EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-24, 08:57 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

This must be some AI generated photo on my camera roll from the Montreal Auto Show then... Your response is exactly why EV people have a bad rep, always on the defense.

The nitpicking as you call it, are the reasons as to why people buy pick up trucks.

Do you know why they put air suspension on trucks? It's so that it can load more without bottoming out.
What's next? You're going to say I don't have a truck either...

Last edited by Lex_Giorgio; 02-05-24 at 09:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (02-05-24)
Old 02-05-24, 09:25 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My coworker who's owned nothing but BMW's and Lexus vehicles told me 'hell no' last year to owning a Tesla. Took one drive of my Model Y, and now he just bought one. Now Model Y (closely followed by Model 3) is the best selling car in the world. You see, the brainwashing you are referring to happens when you drive a Tesla, or most electric cars for that matter and say "Damn", I'm never going back. They are that good. I've been a Toyota/Lexus buyer since 1994, and I can tell you I'll probably never buy either again. Way to boring.

As far as the Cyber truck, I personally think it's ugly and would never buy one, but I'm 100 percent sure once truck owners get their hands on one, they will start jumping ship. My friend who owns a Raptor took one one for a spin and now has a Cyber beast on order.

But, to each their own, I don't judge what others like or dislike
Like I said earlier, Marketing Team is great!
I have a friend that fell for this trap, he sold his M4 for a Model Y

I tried his Model Y and I disliked it. Yeah it's quick off the line and has cool features that I'll never make use of, but that's about it.
Charging sucks (waiting 20 minutes at a supercharger with him), but it's "normal" apparently. Oh and supercharging in the States is not cheap!
Having to plan a local trip based off charging stations is ridiculous.

If your friend used his Raptor for construction, he's gonna be disappointed with the cyber truck.
If he just bought it for the wow factor, then he'll be fine with this thing.

Oh and you being stuck in the back in case of an emergency is a big deal breaker, but his response to it was "I don't sit in the back when I drive"....

Old 02-05-24, 09:34 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Also, I think you got your numbers wrong for best seller:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g4...ing-cars-2023/

Model Y is #5
"best selling car in the world" <-- If you enter this in the Google search, it will show Tesla Model Y with 267,200, which wouldn't make sense, since a lot of other cars/SUV/trucks sold more.

Rav4 has 434,943 according to Car and Driver (and Ford F series is listed as #1)

Last edited by Lex_Giorgio; 02-05-24 at 09:39 PM.
Trexus (02-06-24)
Old 02-05-24, 09:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex_Giorgio
Like I said earlier, Marketing Team is great!
I have a friend that fell for this trap, he sold his M4 for a Model Y

I tried his Model Y and I disliked it. Yeah it's quick off the line and has cool features that I'll never make use of, but that's about it.
Charging sucks (waiting 20 minutes at a supercharger with him), but it's "normal" apparently. Oh and supercharging in the States is not cheap!
Having to plan a local trip based off charging stations is ridiculous.

If your friend used his Raptor for construction, he's gonna be disappointed with the cyber truck.
If he just bought it for the wow factor, then he'll be fine with this thing.

Oh and you being stuck in the back in case of an emergency is a big deal breaker, but his response to it was "I don't sit in the back when I drive"....
Completely 100 percent wrong

https://www.jato.com/tesla-model-y-t...hicle-of-2023/

I'll just agree to disagree with you as a Model Y owner and enthusiast who at 56 years old has driven everything from a Toyota Tercel to Lambo Huracan. It's pretty funny because Tesla has no marketing. People love them after driving them, Tesla's quarterly sales numbers speak for themselves. You can delude yourself into believing whatever you want, it's a free country.

You mentioned in your last post about how the EV crowd has a bad rep, but the the same can be said about the anti EV crowd. You guys need to revise your talking points, which are getting severely dated, with all due respect.

Alright man, have a great rest of your evening

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-05-24 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 10:15 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

I have a 715+ mile roadtrip in the morning towing an 24ft enclosed trailer. Temps will be in the 40s in the am and peak around 60 degrees before dropping back down to the 40s. I would be afraid to make this trip in an EV truck🫣

Tesla truck remind me somewhat of a Honda Ridgeline. It’s a “truck” but a light duty truck in a sense.

Edit: One of you is playing football and the other is playing futbol…one is quoting best selling in U.S. and the other is quoting best selling in the world.

Last edited by BayeauxLex; 02-05-24 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-05-24, 10:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I have a 715+ mile roadtrip in the morning towing an 24ft enclosed trailer. Temps will be in the 40s in the am and peak around 60 degrees before dropping back down to the 40s. I would be afraid to make this trip in an EV truck🫣

Tesla truck remind me somewhat of a Honda Ridgeline. It’s a “truck” but a light duty truck in a sense.

Edit: One of you is playing football and the other is playing futbol…one is quoting best selling in U.S. and the other is quoting best selling in the world.
I think we've had this discussion. For long distance towing, you are better off getting a traditional truck. Nobody in their right mind who tows long distances should buy an EV truck.

Total sales numbers is the most important number, IMO
BayeauxLex (02-05-24)
Old 02-05-24, 10:30 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Completely 100 percent wrong

https://www.jato.com/tesla-model-y-t...hicle-of-2023/

I'll just agree to disagree with you as a Model Y owner. I'll just have to laugh and say Tesla has no marketing. People love them after driving them, Tesla's quarterly sales numbers speak for themselves. You can delude yourself into believing whatever you want, it's a free country

You don't find it weird that Tesla has no mention of this on their site?
Google: site:toyota.com best seller
Google: site:tesla.com best seller
I'll let you see the results for yourself.

To close on this sale topic, since you mention the sales numbers speak for themselves...
1,845,985 is the official number for Tesla in 2023 (for all sales) - Source 1 + Source 2
10,307,395 is the official number for Toyota in 2023 (for all sales) - Source

By the way, I said Tesla has the best Marketing (not sarcastic).

It's far from a truck, it's 1" higher than a Rav4 at standard height! and being air lifted to its max is still shorter than a pick up truck...
Just posted my opinion on it. Best of luck doing construction work with that glorified SUV!

Last edited by Lex_Giorgio; 02-05-24 at 10:33 PM.
Trexus (02-06-24)
Old 02-05-24, 10:32 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

I think we've had this discussion. For long distance towing, you are better off getting a traditional truck. Nobody in their right mind who tows long distances should buy an EV truck.

Total sales numbers is the most important number, IMO
In your opinion, what exactly makes this thing a truck?
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.
Old 02-05-24, 11:16 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Lol - you may want to peruse my ownership history as I probably double and probably triple on ownership history on any vehicle you have ever owned including a number of trucks.

And yet, amongst your feeble ad hominem attacks, you still haven't addressed your sensationalized assessment against actual information as witness by the suspension settings that can be altered on the fly.

And concerning you nitpicking, NO one buys a truck to look at underbed storage (because there is usually none), looks at panels (have u looked at Ford's or so) or worries about towing mirrors. Those are minor quibbles as you haven't even talked about actual towing, which is the main Achilles heel right now. But hey, if a tire vendor matters that much to you, more power to you....the point wasn't to sell the CT as equivalent to ALL trucks out there (don't be so sensitive). It was only to note that you comparison against a matrix was quite sensationalized and the diatribe about other aspects was mostly inconsequential....

Pics of my last 2 trucks, lifted and power modded...

This must be some AI generated photo on my camera roll from the Montreal Auto Show then... Your response is exactly why EV people have a bad rep, always on the defense.

The nitpicking as you call it, are the reasons as to why people buy pick up trucks.

Do you know why they put air suspension on trucks? It's so that it can load more without bottoming out.
What's next? You're going to say I don't have a truck either...

Last edited by ST430; 02-05-24 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-06-24, 04:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Saw this thing in person and it's disappointing...
"this thing" if it's so bad, I guess it won't sell.

Finally, they lied about the size of this thing as well... It's barely higher than a Toyota Matrix (For those that don't know, the F-150 towers over a Matrix)
f 150's come in a lot of lengths, some shorter and some longer than cybertruck.
the cybertruck is 9" taller and over 4 FEET longer than a Toyota matrix so no idea how you came up with that.

glad you like your ram 1500! great truck.

hey I get it the cyber truck is nothing like a 'typical' pickup truck and can't do some things they do. but it has definitely generated an enormous amount of interest.
ST430 (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 04:58 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

The only thing I like about Tesla is the Marketing Team.
It takes one hell of a team to brainwash people and that they executed insanely well!
Tesla has never done any form of marketing or advertising. No commercials, no print ads. Nothing.
Old 02-06-24, 05:03 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

You don't find it weird that Tesla has no mention of this on their site?
Google: site:toyota.com best seller
Google: site:tesla.com best seller
I'll let you see the results for yourself.

To close on this sale topic, since you mention the sales numbers speak for themselves...
1,845,985 is the official number for Tesla in 2023 (for all sales) - Source 1 + Source 2
10,307,395 is the official number for Toyota in 2023 (for all sales) - Source

By the way, I said Tesla has the best Marketing (not sarcastic).

It's far from a truck, it's 1" higher than a Rav4 at standard height! and being air lifted to its max is still shorter than a pick up truck...
Just posted my opinion on it. Best of luck doing construction work with that glorified SUV!
So "Tesla has the best marketing" but "you don't find it weird that Tesla has no mention of this on their site"? 2 completely contradictory statements. Tesla does not do marketing. So you should not be surprised that they aren't marketing that the Model Y was #1 selling vehicle in 2023.

And surely you understand the difference between "best selling vehicle" for a year vs. comparing total number of all models made by a manufacturer..?? Because you're pointing out "all sales" which has nothing to do with sales of an individual model.
Old 02-06-24, 05:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

@Lex_Giorgio

Let’s keep this thread on topic of the cyber truck and not on Tesla marketing or other models. This isn’t a Toyota vs Tesla thread.

If you’ve already stated your thoughts on the model then let’s move on to new details. Please be sure to read the sticky about the purpose of the EV Chat forum and rules here.

Everyone else, back on topic of the cyber truck please.

EDIT and I thought this would be obvious, but knock off the personal commentary or do not post.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-06-24 at 08:48 AM.
Lex_Giorgio (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 06:41 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by ST430
Lol - you may want to peruse my ownership history as I probably double and probably triple on ownership history on any vehicle you have ever owned including a number of trucks.

And yet, amongst your feeble ad hominem attacks, you still haven't addressed your sensationalized assessment against actual information as witness by the suspension settings that can be altered on the fly.

And concerning you nitpicking, NO one buys a truck to look at underbed storage (because there is usually none), looks at panels (have u looked at Ford's or so) or worries about towing mirrors. Those are minor quibbles as you haven't even talked about actual towing, which is the main Achilles heel right now. But hey, if a tire vendor matters that much to you, more power to you....the point wasn't to sell the CT as equivalent to ALL trucks out there (don't be so sensitive). It was only to note that you comparison against a matrix was quite sensationalized and the diatribe about other aspects was mostly inconsequential....

Pics of my last 2 trucks, lifted and power modded...
No one cares if you owned 1 or 1,000 vehicles.
"I really doubt you even saw the CT in person" this right here is an assumption (to which you were wrong might I add), which says it all about you.
Just like how you're assuming again that you've owned more vehicles and you're assuming that owning more means something.

The person mentioning the suspension settings didn't even know what it was for...

I've compared Apple for Apple (in terms of sales), since that person was mixing up his numbers.
For what it's worth, Marketing doesn't mean commercials or billboards. The reveal of the truck falls under Marketing (Digital/Media Marketing) and so does the race against a Porsche.

DaveGS4 agreed! I've said what I wanted, but some people took it to heart as if they work for Tesla or they're related to Elon Musk.

To those that own one, if you're enjoying it, then that's all that matters at the end of day.
Trexus (02-06-24)
Old 02-06-24, 06:43 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
"this thing" if it's so bad, I guess it won't sell.

f 150's come in a lot of lengths, some shorter and some longer than cybertruck.
the cybertruck is 9" taller and over 4 FEET longer than a Toyota matrix so no idea how you came up with that.

glad you like your ram 1500! great truck.

hey I get it the cyber truck is nothing like a 'typical' pickup truck and can't do some things they do. but it has definitely generated an enormous amount of interest.
The interest is there, it was the only vehicle with a line up to sit in it at the Montreal auto show.
If you get an auto show in your town, you'll see the hype for this in real life!

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck