EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 08:57 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Duh, I think I know what you're saying now.

So you're maybe thinking some people who wouldn't normally be in the market for a truck maybe buy one of these for many of the reason listed in this thread?

Or did I mess that up again... haha
yep, that was indeed the point.
Old 12-04-23, 04:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Ford touted the whole "The Lightning can power construction and equipment" bit. Where are all the Lightnings in work applications? Bottom line is contractors really don't need a vehicle to do that, power is worked out on a jobsite already.
plain f150s are half the price of lightnings so contractors aren't interested. that's the ev problem. hopefully over time tesla can bring the price down of cybertruck.

meanwhile, it seems ford's plan is to ramp hybrid f150s which isn't a bad short term plan. but hybrids can't be cheap to make either.
Old 12-04-23, 05:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
plain f150s are half the price of lightnings so contractors aren't interested. that's the ev problem. hopefully over time tesla can bring the price down of cybertruck.

meanwhile, it seems ford's plan is to ramp hybrid f150s which isn't a bad short term plan. but hybrids can't be cheap to make either.
And Plain F150s are half the price of Cybertrucks. Its all about price, the cost of entry and cost of repair are just too high for any enterprise to consider a CyberTruck for any purpose other than the attention it draws. Its not a "tool" and these companies use vehicles as a tool.

If as you said the power in an EV truck for use on a jobsite were of value, companies would be willing to pay for that, and they aren't. Bottom line is a contractor almost never rolls up to a jobsite where there is no power that is already worked out.
Old 12-04-23, 09:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
GM and Ford REALLY hope you are right.
The best selling vehicles in America for as long as I can remember being alive are Ford and Chevy/GMC trucks.

CT will sell like crazy but it's not putting 1500s in jeopardy at all.

For example, I like this thing believe it or not. But it's laughable to compare it to a meat and potatoes 1500 from legacy automakers who get them stunningly right.
Old 12-04-23, 09:54 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Bottom line is a contractor almost never rolls up to a jobsite where there is no power that is already worked out.
This is simply not true. After the dot com bubble I became a painter it was common not to have power the homes were always in a varied state of completion. In total I painted at least 500 homes. We were usually able to find power but it was a pain in the neck especially in winter.
Old 12-04-23, 10:19 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Umm, I hate to break it to ya'll but the contractors LOVE cordless power tools.

Why?

Because even if there is power at the location, it's many times inconvenient or requires a couple 100' extension cords to reach it when working outside.

Lucky to find one working outlet in the outside of a house. Lol

Cordless tools change everything.

A vehicle that has back up power to run a bank of battery chargers for a contractor is what they need.

No more looking for outlets, cordless all the way.
Old 12-04-23, 10:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Why?

Because even if there is power at the location, it's many times inconvenient or requires a couple 100' extension cords to reach it when working outside.

Lucky to find one working outlet in the outside of a house. Lol

Cordless tools change everything.

A vehicle that has back up power to run a bank of battery chargers for a contractor is what they need.

No more looking for outlets, cordless all the way.
I think the power banks is not limited to the F-150 Lightning, but also the Hybrid F-150 with the V6 also has the same power banks
Old 12-04-23, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This is simply not true. After the dot com bubble I became a painter it was common not to have power the homes were always in a varied state of completion. In total I painted at least 500 homes. We were usually able to find power but it was a pain in the neck especially in winter.
I'm in the real estate business and have painters painting houses all the time, that just hardly ever happens and when it does its some oversight or mistake. Sorry you worked for crappy people...but a builder would never have someone paint a house when there was no power installed or active. Painting is not done until the house is almost completed.

In any event though, when painting could you have afforded an $80,000 work truck?

Why?

Its really for things like table saws etc that require power. In reality though its just not an issue.

What I would have liked it for is when I detailed cars in college. Its pretty great to be able to run your buffers and power washers etc without needing the customer's power. I many times polished cars parked on the street in DC and had to run LONG extension cords etc. Thats a business where something like a CyberTruck might make sense but the attention the CyberTruck attracts is still a big reason why it would

Thats exactly what this would be for
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 11:06 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's been pointed out by several reviewers. It can repel low velocity rounds. Tesla says high velocity and armor piercing, not so much
Yeah I doubt it would stop a full house .357......we shall see soon enough but I know for sure it won't stop ANY rifle rounds.
The following 2 users liked this post by Striker223:
AMIRZA786 (12-04-23), Margate330 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 11:08 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
To me, they shouldn’t even claim protection against low velocity rounds if they don’t actually certify it. There are very specific armor certification criteria and to my knowledge Tesla hasn’t completed them. I hope they’ll drop the claim or actually certify it. It’s a high standard and tough to comply with.
Someone will properly uparmor these to VR6/7 I'm sure. If they do it for run of the mill cars they will do it for these
Old 12-04-23, 11:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

And Plain F150s are half the price of Cybertrucks. Its all about price, the cost of entry and cost of repair are just too high for any enterprise to consider a CyberTruck for any purpose other than the attention it draws. Its not a "tool" and these companies use vehicles as a tool.

If as you said the power in an EV truck for use on a jobsite were of value, companies would be willing to pay for that, and they aren't. Bottom line is a contractor almost never rolls up to a jobsite where there is no power that is already worked out.
This. I've been using electric tools long enough now for work that I have ability to compare costs vs gas/air tools and god are they expensive, worst offender is my electric trimmer.....tool was $300 and battery was $200 and said battery is now dead after just 2 years. A more powerful gas unit is $200-300 and used is $100 and can easily be used indefinitely for little cost but I already had a lot of M18 batteries so I risked it. End result is the M18 trimmer wore out and I can't get parts as easily and it killed a 9.0AH battery much faster than expected, from a ease/quality of life perspective the electric stuff I have is great but as tools they aren't there yet. I did recently receive an electric blower as part of a trade to dry my cars off post wash, that's nice since I don't have to start the commercial blower but again it only works on the cars that are ceramic coated and overall cost is 2x that of the gas unit with less runtime by far and less power, if I again didn't have a bunch of M18 batteries sitting around I wouldn't have accepted it.

The biggest plus of the cordless tools for me is that I can move them around easily and quite frankly they are prestige items that don't require a serious air setup that I haven't yet installed at my house. They allow me to easily bring stuff back home to use on a personal car for minor work where I don't have shop air, and at the shop I don't have to deal with air lines ETC. Still, at the end of the day it costs about 3x as much and if I really need to nuke something it's still going to be air powered.
Old 12-04-23, 11:19 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

In any event though, when painting could you have afforded an $80,000 work truck?...

What I would have liked it for is when I detailed cars in college. Its pretty great to be able to run your buffers and power washers etc without needing the customer's power. I many times polished cars parked on the street in DC and had to run LONG extension cords etc. Thats a business where something like a CyberTruck might make sense but the attention the CyberTruck attracts is still a big reason why it would.
That's the thing, the price of the Cybertruck is not practical for contractors that are doing the busy work.

Maybe after some years go by and they can be scooped up used and are plentiful, then I can see it.

Utilitity departments, yeah, they already run expensive bucket truck, grappling trucks, etc AKA Big Money Contracts.

And I had to laugh at your post because I know all about Looooong extension cords.

The 2nd time I went back to college I was installing high speed cable internet modems for people with dial up as my job. Had to slap in a network card on their PC and then run a dedicated cable line to gosh knows where.

Almost never an outlet on outside of house that worked to drill a simple hole thru brick to run a cable. Cordless hammer drills just came out and I got one fast because I was using my hundred footer extension cords daily. Haha

If I was a contractor now days I'd HAVE to have a power bank for cordless tools.

Last edited by Margate330; 12-04-23 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-04-23, 11:21 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah I doubt it would stop a full house .357......we shall see soon enough but I know for sure it won't stop ANY rifle rounds.
I been waiting for more gun experts to weigh in and give the scoop.

Sorry for double post, my multi quote feature broke!
Old 12-04-23, 11:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Extra batteries are always being charged.
In any event though, when painting could you have afforded an $80,000 work truck?
Easily, I made $1,000/day. Yes I worked for a crappy developer but that is VERY common.

Back to Cybertruck the stainless panels are 1.8mm very impressive how much of an impact a relatively thin material can take.

Old 12-04-23, 11:23 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

There's a reason why they only used pistol calibers + 00 buck. I'd wager 57 could probably pierce it as well

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck