars big time. EV doesn't need brake service for 150,000 miles or more. No more fluid changes. It's way cheaper to run as proven by the Tesla Semi as I showed (you claimed the opposite).

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck