EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You hire painters that do it via roller and tray? Why? Spray and back roll it cuts down time by 90% and you get a better application it looks flawless. I don't think you're being serious.
Yes, because the quality of the work is much better.

Cybertruck has mounting points in the bed, sides of the bed and going into the roof line. When EV pickups are cost parity with gas you'll be throwing money away not using them.
You don’t get it. The mounting points are there but nobody makes systems to install in the bed. You have to buy an equipment mounting system for ladders and gear and window panes or water tanks or whatever other kind of equipment you need to carry. With a regular pickup they are interchangeable. You can buy any system and bolt it onto any pickup. Any toolbox, any pickup. None of that will work with the CyberTruck because of its design. Custom solutions will need to be fabricated, and they will only be fabricated if there is a market and even if they are fabricated they will be exponentially more expensive than what you can buy for a normal truck.

When cost parity occurs for EV trucks they will become much more attractive to enterprise applications I agree, like I said the CT’s design is the issue here, not it being an EV. If I’m going to buy EV trucks for my business I’m going to buy trucks I can put any gear solution onto I want.
Old 12-13-23, 08:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Lex2k, exit this thread.
Old 12-14-23, 05:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hes right…like I have said before it’s not a work truck
sure it is, if you work at starbucks.
Old 12-14-23, 05:45 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

I see CT being used as a promotional vehicle for businesses, but not necessarily used by the contractors themselves in many lines of work for the reasons noted. So you might see a roofing company buy a few CT's and wrap them with the name of the business and those are used to drive around and provide estimates, etc. But I would assume the workers showing up to do the job aren't driving one. I have some buddies that own various trade businesses and all of them are interested in having a CT as a way to promote their brand.
Old 12-14-23, 06:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I see CT being used as a promotional vehicle for businesses, but not necessarily used by the contractors themselves in many lines of work for the reasons noted. So you might see a roofing company buy a few CT's and wrap them with the name of the business and those are used to drive around and provide estimates, etc. But I would assume the workers showing up to do the job aren't driving one. I have some buddies that own various trade businesses and all of them are interested in having a CT as a way to promote their brand.
same argument can be made for f150 lightning too. one of my contractor clients has one, but the 'workers' drive gas trucks.

although he doesn't have it for promotion (not wrapped, etc), he simply prefers the ev powertrain. he's also on wait list for a cybertruck.
Old 12-14-23, 07:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
same argument can be made for f150 lightning too. one of my contractor clients has one, but the 'workers' drive gas trucks.

although he doesn't have it for promotion (not wrapped, etc), he simply prefers the ev powertrain. he's also on wait list for a cybertruck.
Yes, but my point is the CT's unique styling makes it stand out more for promotional purposes (IMO of course). A wrapped Lightning looks like an F150. A CT looks like nothing else.
Old 12-14-23, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

sure it is, if you work at starbucks.
If you're an executive at Starbucks lol

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Yeah, this I agree with, for the attention the CT gets

Right, lets put it this way...my S560 is a work vehicle too lol. Its leased by my company.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 02:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I wish we lived back in LA still, because I bet there are more than a few running around!!!

Love it or hate it it will stop and make you turn around, I'll give it that.

I think it's hilarious how we are all all over the place with opinions, I think the design is great.

I want to see the lighting up close.
Old 12-14-23, 03:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I wish we lived back in LA still, because I bet there are more than a few running around!!!

Love it or hate it it will stop and make you turn around, I'll give it that.

I think it's hilarious how we are all all over the place with opinions, I think the design is great.

I want to see the lighting up close.
I actually think there are two major opinions: 1) It's butt ugly and 2) It's the coolest thing I've ever seen. There are people on the fence debating if they like it or not, but on looks, it's one or the other
Old 12-14-23, 03:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I actually think there are two major opinions: 1) It's butt ugly and 2) It's the coolest thing I've ever seen. There are people on the fence debating if they like it or not, but on looks, it's one or the other
It's not the coolest thing I've ever seen, but it's cool AF for sure!!!

Like I said if I were rich like 8 car rich, I'd absolutely have a Plaid.
Old 12-14-23, 03:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It's not the coolest thing I've ever seen, but it's cool AF for sure!!!

Like I said if I were rich like 8 car rich, I'd absolutely have a Plaid.
I don't think I could ever own a Plaid. It's too much power for someone like me, I would be tempted way too much and probably end up with a massive speeding ticket
Old 12-14-23, 04:56 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

CT is cool but it can't roll coal; that's a deal breaker for me. Just sayin'... Maybe there's an app or OTA update?
AMIRZA786 (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 05:02 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
CT is cool but it can't roll coal; that's a deal breaker for me. Just sayin'... Maybe there's an app or OTA update?
It can't roll coal, but it can wheel steel
AMIRZA786 (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 05:32 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

It reminds me of the Hummer when it first came out. I would never buy one, but they don't offend me, either.
AMIRZA786 (12-14-23)
Old 12-14-23, 07:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
It reminds me of the Hummer when it first came out. I would never buy one, but they don't offend me, either.
Like Hummers and diesel trucks, it's going to be a case where the owners are worse than the vehicle itself.
Margate330 (12-14-23)

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck