EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23 | 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

5 feet? i don't think so lol ... really?
Oh yeah, it’s the whole height of the windshield

i just replaced the 'new' wipers on my ioniq with bosch icons. waaaaay better.
No option for the S Class but MB.
Old 12-06-23 | 07:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Clearly thats the ride I'm looking for, so yeah I would say its not good enough. Like I said, the Model S rides fine, not great but fine. Plenty of smaller cars ride much better, E Class, 5 Series, Genesis G80...etc and thats even without air suspension. An E Class on air suspension blows the Model S away.

I compare the Model S against other cars I would consider
it is just irrelevant in Cybertruck discussion as no truck will ride like S class, especially for half the price.

Literally you can go to any thread here and say ride is not good enough, I need $150k S class ride in my truck. Heck, MQS does not ride like S class either.
The following 2 users liked this post by spwolf:
Hameed (12-06-23), LeX2K (12-06-23)
Old 12-06-23 | 08:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i saw munro/musk video and it showed the wiper doing a horrendously bad job of tryint o wipe light rain away (all kind of streaks and missed arc streams).
i would not look at preproduction vehicles to see how the performance of a .... wiper will be. Probably just old/not to the spec rubber on the wiper.

Honestly, it is only on Tesla where preproduction cars are judged for panel gaps, consumption, charging speed, off road performance, anything really. Hey, in 2019 demo, glass could not hold a baseball ball, right?

On the other side, we have new Tacoma, all review units come with preproduction toy plastic on the car doors, that you cant simply figure out why Toyota left since it looks so bad, and all the reviewers are saying it is fine, just preproduction. It is not you - it is everyone and double standards are just funny.
The following 2 users liked this post by spwolf:
AMIRZA786 (12-06-23), LeX2K (12-06-23)
Old 12-06-23 | 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is just irrelevant in Cybertruck discussion as no truck will ride like S class, especially for half the price.

Literally you can go to any thread here and say ride is not good enough, I need $150k S class ride in my truck. Heck, MQS does not ride like S class either.
How many big pickups have you driven? They ride incredibly well...pretty darn close to an S Class. My business partner drives them and I ride in them all the time.

In any event the comment you are so upset about was to another poster's comment that the CyberTruck is the best riding Tesla. What I said was that doesn't mean much because Tesla as a brand doesn't make great riding cars. So yeah, I do question how the Cybertruck will ride compared to other trucks.
Old 12-06-23 | 08:50 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

How many big pickups have you driven? They ride incredibly well...pretty darn close to an S Class. My business partner drives them and I ride in them all the time.

In any event the comment you are so upset about was to another poster's comment that the CyberTruck is the best riding Tesla. What I said was that doesn't mean much because Tesla as a brand doesn't make great riding cars. So yeah, I do question how the Cybertruck will ride compared to other trucks.
According to Jason Camisa, he says it's the best riding truck...period. On mud tires. I take his reviews seriously
Old 12-06-23 | 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
According to Jason Camisa, he says it's the best riding truck...period. On mud tires. I take his reviews seriously
Thats good news...
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-06-23)
Old 12-06-23 | 09:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thats good news...
Marques Brownlee compared it the Ford Lightning and he said it's just incredible how stiff the chassis is of the CT compared to the Lightning.

The Lighting felt loose and slightly disconnected compared to the CT. And the Lightning is very well put together on its own account.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hameed:
LeX2K (12-06-23), SW17LS (12-06-23)
Old 12-06-23 | 09:26 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by Hameed
Marques Brownlee compared it the Ford Lightning and he said it's just incredible how stiff the chassis is of the CT compared to the Lightning.

The Lighting felt loose and slightly disconnected compared to the CT. And the Lightning is very well put together on its own account.
We almost got an F150 Lightning but it was an immediate no after test driving it. I hated the way it drove. Didn't feel like it had any of the EV "perks" like low center of gravity, etc. It was incredibly smooth and quiet driving around the city, almost too smooth and quiet but the ride on the highway was a dealbreaker for me. There was constant up and down floating/bouncing. I couldn't stand it. Then I had to exit and take a mildy curvy backroad to get back to the dealership and it just completely fell apart. I got the impression that it only liked going in straight lines lol.

I imagine the Cybertruck will drive exactly like I imagine an EV truck would, maybe even better. I can't wait to drive it.

Edit: I should add, another major dealbreaker was the fact that I couldn't fit comfortably in the back seat. I'm 6'4 and fully expected to be able to sit comfortably in the back of the F150. But nope, headroom was a major issue. I had to tuck my chin to my chest basically to sit there. Unacceptable, because I fit perfectly fine and comfortably in the back of a Ford Maverick, so that was incredibly disappointing.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-06-23 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-06-23 | 09:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by signdetres
We almost got an F150 Lightning but it was an immediate no after test driving it. I hated the way it drove. Didn't feel like it had any of the EV "perks" like low center of gravity, etc. It was incredibly smooth and quiet driving around the city, almost too smooth and quiet but the ride on the highway was a dealbreaker for me. There was constant up and down floating/bouncing. I couldn't stand it. Then I had to exit and take a mildy curvy backroad to get back to the dealership and it just completely fell apart. I got the impression that it only liked going in straight lines lol.

I imagine the Cybertruck will drive exactly like I imagine an EV truck would, maybe even better. I can't wait to drive it.
Have you watched the Top Gear review? Same comments there - amazing ride quality. And the British guys are not really truck guys.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-06-23)
Old 12-06-23 | 09:35 AM
signdetres
Racer

Have you watched the Top Gear review? Same comments there - amazing ride quality. And the British guys are not really truck guys.
No I haven't seen it. I'll check it out
Old 12-06-23 | 09:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I think they secretly are but would never admit it. . I loved the ollllld Top Gear where Hammond had the (05ish) Escalade driving through London, I personally thought he was lying through his teeth trying to find things to complain about it.
Old 12-06-23 | 10:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by signdetres

Edit: I should add, another major dealbreaker was the fact that I couldn't fit comfortably in the back seat. I'm 6'4 and fully expected to be able to sit comfortably in the back of the F150. But nope, headroom was a major issue. I had to tuck my chin to my chest basically to sit there. Unacceptable, because I fit perfectly fine and comfortably in the back of a Ford Maverick, so that was incredibly disappointing.
Well there's always going to be the "for a truck" qualifier, but the ride on the Lighting is reasonably good "for a truck" in my experience. I've owned a fair few and my Lightning does pretty well, the closest competitor would be the Ram on air which I get to experience a lot. The Ford has independent rear suspension which helps. Regardless, trucks are always going to ride better with a bit of weight on the cab and/or bed, a test with just a driver is going to exacerbate the fact that something that can carry a decent payload isn't at that point in time. Funnily enough it's actually the ride people seem to like when they take a drive in it. As a former Illinois resident I was going to say maybe it's your midwest roads but ours here aren't great either so that's probably not the reason. I still think it's one of the better riding trucks. It does have a low CoG, and it does, of course have the biggest EV benefit which is a 4 second 0-60 (it's been tested at under 4 seconds) and the ability to spin the wheels if you mash the pedal even when you're already driving at 30 mph. You're not doing that in too many traditional trucks, and I love it.

As for headroom, it's actually bigger than a Maverick. The one you tested must have had a moonroof. Mine has the full panoramic and that does cost some rear headroom. Without the moonroof, the Maverick is a little tighter per Ford's own specs. I'm not quite 6'4", but not far off and it's OK for me in the back but then again I'm never in the back so it's academic.

I'm quite interested to see the rear headroom in the Cybertruck. You can't really tell from reviews, and I've yet to see a published spec on that.
Old 12-06-23 | 10:51 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Old 12-06-23 | 11:02 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Does it have the dancing/bouncing feature to get out of mud/dirt/sand like MB?
Old 12-06-23 | 11:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Well there's always going to be the "for a truck" qualifier, but the ride on the Lighting is reasonably good "for a truck" in my experience. I've owned a fair few and my Lightning does pretty well, the closest competitor would be the Ram on air which I get to experience a lot. The Ford has independent rear suspension which helps. Regardless, trucks are always going to ride better with a bit of weight on the cab and/or bed, a test with just a driver is going to exacerbate the fact that something that can carry a decent payload isn't at that point in time. Funnily enough it's actually the ride people seem to like when they take a drive in it. As a former Illinois resident I was going to say maybe it's your midwest roads but ours here aren't great either so that's probably not the reason. I still think it's one of the better riding trucks. It does have a low CoG, and it does, of course have the biggest EV benefit which is a 4 second 0-60 (it's been tested at under 4 seconds) and the ability to spin the wheels if you mash the pedal even when you're already driving at 30 mph. You're not doing that in too many traditional trucks, and I love it.

As for headroom, it's actually bigger than a Maverick. The one you tested must have had a moonroof. Mine has the full panoramic and that does cost some rear headroom. Without the moonroof, the Maverick is a little tighter per Ford's own specs. I'm not quite 6'4", but not far off and it's OK for me in the back but then again I'm never in the back so it's academic.

I'm quite interested to see the rear headroom in the Cybertruck. You can't really tell from reviews, and I've yet to see a published spec on that.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ev-...rtruck-73.html
Post #729
  • Headroom: 41.6″ front, 39″ rear
  • Legroom: 41″ front, 40.9″ rear
  • Shoulder room: 63″ front, 62″ rear
  • Hip room front/rear: 57.2″

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck