EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
It's okay to have more options no reason to feel threatened.
Hes right…like I have said before it’s not a work truck
Old 12-13-23, 05:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Right now people in Beverly Hills and West LA are doing everything but cutting each others throats trying to get these.

They're not work trucks. They're status symbols. Construction big wigs aren't planning on buying fleets of these anytime soon.

They're still going to sell like free hotcakes.
Old 12-13-23, 06:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Not only is this the best work truck out there we will see it used by many contractors. Quote me and revisit. None of you will have the ***** to admit you were wrong.

Old 12-13-23, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not only is this the best work truck out there we will see it used by many contractors. Quote me and revisit. None of you will have the ***** to admit you were wrong.
Do you have a response to anything swajames said in his post? Or just "Its the best thing ever" with nothing behind that to back that up?

Originally Posted by swajames
So this highlights the danger of uncritically taking things at face value. The Cybertruck does not have 2831 liters of load volume. That's 100 cubic feet.

Tesla itself says it's 67 cubic feet, and that's only if you were to load up the entire load area under the tonneau. So Carwow is off by the small matter of 1000 liters. And that 67 cubic feet almost certainly includes the frunk.

Plus, if we're willing to take load under the entire tonneau as the loadspace then you have to accept that there are hundreds of readily available camper shells for something like mine that quickly, easily and cheaply get you more loadspace than the Cybertruck including the space under the tonneau - because you don't lose half the space above the bed like you do in Cybertruck because of its gradient.

You also have to factor in the non vertical sides on the Cybertruck bed and the much larger frunk on something like my Lightning (it's twice as big as Cybertruck), never mind the significantly greater interior volume. Because work sometimes involves people.

A big reason why pickups are so great for work is all of the universal things that will bolt right up to one, from ladder carriers to shells to toolboxes, all manner of things...none of which will work on a Cybertruck.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-13-23 at 06:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
swajames (12-13-23)
Old 12-13-23, 06:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Okay buddy, whatever you say lol
I'm right and you know it.
Old 12-13-23, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm right and you know it.
You think that because you don't have any experience operating a business that uses vehicles for tools...

Try making a case for us why a contractor would buy a CyberTruck...because I truly see no reason why they would, and I would never buy one for a work application. Too expensive, too unsual a body shape, cant fit universal equipment to it...I'm sure Tesla will make racks and equipment, but at MUCH higher cost.
Old 12-13-23, 06:55 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Didn't you see the brand new GMC work truck I posted on here? $43k. INSANELY huge bed. Stout engine. Outlets and wifi and stuff, even on a cheap work truck. Contractors aren't lining up to buy these Cybertrucks, wealthy Americans are.

Old 12-13-23, 07:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

It's okay to have more options no reason to feel threatened.
Lex2k, knock off the passive aggressive and rude posts or you'll be asked to exit thread.
Old 12-13-23, 07:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Moderator edit. Lex2k exit this thread. If you disagree with a moderator request use PM to discuss your comcerns, not continue the rude comments in the thread

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-13-23 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 07:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What? I was a contractor with a giant work truck.
You said you painted houses. That’s different than running a business that purchases and outfits vehicles as tools.

Here's why. Can charge at home, can power your home or any home. Charges my tools and runs just about any electrical device. Almost no maintenance. Comes standard with a powered bed cover. Nearly indestructible body no more worrying about always fixing body damage so my truck doesn't make my business look like crap. This was a huge headache. Again, almost no maintenance that was by far my biggest expense besides general supplies. Unless you MUST have a long bed, Cybertruck is an awesome on site vehicle.
You can do all of that with an F150 Lightning that costs far less and has a standard bed that will accommodate any tool kit or cage you want to bolt onto it, and contractors still don’t buy those. Why? Because they don’t make any financial sense. They’re too expensive, most contractors don’t have an easy way to charge trucks at night etc. Work trucks don’t have tonneau covers because they haul things in their bed the covers don’t make sense for.

When you can buy a work truck like AJT posted for half the cost of a CyberTruck (meaning you can buy two for the price of one CyberTruck) and you can bolt any ladder rig or toolbox or whatever up to it, you would never buy a CT…

Its all just money.
Old 12-13-23, 07:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You said you painted houses. That’s different than running a business that purchases and outfits vehicles as tools..
So you think a painter is not running a business. I see. I carried around more weight than most contractors and had some very expensive power tools.

When you can buy a work truck like AJT posted for half the cost of a CyberTruck (meaning you can buy two for the price of one CyberTruck) and you can bolt any ladder rig or toolbox or whatever up to it, you would never buy a CT…
Just as Tesla drove down the cost of the 3 and Y same will happen with Cybertruck. Not every trim will be the top end Beast version. Cybertruck bed has a built in securing system I assume you didn't notice.

Last edited by LeX2K; 12-13-23 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 07:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So you think a painter is not running a business and that painters don't need any tools. I see.
I’m saying is a different business. From the conversations I have had with you you yourself were painting houses, you weren’t running a painting business. Did you go out and buy any new truck or did you just drive an older inexpensive truck that did what you needed?

Did you make enough money painting houses where it was financially feasible for you to spend $1,500 a month on a truck? Because I operate a business that grosses $3M a year and it doesn’t make financial sense for me to do that…I would never spend that kind of money on work trucks, makes no sense. Especially when I can’t build out their beds the way I want.

These work vehicles are just tools. It’s like a screwdriver. You buy what does the job for the least cost. These vehicles are WAY too expensive for this use and they can’t be customized and. It out like a contractor needs.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-13-23 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 07:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I’m saying is a different business. From the conversations I have had with you you yourself were painting houses, you weren’t running a painting business. Did you go out and buy any new truck or did you just drive an older inexpensive truck that did what you needed?
I RAN A BUSINESS holy crap man. I bought a brand new truck it wasn't worth it to me to have a vehicle that wasn't reliable. The power sprayer alone was a small fortune. I used 10-15 gallons of paint PER DAY. Painting is extremely hard work you appear to have zero idea what's involved. Do you think painting is running a roller over a wall and that's it? I get that impression. Try painting an entire house in 3 hours see if you can pull it off.
Did you make enough money painting houses where it was financially feasible for you to spend $1,500 a month on a truck? Because I operate a business that grosses $3M a year and it doesn’t make financial sense for me to do that…
Contractor has to have a reliable vehicle if I don't show up the developer will get someone else. In fact I got the job for this very reason, I was reliable. I easily made enough to buy a new truck I made more painting than I ever did in IT. I will tell you flat out not having to get gas all the time would have been so nice, there is nothing worse than being burnt out at the end of the day and having to hit a gas station. Or getting gas at 5:00 in the morning. Charging at home is a game changer.
Old 12-13-23, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I RAN A BUSINESS holy crap man. I bought a brand new truck it wasn't worth it to me to have a vehicle that wasn't reliable. The power sprayer alone was a small fortune. I used 10-15 gallons of paint PER DAY. Painting is extremely hard work you appear to have zero idea what's involved. Do you think painting is running a roller over a wall and that's it? I get that impression. Try painting an entire house in 3 hours see if you can pull it off.
Im not hiring any contractor to paint a house in 3 hours lol. If you think that impresses me, it doesn’t. Nobody’s using a paint sprayer on my dime.

I work with painters every day. So here’s the question…where on a CT are you going to mount your ladders? How much paint can you haul? You’re one person driving one truck, you can’t operate a business at scale buying $80,000 trucks for all your painting crews to drive, especially when they can’t carry their ladders on the truck.

Contractor has to have a reliable vehicle if I don't show up the developer will get someone else. In fact I got the job for this very reason, I was reliable. I easily made enough to buy a new truck I made more painting than I ever did in IT. I will tell you flat out not having to get gas all the time would have been so nice, there is nothing worse than being burnt out at the end of the day and having to hit a gas station. Or getting gas at 5:00 in the morning. Charging at home is a game changer.
Then why don’t contractors buy F150 Lightnings? Because they don’t, and they don’t have any of the other functional limitations of a CT.

The reason I don’t think the CT is a viable work truck is not because it’s electric. It’s the design and cost of the truck. I would buy electric trucks if I had a place to charge them and financially it made sense.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-13-23 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 07:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Im not hiring any contractor to paint a house in 3 hours lol. If you think that impresses me, it doesn’t. Nobody’s using a paint sprayer on my dime.
You hire painters that do it via roller and tray? Why? Spray and back roll it cuts down time by 90% and you get a better application it looks flawless. I don't think you're being serious.

Cybertruck has mounting points in the bed, sides of the bed and going into the roof line. When EV pickups are cost parity with gas you'll be throwing money away not using them. Even if they are $10,000+ more you'll make that back pretty quickly I spent a small fortune on gas.

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck