EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24 | 12:36 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I admit, I'm biased towards Tesla, but that being said, Tesla was never founded as a Luxury brand, or even a Premium brand (that label was put on them). From it's very beginnings it put out experimental vehicles, and never claimed otherwise. So I put Toyota/Lexus on different footings. For example, a bumper falling off of an early Model 3 driving off the Tesla lot was the norm, but wheels falling off of a BZ4x was a surprise. When Tesla comes out with a half baked vehicle, usually only early adopters buy them until Tesla fixes all the issues. When Toyota comes out with a half baked BZ4x that can barely get 150 miles range, takes an hour to charge, I was completely shocked. I myself would never ever buy an earl Model Cyber Truck...I would wait a couple of years for them to iron out the issues.

I have different expectations when it comes to Toyota and Lexus, a brand that's been around for nearly 100 years now and prides themselves on perfection. Take it or leave it
IMO in the early years, Tesla could get a pass for a lot of issues because its hard to manufacturer vehicles, especially at the scale they are at. They were experimental back then, but now they are a massive player in the automotive space. Imo they are no longer a "start up" and issues like these should not be dismissed or given a pass. Even the most basic brand shouldn't have either of these issues.

If there was an issue with the 400v system I could give it a pass, because new tech and all....but a hubcap digging into the sidewall? lol that is ridiculous.

Anyway, you know what I just realized? The cybertruck should be the easiest vehicle in existence to be wrapped. If I was an owner I would probably try a DIY myself. You would hope that wrap shops charge less but I can bet that isn't the case.

I have seen some videos complaining about the noise inside from the motor....I think I would actually like that. I personally like mechanical sounds, I feel like Tesla may have intentionally done that.
Old 02-04-24 | 12:39 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

The only vehicle in North America on the market that outsells the model Y is the F-150.
The 25 Bestselling Cars, Trucks, and SUVs of 2023

Old 02-04-24 | 12:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
imo I think this is the issue. People here who defend Tesla's are pretty biased when it comes to any other manufacturers and it causes other people to sway on the extreme of hating on Tesla. (not saying others aren't biased towards toyota / lexus).

Example is seen here, hubcaps have existed for maybe 100 years or more, yet Tesla could not get it right. Sure, its a bit different than other hubcaps, but imo that's irrelevant. Now instead of saying how ridiculous this issue is, how did the engineers not see this happening and they f*ed up. We get "This issue with the tires will be fixed, if it's truly an issue they will change the tires in warranty and then move on to the next discovered issue."

However, I am 100% sure when the Bz4x had the possibility of wheels falling off you likely didn't dismiss it saying "the issue with the wheels falling off will be fixed". You probably ridiculed Toyota and the BZ4x.

Now my opinion is both issues are ridiculous and should have been caught well before vehicles were sold to customers. Complete oversight by both manufacturers and down right silly. A wheel falling off might be considered a worse issue but a hubcap digging into the sidewall increasing the possibility of a blow out isn't much better.
Answering your post on the Cyber Truck Tire....I can only say that it's the reason I would never, ever buy a first generation Tesla product. If this is indeed a larger problem and not just a one off defect, than Tesla shouldn't get a pass, but by the very nature of the company it's nothing unusual, which is why I don't make a big deal out of it. Tesla operates by different rules than other companies, for example I could take delivery of a Model Y in May, and in June someone else takes delivery of the same Model Y with updated headlights. Toyota and Lexus on the other hand wouldn't give you the updated headlights until their next refresh cycle. If that's not for you, than just buy the Toyota product and be done with it
Old 02-04-24 | 12:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

https://www.jato.com/tesla-model-y-t...hicle-of-2023/
Old 02-04-24 | 12:50 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

You stated in North America. Link you posted is worldwide. Just a bit of a technicality lol.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (02-04-24)
Old 02-04-24 | 12:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You stated in North America. Link you posted is worldwide. Just a bit of a technicality lol.
My bad.....
Old 02-04-24 | 12:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

IMO in the early years, Tesla could get a pass for a lot of issues because its hard to manufacturer vehicles, especially at the scale they are at. They were experimental back then, but now they are a massive player in the automotive space. Imo they are no longer a "start up" and issues like these should not be dismissed or given a pass. Even the most basic brand shouldn't have either of these issues.

If there was an issue with the 400v system I could give it a pass, because new tech and all....but a hubcap digging into the sidewall? lol that is ridiculous.

Anyway, you know what I just realized? The cybertruck should be the easiest vehicle in existence to be wrapped. If I was an owner I would probably try a DIY myself. You would hope that wrap shops charge less but I can bet that isn't the case.

I have seen some videos complaining about the noise inside from the motor....I think I would actually like that. I personally like mechanical sounds, I feel like Tesla may have intentionally done that.
I agree with all your points, Tesla needs to do a better job. The truth is, the Cyber Truck was harder to make then they anticipated and needs more time, but people waiting for it were getting impatient, so they released it half baked. But even half baked, reviewers and people who drive it seem to love it. I personally think it's not that attractive
Old 02-04-24 | 01:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

My bad.....
Tried to move the goal post on us 😆
Old 02-04-24 | 01:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tried to move the goal post on us 😆
It's been raining here and the ground is soft, so why not 🤣
BayeauxLex (02-04-24)
Old 02-04-24 | 01:05 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Yep, and the F Series is mostly sold in the US and Canada. The Model Y was #1 worldwide for 2023. By a country mile...
Old 02-04-24 | 01:49 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Y'all see the Cybertruck that broke a rear steering bolt @ the Optima Unplugged loop at King of Hammers?

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-broken-bolt/
Old 02-04-24 | 01:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Y'all see the Cybertruck that broke a rear steering bolt @ the Optima Unplugged loop at King of Hammers?

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-broken-bolt/
Yeah I saw that LoL!
Old 02-04-24 | 03:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Uhhh, yeah kinda. This gets a pass??? You're giving it one.
no i'm not giving it a pass, but a wheel cover issue does not make the entire car a 'gigantic pile of junk', that's irrational hyperbole.

Why can Telsa get away with this stunning lack of quality control?
doesn't sound like a QC issue - sounds like a design issue. not great, but this too shall get fixed. and taking off wheel covers until revised ones are available is not the end of the world.

It sure doesn't speak well for the rest of the vehicle. This thing ain't cheap.
there you go again. but certainly the cybertruck is NEW, untried, and radical. i EXPECT it to have problems and anyone buying one in the first year or so should expect problems. a bit like many wouldn't buy a first year GM/Ford/Chrysler/Jeep product.

I saw a gentle incline that the CT couldn't make it up. It wasn't a paid for thing.
link? souce? i saw those too, of pre-release vehicles. nice thing about teslas is they can be fixed/improved after delivery without going in for service, even my hyundai ioniq 5 just got a big software upgrade over the air.
AMIRZA786 (02-04-24)
Old 02-04-24 | 03:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexTess
Sometimes I have to keep in mind that the intelligence distribution of population is such that half the people are below the median. That's especially true when conversing with fanboys of certain brands, these people can lack important crucial thinking skills and logic.
can you be specific oh supposed member of the upper half? i am no tesla 'fanboy' as others here will attest. tesla has a certain way of doing things. it's not for everyone. new models are for risk takers, to be sure. you may have heard their slogan "move fast and break things"... deliver product, it won't be perfect, then keep improving it fast. it's a bit like microsoft software

If you also add in a financial ownership in the form of corporate shares it can further cloud judgement and views.
this is true... i won't deny some are VERY defensive about ANY criticism of tesla. but no one can rationally deny the success of the company and specifically the model 3 and Y and also the amazing supercharger network. the new model 3 highland is a significant upgrade and they will bring those changes to the Y this year presumably. they have no competition at those prices except perhaps the ioniq 5 (which is what i have).

but there's room for multiple approaches to be sure... toyota had a GREAT 2023 too!

Originally Posted by AJT123
A $13,000 Mitsubishi Mirage, or whatever the cheapest car on the market is with self eating tires would be unacceptable.
no one is saying it's acceptable, but again, the wheel unique wheel cover / tire design issue does not make the whole car a "gigantic pile of junk" as you claimed. i get it, you like tried and true, not bleeding edge.

Originally Posted by Margate330
I'm guessing proper air pressure in the tires might slow down the damage from rubbing.
exactly what i've been thinking... in fact maybe it's improper pressure that's the cause of the issue and why it wasn't caught in testing.

hubcaps have existed for maybe 100 years or more, yet Tesla could not get it right. Sure, its a bit different than other hubcaps, but imo that's irrelevant.
i don't think they're a "bit" different, i think they're a lot different, because the hubcap and tire have a completely new interlocking design. obviously tesla hasn't even delivered many cybertrucks yet, so it's not like a huge (quantity) issue, and it will get fixed. to me the interlocking design appears to be aesthetic to make the wheels look bigger than they are, and possibly functional for lowered wind resistance. i've no doubt they will quickly find a solution.

Old 02-04-24 | 04:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
link? souce? i saw those too, of pre-release vehicles.
ok found this about not being able to make it up an incline in an off road park...

and just like i said, the owner accepts the car is new and imperfect, but that when (presumably) tesla enables the lockers in the software, it should be fine.

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck