EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 06:24 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
What's funny is you are willing to do the work that's pointless - 4kwh in 1hr, but you feel like doing 100 kwh in 1hr is so terrible, you would never be able to do it.

I have had an ev for 2.5yrs now, and i consider phevs worst of both worlds.

I would never spend effort needed to charge 4kwh in 1hr. To me that's completely pointless.

🤣

I rented a Model 3 performance. I had it Thurs-Sat. I had to charge it 3x. I ordered a PHEV soon as I returned from vacation. Took delivery 1 month and 1 wk later. I consider best of both worlds😉 Completely worth it.
Old 01-23-24, 03:55 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
You have to at least acknowledge there's a significant difference between experience and opinion.
Usually. Not always. I don't always need to experience something to figure out whether or not it works for me. Most of this isn't rocket science if you are willing to do the research. There is just a lot more of that research to do when considering an EV.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 05:13 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
It's a mistake to think that EV customers buy what they buy because they want to save money or that they pay much attention to gas prices either. Any operating cost savings are just an added bonus and don't really factor in. The main reasons I and everyone else I know who has an EV are because they are faster, quieter, more refined, have unique features and because they generally improve over time with OTA upgrades.
Not having to get gas at night in winter after work was a big factor. Wife was still ready to get a Mercedes, but left the test drive thinking cars had stagnated in the eight years since last buying and she would just be spending a bunch of money to get a bigger back seat for the kids. The fact that Tesla was actually innovating appealed to her.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I rented a Model 3 performance. I had it Thurs-Sat. I had to charge it 3x. I ordered a PHEV soon as I returned from vacation. Took delivery 1 month and 1 wk later. I consider best of both worlds😉 Completely worth it.
That model 3 was not very well taken care of, not a surprise for a rental I guess. The 12v needs to be replaced, I guess people will keep driving it till it won't start. At least it gave a warning, mine died catastrophically with no warning, which is a classic Tesla move. We have a solution for everything except it may not work at all.

Originally Posted by Bob04
Usually. Not always. I don't always need to experience something to figure out whether or not it works for me. Most of this isn't rocket science if you are willing to do the research. There is just a lot more of that research to do when considering an EV.
Yes and no for me. We bought a Model 3 as a commuter car, which as everyone's mentioned is the no brainer use case. Now it is the everything car, which I never would have guessed since we have three kids and our other car is a three row SUV. Now the SUV is the commuter car, except for the annual beach trip because beach gear.
AMIRZA786 (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 05:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Just my experience, but 99 percent of non EV owners I talk to (mostly in person) have completely wrong or biased information.
definitely my experience too. first question EVERYONE asks me about my ev is "what's the range?" even though many of those people rarely drive more than 10 miles in a 'trip' lol.

it seems that people who've never lived with an EV have lots of opinions to share with me...which is fine
lol - part of the problem is people being math challenged.

a camry has 18.5 gallon tank. mileage is 27/38 city/highway, so let's say 32 average. so 'range' is 18.5*32 is 592 miles. a hybrid one does even better. however, most people only feel comfortable re-fueling when the car has a 1/4 tank left, so that makes effective range (.75 of that or) 444 miles. most ev's between charges are at most 200 miles, so the camry gets TWICE or more the range between 'refueling'. that's not insignificant, but as you know, what it represents in the end is a mild inconvenience on trips, not even relevant for day to day use with at home charging.

First I want to start off with Youtube..the worst way to get information on EV's, IMO.
lol, i don't agree... like any 'media' there's good and bad. whatever you want to 'prove' there will be a video supporting your cause, ha.

Avg. Cost of gas
Availability of public chargers
Cost to insure
Resale
Reliability
Service center (closest Tesla service center to me is 101 miles away 2hrs)
Cold weather effects

In addition like you mention how it fits your lifestyle. It may be safe to say a lot buyers don’t look further than cost of the vehicle, $7500 tax credit, charging at home before they go EV.
not really sure your point except part of your ongoing virtue-signaling about how your phev is the savior of the world.
bottom line is lots of variables, no one size fits all. comments on your factors though

Avg. Cost of gas - what about Avg. Cost of electricity too? like gas, electricity costs vary widely, including free with solar. where i live electricity happens to be cheap, so my 'refueling' cost of my ev is 1/3 the cost of gas.

Availability of public chargers - not relevant as a daily driver. i've never used a public charger.

Cost to insure - my insurance went DOWN when i switched from gas to ev. don't assume it always goes up.

Resale - i leased - no care.

Reliability - depends on definition - fit and finish is not 'reliability'. all cars are extremely reliable and electric cars are incredibly reliable.

Service center (closest Tesla service center to me is 101 miles away 2hrs) - don't base everything on tesla. my hyundai dealer is nearby, not that i expect to go there more than once a year!

Cold weather effects - move to florida, lol

Is there any EV that charges at 350kw and maintains that speed throughout the charge?
setup that strawman you already know the answer to.
my car is rated to charge 10%-80% in 18 minutes at a dc charger. sounds good to me.

I spent exactly 1hr charging at a public charger couple days ago and my kids were getting antsy.
why on earth would you EVER charge your phev using level 2 public charging?

I wanted to experience it with and make my kids suffer in the car.
fixed lol

My experiment could compare if I had a Tesla truck looking at Jerry charge his Tesla truck
there's nothing remotely similar in the 2 scenarios.

My friend bought his MYLR to save money. At least that’s what he told me. When he switched his insurance over he told me “so much for the gas savings when you factory in the cost of insurance.” Then the following months his electricity bill obviously increased by a lot. One feature he misses at times, Apple CarPlay. And according to him his MYLR isn’t as good in inclement weather as his previous AWD SUV. With that being said, he loves his MYLR
your last point is all that matters in the end. most people don't buy an electric car to save money. i did factor it in with mine as my 'fueling' costs went from about $120 a month to $30.

🤣
moving the goalposts from cost and charging to trim fit and finish on a tesla. mmkay. if you look at a recent 3 or y you'll see the fit and finish is really good.

in 3 days you HAD to charge is 3x? guess you drive a lot. and since you rented it i guess you didn't have level 2 home charging in place. so not exactly realistic.

your rav4 prime is a great compromise. great range, decent power, pretty useful... good job toyota, and go you!

personally, i hate the sound of the 4 cylinder under load (cvt?) when it kicks in. i don't like the space compromises of a hybrid vehicle although toyota did a great job with the rav4. the rav4 is very similar in size to the ioniq 5 yet the rav4 wheelbase is 12" less.
Old 01-23-24, 08:02 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

not really sure your point except part of your ongoing virtue-signaling about how your phev is the savior of the world. Not my words. It just fits me. I try to make an EV make sense in how I would use it.
bottom line is lots of variables, no one size fits all. comments on your factors though

Avg. Cost of gas - what about Avg. Cost of electricity too? like gas, electricity costs vary widely, including free with solar. where i live electricity happens to be cheap, so my 'refueling' cost of my ev is 1/3 the cost of gas. Same. If I lived in Cali…EV all the way!! Maybe have a LC on the side 😉

Availability of public chargers - not relevant as a daily driver. i've never used a public charger. Aren’t you planning your 1st road trip.

Cost to insure - my insurance went DOWN when i switched from gas to ev. don't assume it always goes up. Good deal. That’s a 1st I’ve heard personally.

Resale - i leased - no care.

Reliability - depends on definition - fit and finish is not 'reliability'. all cars are extremely reliable and electric cars are incredibly reliable.

Service center (closest Tesla service center to me is 101 miles away 2hrs) - don't base everything on tesla. my hyundai dealer is nearby, not that i expect to go there more than once a year! We have a local Hyundai dealer but I’m not sure if the local 8 Tesla super chargers are compatible with non Tesla vehicles so would be limited to at home level 2 charging or dare I say it, public level 2 charging.

Cold weather effects - move to florida, lol

setup that strawman you already know the answer to. Actually I don’t. I was telling my friend I forgot which EV can hold their charging speed throughout the charge. I saw it mention somewhere on here.
my car is rated to charge 10%-80% in 18 minutes at a dc charger. sounds good to me. One of the fastest right

why on earth would you EVER charge your phev using level 2 public charging? Not my 1st time nor not my last. I level 1 charge at work.

fixed lol

there's nothing remotely similar in the 2 scenarios.

your last point is all that matters in the end. most people don't buy an electric car to save money. i did factor it in with mine as my 'fueling' costs went from about $120 a month to $30. I’m in similar boat hence why I will use free level 2 public charger

moving the goalposts from cost and charging to trim fit and finish on a tesla. mmkay. if you look at a recent 3 or y you'll see the fit and finish is really good. It was a 2022 model I rented.

in 3 days you HAD to charge is 3x? guess you drive a lot. and since you rented it i guess you didn't have level 2 home charging in place. so not exactly realistic. I was on vacation. Supercharging was only option.

your rav4 prime is a great compromise. great range, decent power, pretty useful... good job toyota, and go you!

personally, i hate the sound of the 4 cylinder under load (cvt?) when it kicks in. i don't like the space compromises of a hybrid vehicle although toyota did a great job with the rav4. the rav4 is very similar in size to the ioniq 5 yet the rav4 wheelbase is 12" less. Not the most pleasant sound and not as sweet sounding as a Yamaha 5.0 V8
The factors I listed weren’t just for me but in general what new EV owners may not consider before purchasing.
Old 01-23-24, 04:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

🤣

That looks like beaten rental, do you believe thats what all Teslas look like? I have almost 3hr old Model 3 Performance, it is really a nice car

My Model S is nicer.
AMIRZA786 (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 04:42 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

That looks like beaten rental, do you believe thats what all Teslas look like? I have almost 3hr old Model 3 Performance, it is really a nice car

My Model S is nicer.
Same with my model Y. It's almost a year old, has 10,506 miles on it, hasn't had any issues, no panel gaps, looks new inside and outside, and is the best car car I've ever owned
Old 01-23-24, 04:56 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

My Model S is nicer.
I have a rental ES350 right now and it's in rough shape for 57K rental miles. It's also very loud from a road noise perspective and reeks of marijuana, but I'm not judging all ES's by this poor example
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (01-23-24), Hameed (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 05:23 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

My Model S is nicer.
I’ve rented 2 model 3s and both had the same gap on the side of the seat. I’m around 188lbs. I figured it was normal. The 1st model 3 had 1,800 miles. Still had paper tags. The 2nd Model 3 I believe was right under 20k miles. Both 2022s.

I said next time I will rent a Y or S. All of our luggage didn’t fit in the 3. Wife wasn’t too happy about that.
Old 01-23-24, 05:26 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Same with my model Y. It's almost a year old, has 10,506 miles on it, hasn't had any issues, no panel gaps, looks new inside and outside, and is the best car car I've ever owned
Someone on this forum had or has a misaligned charging port door and if I’m not mistaken Tesla won’t service it unless it starts to rub.

Unless that’s my friend’s Y. His has a few rattles they haven’t been able to fix and he had a couple panel gaps. 1 has been fixed. The other between the door and dash still exist. 2023 model.
Old 01-23-24, 05:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

If I lived in Cali…EV all the way!! Maybe have a LC on the side 😉
ha, i got an ev because it fit my needs, eliminated having to fill with gas (much less of a time factor on your phev of course)

Aren’t you planning your 1st road trip.
no. at some point i'll venture to orlando (180mi. round trip) and charge there to test, or just take my chances and go the 265mi each way to my only trip location (and charge on the way in one of several locations).

We have a local Hyundai dealer but I’m not sure if the local 8 Tesla super chargers are compatible with non Tesla vehicles so would be limited to at home level 2 charging or dare I say it, public level 2 charging.
there isn't any non-tesla dc (level 3) charging there?

I level 1 charge at work.
not unreasonable if available.

I’m in similar boat hence why I will use free level 2 public charger
how do you get free level 2?

It was a 2022 model I rented.
as you know, rentals take a beating so that's probably a factor. the tesla 3 i rented last september had a common (but unacceptable) defect with the piece coming from the trunk into the body, but apart from that it drove just fine.

Not the most pleasant sound and not as sweet sounding as a Yamaha 5.0 V8
ha... i'm actually on the fence as to whether i prefer the great sound of the lc500 v8 (definitely exciting) or the ninja-silence of the ioniq 5.
AMIRZA786 (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 07:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

there isn't any non-tesla dc (level 3) charging there?
Only 15% of public chargers in the country are level 3, FWIW.

Old 01-23-24, 07:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Someone on this forum had or has a misaligned charging port door and if I’m not mistaken Tesla won’t service it unless it starts to rub.

Unless that’s my friend’s Y. His has a few rattles they haven’t been able to fix and he had a couple panel gaps. 1 has been fixed. The other between the door and dash still exist. 2023 model.
I only have one major complaint about my Model Y...it can't wash itself . C'mon Elon, what were you thinking??
BayeauxLex (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 07:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Only 15% of public chargers in the country are level 3, FWIW.
And 14 percent of the 15 percent are in California 🤣
BayeauxLex (01-23-24)
Old 01-23-24, 07:55 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

ha, i got an ev because it fit my needs, eliminated having to fill with gas (much less of a time factor on your phev of course) After 4 months I plan on putting some gas in my PHEV. It’s been EV mode since beginning of September, it’s last road trip.

no. at some point i'll venture to orlando (180mi. round trip) and charge there to test, or just take my chances and go the 265mi each way to my only trip location (and charge on the way in one of several locations).

there isn't any non-tesla dc (level 3) charging there? No. EVs aren’t common here. I can go days without seeing one. I saw a Toyota BZ4X today…at the Toyota dealership.

not unreasonable if available. I get to park up front so I can charge.

how do you get free level 2? A couple dealerships (Nissan) have a level 2 charger that’s apparently open to the public. I found it on google maps. One of the chargers is inoperable I’m assuming due to the recent cold weather. On Sundays, it’s not accessible as the dealerships are closed.

as you know, rentals take a beating so that's probably a factor. the tesla 3 i rented last september had a common (but unacceptable) defect with the piece coming from the trunk into the body, but apart from that it drove just fine. They were Turo rentals.

ha... i'm actually on the fence as to whether i prefer the great sound of the lc500 v8 (definitely exciting) or the ninja-silence of the ioniq 5. I take the LC has taken a backseat lately.

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck