EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23, 03:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Reporting back. It didn't go very well. I'm hoping it will buff out.

I hate when that happens!
The following users liked this post:
swajames (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 03:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

I wonder who owns this Cybertruck.

Old 12-04-23, 03:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Guys, don't shoot up any cars lol.
Old 12-04-23, 05:27 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Membership fee is only $50

You don't think this is the coolest truck ever built? I have a few friends who are truck owners, and they are drooling over it. Even my work colleagues in Texas love this thing. I think if you drove one, or any other Tesla you would probably understand better. No cult here, just people who are fascinated by something that everyone thought was impossible to build
I meant to respond to this but somehow it looks like I didn't.

I do not think it looks cool. That's the tradeoff for going out on the edge, it's polarizing. Some will love it, others will hate it. I think it's hideous. Owning a truck doesn't obligate me to think this thing is cool.

As for Teslas in general, I don't really need to drive one. I've ridden in them and was unimpressed by the package. Poor build quality(especially for the money) and a layout designed by tech bros for tech bros. One of the reasons I picked a G30 BMW over a G60 is that I wanted a traditional instrument cluster and switchgear vs the tablet they've replaced it with.

The day probably will come when I make the jump to EV's, but it's not this year and it almost certainly won't be to a Tesla unless they make significant changes for the better in terms of styling, quality, etc.

AMIRZA786 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 06:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I meant to respond to this but somehow it looks like I didn't.

I do not think it looks cool. That's the tradeoff for going out on the edge, it's polarizing. Some will love it, others will hate it. I think it's hideous. Owning a truck doesn't obligate me to think this thing is cool.

As for Teslas in general, I don't really need to drive one. I've ridden in them and was unimpressed by the package. Poor build quality(especially for the money) and a layout designed by tech bros for tech bros. One of the reasons I picked a G30 BMW over a G60 is that I wanted a traditional instrument cluster and switchgear vs the tablet they've replaced it with.

The day probably will come when I make the jump to EV's, but it's not this year and it almost certainly won't be to a Tesla unless they make significant changes for the better in terms of styling, quality, etc.
I was just playing with you . I don't think the Cyber Truck looks that great myself, and I'm definitely not a potential customer. I'm more intrigued by it's tech than anything else. And the fact it's a beast.

I'll agree with you that Tesla's are pretty minimalist, which is what I love about them. That and their performance as well as smooth as glass drivetrain. Coming from 30 years of Toyota and Lexus ownership, I thought I would hate them, but they are now my favorite cars. I even now love the lack of buttons.

If you are looking for luxury... stick with BMW. Nothing luxurious about Tesla.

Last thing... build quality is constantly improving. My Model Y has no build quality issues. It's not Toyota or Lexus build quality, but they do use premium materials and I can see how much it's improved from my friends 2021
Old 12-04-23, 06:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

If you are looking for luxury... stick with BMW. Nothing luxurious about Tesla.
Cybertruck has the best ride of any Tesla even on mud tires. You might change your mind if you drive one, that is a theme people were hating on it until they saw it in person and then drove it.
It's not Toyota or Lexus build quality, but they do use premium materials and I can see how much it's improved from my friends 2021
Unless we're talking about the LC or LS, Lexus interiors are plastic fantastic not impressive at all. I'm sure you've been in the current Camry the interior is not great.
Old 12-04-23, 07:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Cybertruck has the best ride of any Tesla even on mud tires. You might change your mind if you drive one, that is a theme people were hating on it until they saw it in person and then drove it.

Unless we're talking about the LC or LS, Lexus interiors are plastic fantastic not impressive at all. I'm sure you've been in the current Camry the interior is not great.
Oh I believe it's probably one of the best riding vehicles on the road, but others have different interpretations of luxury. And there are people that won't buy a Tesla simply because the cabin is too minimalist. Also I'm more talking about fit and finish, not only materials, which I know Toyota has cheaped out on. Just as an example, my brother in law who owns the Model 3 has told me that his Toyotas (he also has an Avalon hybrid his wife drives) have better fit and finish than his Model 3, although he thinks his model 3 is a way better car.

Just the nature of the beast. Not everyone is going to be sold on Tesla, and I just accept that.

I 100 percent plan to drive one. No way I'm going to pass up that opportunity! As far as buying one, probably not in cards
Old 12-04-23, 07:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Just as an example, my brother in law who owns the Model 3 has told me that his Toyotas (he also has an Avalon hybrid his wife drives) have better fit and finish than his Model 3, although he thinks his model 3 is a way better car.
What year Avalon? I've been in the current model the seat material is just okay my Model Y seats are much better.
Old 12-04-23, 07:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

What year Avalon? I've been in the current model the seat material is just okay my Model Y seats are much better.
I think he has a 2017. Let me paraphrase to you what he told me:

Exterior:
Body panels are much tighter, everything perfectly lines up. Much better paint quality

Interior:
Less road noise, better sound deadening materials, suspension handles road imperfections much better

Overall, he thinks other than what I mentioned here, the Tesla has better performance, drives better, is more efficient, has a smoother drivetrain, and the tech is decades ahead.

It just can't be denied that Tesla still needs to play catch up on quality. Because their overall product is ahead in every other way over it's competitors, people like you and I tend to forgive the shortcomings, like panel gaps and road noise
Old 12-04-23, 07:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

One more thing I forgot... he was a little peeved that Home Link had to be bought separately. Now he has to keep a separate clicker for his entry gate to his community. Every car from 2010 on has Home Link built in
Old 12-04-23, 07:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla fixed the ride on Highland and I hear 2023 Model Y has revised shocks. I agree the suspension could be better from a comfort perspective, for handling it is amazing you can go way faster in corners than any Toyota sedan I've driven it's not even close. Toyota's current interiors to me give the first impression of luxury but when you really start to look at them, not so much. And so many unnecessary styling cues and details.

Cybertruck chassis is apparently extremely stiff that always helps ride quality.
One more thing I forgot... he was a little peeved that Home Link had to be bought separately. Now he has to keep a separate clicker for his entry gate to his community. Every car from 2010 on has Home Link built in
That is annoying but isn't there an easy way to add it? I haven't looked into this I'm using the old clicker.

edit - Tesla wants $465 that's robbery

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-04-23 at 08:03 PM.
AMIRZA786 (12-04-23)
Old 12-04-23, 08:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Cybertruck has the best ride of any Tesla
That’s not saying much, quite frankly.
Old 12-04-23, 08:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla fixed the ride on Highland and I hear 2023 Model Y has revised shocks. I agree the suspension could be better from a comfort perspective, for handling it is amazing you can go way faster in corners than any Toyota sedan I've driven it's not even close. Toyota's current interiors to me give the first impression of luxury but when you really start to look at them, not so much. And so many unnecessary styling cues and details.

Cybertruck chassis is apparently extremely stiff that always helps ride quality.

That is annoying but isn't there an easy way to add it? I haven't looked into this I'm using the old clicker.

edit - Tesla wants $465 that's robbery
Lol it is robbery LoL 😅. He doesn't mind carrying the clicker.

Tesla is always improving quality, and I have no doubts people talking about build quality will disappear. I can see the difference between my Y and my friends 2021 Model 3.

​​​​​​My brother in law would buy another Tesla without hesitation. For all it's minor shortcomings, it's performance, driving dynamics and efficiency more than makes up for those minor issues
Old 12-05-23, 01:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That’s not saying much, quite frankly.
My S has a pretty good ride. Actually, Teslas have pretty good ride overall. I have 2021 Model 3 Performance, and it has way better ride/handling compromise than either IS220d or GS350 I owned. Afterall, it is a 3.2s 0-60 vehicle, it cant be that soft.

Problem with Teslas are that you have 4 types of people commenting:
1. Shareholders - where everything Tesla does is revolutionary and best ever (makes you wonder if they drove Echo in their past life). Oh no, seats in my Model 3 are godly (they are not).
2. Elon haters who dont like his comments about life or anything else happening.
3. EV haters - oh no, EVs are going to steal my freedom to drive crappy diesel, Formula 1 will cease to exist and we will be all forced out of 10s 0-60 race cars into 3s tree hugging snow flake vehicles.
4. Owners and other EV drivers - we just want to comment about our EVs. Sorry.

Us poor folks are having hard time using general forums because everything is colored with those first 3 lenses. It is just another type of propulsion, it is going to be fine, and yes, everyone will drive EV, be that in 2 years or 7 years.
The following 4 users liked this post by spwolf:
AMIRZA786 (12-05-23), bitkahuna (12-05-23), bowser (12-05-23), plex (12-05-23)
Old 12-05-23, 02:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Back to Cybertruck, since this thread is mostly about looks and preconceived notions about Teslas, lets see some cool features.
  • 800v platform - Porsche, Hyundai/Kia and some Chinese companies already have 800v platforms in the market.
    • First 800v platform in the world that can be charged 250kw on 400v chargers (majority of the chargers in the world, including all superchargers), and 350w on 800v chargers. Battery back consists of 4x 200v packs that can be run in serial or parallel mode, to support 400v/800v charging.
It is probably one of the coolest practical EV feature that Cybertruck has - in reality Hyundai has awesome charging at 800v, but at 400v they will charge around 100kw. Porsche has standard 50kw 400v charging and you could pay for 150kw upgrade. Chinese probably suck *** at 100kw or less.

It is huge little thing that is done because Tesla engineers actually drive EVs. It also makes a huge difference in real life.

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck