EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24, 05:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

This is beyond hilarious, the Tesla stuff.

This is written off as "oh they'll get around to fixing it....no big deal.."

The double standard is pretty bad here.

"They're harder to make than they thought...."

What kind of excuses are these?

People are gonna pay 100 thousand bucks for a CT that literally eats its own tires? That even passed engineering? How did that pass engineering?
The following 2 users liked this post by AJT123:
BayeauxLex (02-04-24), TriC (02-05-24)
Old 02-04-24, 05:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

all the problems with cybertruck

edit: haven't watched a ryan shaw video in a long time, this is a lot more balanced than his early fan worship ones.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-04-24 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-04-24, 05:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
glad you're getting a good laugh.

People are gonna pay 100 thousand bucks for a CT that literally eats its own tires? That even passed engineering? How did that pass engineering?
why don't we wait until we find out what the real issue that might be something as simple as people driving the car with under inflated tires.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-04-24 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-04-24, 05:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
glad you're getting a good laugh.

instead of spouting off, why don't we wait until we find out what the real issue that might be something as simple as people driving the car with under inflated tires.
You need to stop saying that. I'm not spouting off. Don't you talk to me like that.

And no, it's clearly a design flaw. Inflation issue? Tesla doesn't tell you when your tire is low? I've said 5 million times that I like this truck. But, its disappointing overall. All flash.
Old 02-04-24, 05:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

This is written off as "oh they'll get around to fixing it....no big deal.."

The double standard is pretty bad here.
c
"They're harder to make than they thought...."

What kind of excuses are these?

Why is it so hilarious to you? There's no need to make excuses for a company that now has more market cap than Toyota, GM and Ford combined, and has the world's best selling car. Toyota and Lexus could have been the top dog, but they chose to blow it, which is actually hilarious to me.

The Cyber Truck engineering is amazing, it doesn't matter if you like it or not. No other company would even be able to pull it off, which is why none will even attempt to. I don't like the Cyber Truck myself, but I have so much respect for the work that went into it, no other company can build anything close to it at this point and sell it for $80k or $90k

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-04-24 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-04-24, 05:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You need to stop saying that. I'm not spouting off. Don't you talk to me like that.
post edited. apologies. your strong opinions can evoke strong reactions.

And no, it's clearly a design flaw. Inflation issue? Tesla doesn't tell you when your tire is low? I've said 5 million times that I like this truck. But, its disappointing overall. All flash.
your opinions noted.
Old 02-04-24, 06:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

relevant:

A recent revelation has surfaced regarding the latest batch of Cybertrucks, indicating that they were shipped without the customary aerodynamic wheel covers. The reason for this omission has now come to light – the distinctive angular design of these covers is causing significant wear and tear on the tires.Despite the tires having a recess designed to accommodate the seven-pointed angles of the covers, friction occurs against the side wall of the tire when it makes contact with the road and deforms, touching the cover.

While these covers contribute to an enhancement in aerodynamic efficiency ranging from 5% to 10%, a small gap is maintained between the covers and the tires to facilitate air circulation for cooling the disc brakes.

In the course of initial testing, Tesla identified an issue with the gap being too large, leading to instances where the covers would detach from the wheels at high speeds. However, narrowing the gap has resulted in the tire closely interacting with the cover, resulting in notable wear and tear.

Acknowledging the problem, Tesla has committed to redesigning the wheel covers. In the interim, two potential solutions have been proposed. The first is straightforward – remove the wheel covers to prevent any undesired damage to the tires.The second, though less certain in its effectiveness, suggests slightly inflating the tires to minimize deformation of the side wall upon contact with the road.
https://daxstreet.com/cars/138956/te...e-tire-damage/
Old 02-04-24, 06:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's basically an Aero cover design flaw. Aero covers are basically fancy hubcaps. They are probably $80 an Aero cover. An easy solution to an almost non issue
Old 02-04-24, 06:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

​​​The Cyber Truck engineering is amazing, it doesn't matter if you like it or not. No other company would even be able to pull it off, which is why none will even attempt to. I don't like the Cyber Truck myself, but I have so much respect for the work that went into it, no other company can build anything close to it at this point and sell it for $80k or $90k
What is so special about it other than looking cool?? There are so many things that didn't make it into production and the range is *shock* over-estimated. Where's the promised 500 miles of range?

I could pick up one hell of a Chevy 1500 for $80,000 that could do things this CT could never do.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (02-04-24)
Old 02-04-24, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

What is so special about it other than looking cool?? There are so many things that didn't make it into production and the range is *shock* over-estimated. Where's the promised 500 miles of range?

I could pick up one hell of a Chevy 1500 for $80,000 that could do things this CT could never do.
are you actually interested in answers, or rather, it seems you've already decided it sucks?

does a chevy 1500 have:
- rear wheel steering?
- air suspension standard?
- over the air software updates to fix, improve or add features?
- a basically dent proof stainless steel body?
- a smart driving (i won't call it full self driving) feature? see this:
AMIRZA786 (02-04-24)
Old 02-04-24, 07:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It drives better than any truck that exists. It's more efficient than any other truck that exists. It can beat a Lambo Urus at any speed (the Beast edition). It doesn't get 500 miles range, but it doesn't have to with Tesla's extensive super charger network (it got 287 miles from the Throttle house drive to Yosemite). It doesn't need routine service, it practically doesn't dent, and it's only going to get better with software updates and revisions. I could go on and on.

I'm not into trucks myself and would never buy a Cyber Truck (or any truck for that matter), it looks ridiculous to me, but most of the reviews on them are good, and Tesla will just make them better and better over time. I'm betting this is going to be an extremely popular truck in the next few years. I just wish it wasn't so freaking ugly

Anyway... there is no rule saying that you have to like the way Tesla operates, the Cyber truck, or how it's engineered. If you like the Chevy 1500 better, than that's that. Again, I admire the engineering that went into turning Elon's "vision" into reality, but that's where I draw my line

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-04-24 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-04-24, 07:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Here's my final thoughts on the Cyber Truck. I hate the way it looks. They didn't have to make it look like a traditional pickup truck, but they didn't have make it look like it came out of Minecraft. It's a great piece of engineering, but it didn't have to be so complicated. Anyway I'm not one of its future customers, so all that really doesn't matter to me.

My prediction is once they refine it more and start to get the kinks out (which there are a lot of), as people get behind the wheel, they will love it, even the skeptics
Old 02-05-24, 08:24 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Saw this thing in person and it's disappointing... the people building up the hype behind this aren't pick up truck owners to begin with.

The only thing I like about Tesla is the Marketing Team.
It takes one hell of a team to brainwash people and that they executed insanely well!

I have a pick up (2022 RAM 1500 Warlock) and I would never sell it to get this thing.
You're paying upwards of 80k for:
- Hub caps (aero caps...)
- Goodyear tires (Good for one year, nobody with a truck will run good year all terrain tires, we all know they're ****)
- Panels that don't line up, you paid 80k, not $800 lol!
- No tow mirror option (I may be wrong on this one, but I haven't seen this yet)
- Sub trunk is entirely useless if you have your material on top of it... (again, not designed by a pick up owner, that's why they make RAM boxes)
- If you want to pass large items through the window and onto the dash, you can't. It's landing on that jumbo screen that they decided to put there.
- Not a rugged interior (again, go inside a real pick up), and by rugged I mean it won't scratch easily.
- The fact that things has no side steps is a giveaway of how low it actually is and how low you're sitting.

This is just off the top of my head. And I didn't even touch on the EV part (don't plan to either since this is a debate on its own).

If you're in the market for a pick up, I strongly suggest looking into gas or diesel powered one.
If you're afraid of the prices of gas, look into a V6 gas powered one, it will cost the same as your Lexus IS RWD in fuel (Lexus runs on Premium, most pick ups run on Regular).

It goes without saying, buy whatever you want in the end, but I'm just speaking from experience and to save people the disappointing.
Your "cool features" isn't impressing anyone, certainly not pick up truck owners.

Finally, they lied about the size of this thing as well... It's barely higher than a Toyota Matrix (For those that don't know, the F-150 towers over a Matrix)

Last edited by Lex_Giorgio; 02-05-24 at 08:29 PM.
Trexus (02-06-24)
Old 02-05-24, 08:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lex_Giorgio
Saw this thing in person and it's disappointing... the people building up the hype behind this aren't pick up truck owners to begin with.

It takes one hell of a team to brainwash people and that they executed insanely well!

I have a pick up (2022 RAM 1500 Warlock) and I would never sell it to get this thing.
- Goodyear tires (Good for one year, nobody with a truck will run good year all terrain tires, we all know they're ****)
- No tow mirror option (I may be wrong on this one, but I haven't seen this yet)
- Sub trunk is entirely useless if you have your material on top of it... (again, not designed by a pick up owner, that's why they make RAM boxes)
- If you want to pass large items through the window and onto the dash, you can't. It's landing on that jumbo screen that they decided to put there.
- Not a rugged interior (again, go inside a real pick up), and by rugged I mean it won't scratch easily.
- The fact that things has no side steps is a giveaway of how low it actually is and how low you're sitting.

This is just off the top of my head. And I didn't even touch on the EV part (don't plan to either since this is a debate on its own).

If you're in the market for a pick up, I strongly suggest looking into gas or diesel powered ones.
If you're afraid of the prices of gas, look into a V6 gas powered one, it will cost the same as your Lexus IS RWD in fuel (Lexus runs on Premium, most pick ups run on Regular).

Finally, they lied about the size of this thing as well... It's barely higher than a Toyota Matrix (For those that don't know, the F-150 towers over a Matrix)
My coworker who's owned nothing but BMW's and Lexus vehicles told me 'hell no' last year to owning a Tesla. Took one drive of my Model Y, and now he just bought one. Now Model Y (closely followed by Model 3) is the best selling car in the world. You see, the brainwashing you are referring to happens when you drive a Tesla, or most electric cars for that matter and say "Damn", I'm never going back. They are that good. I've been a Toyota/Lexus buyer since 1994, and I can tell you I'll probably never buy either again. Way to boring.

As far as the Cyber truck, I personally think it's ugly and would never buy one, but I'm 100 percent sure once truck owners get their hands on one, they will start jumping ship. My friend who owns a Raptor took one one for a spin and now has a Cyber beast on order.

But, to each their own, I don't judge what others like or dislike

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-05-24 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 08:50 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I really doubt you even saw the CT in person, as it is nowhere near the profile of a Matrix. You may also want to familiarize yourself with the air suspension setup, as it looks like you saw it in entry mode. If those are the only nitpicks you have, it seems to have done a good enough job...

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Lex_Giorgio;11663951]Saw this thing in person and it's disappointing... the people building up the hype behind this aren't pick up truck owners to begin with.

If you're in the market for a pick up, I strongly suggest looking into gas or diesel powered one.

It goes without saying, buy whatever you want in the end, but I'm just speaking from experience and to save people the disappointing.
Your "cool features" isn't impressing anyone, certainly not pick up truck owners.

Attached Thumbnails Tesla Cybertruck-tesla-cybertruck-specs-dimensions-weights-cargo-capacity-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck