EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Cybertruck

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-21, 10:02 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Tesla Cybertruck

Unlike many upcoming electric vehicles, we haven't seen much in the way of Tesla Cybertruck test prototypes. But that may be changing. A YouTube user was recently flying a camera drone at a Tesla facility and got some excellent footage, also shared by Electrek, of the low-poly pickup truck out testing. And it's not the show car, as there are a number of tweaks and features visible that are clearly for the production model.

The one detail that really grabbed us was that mega-sized windshield wiper arm. It's the length of the very large windshield, plus it's just the one single wiper that clearly swings in an arc from corner to corner via the mount in the windshield's lower corner. Close inspection seems to show the arm comprises two individual blades, which is likely done to use existing size blades that are more easily replaced. Also, because the shape of the truck is so close to the show model, down to the glass being flush with the hood, the wiper arm sticks out a bit strangely against the otherwise nearly seamless surface.

Also making an appearance are the side mirrors, which were previously seen in another video of a test truck. They look simple and utilitarian, which isn't necessarily a bad thing on a truck. Lighting seems very similar to the show vehicle, though only the concealed lower headlights and the tiny rear taillights were illuminated. Between those headlights are three orange marker lights. These seem to indicate the Cybertruck will be similar in width to trucks like the F-150 Raptor, Ram 1500 TRX and GMC Hummer EV, all of which also have those lights because of federal law requiring wide trucks to have them.

More subtle changes are visible in the fender flares, bumpers and side skirts. The flares seem a bit thicker than before, and they blend better with the bumpers and side skirts. The front bumper also seems to have some air dam added, which is noticeable in the small extensions ahead of the front wheels. This is undoubtedly to improve aerodynamics for more usable range. We also were able to make out cameras in the windshield and B-pillars like other Tesla models, which are there for advanced driver aid systems. Finally, the bed seems to have some cut lines for a panel that likely opens up to a trunk, similar to the Honda Ridgeline and Hyundai Santa Cruz.

Tesla says the Cybertruck will enter production in 2022. When it was first announced, Tesla said it would be available with one, two or three motors and ranges between 250 and 500 miles. Since then, Tesla boss Elon Musk said a four-motor version will be offered along with rear-wheel steering.
Source
Old 12-14-21, 10:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The windshield wiper isn't production

https://insideevs.com/news/553913/el...ertruck-wiper/
Old 12-14-21, 10:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Will be lucky if this thing is for sale in 2023. Way too many advanced and new manufacturing techniques going on it's basically falcon wing doors but apply that radical approach to an entire vehicle lol.
Old 12-14-21, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

All it needs is a motorized tonneau cover
Old 12-14-21, 11:22 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

ugliest vehicle I have seen to date. Seems like something a 3 year old drew. The wheel arches look like an ebay special.
Old 12-14-21, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
ugliest vehicle I have seen to date.
Yep.....close, but it just might (?) take a backseat to the now-discontinued Nissan Juke in the eyesore-department. I used to call it the Nissan Joke.

Old 12-14-21, 06:48 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
ugliest vehicle I have seen to date. Seems like something a 3 year old drew. The wheel arches look like an ebay special.
Looks are subjective, but i 100% agree. Now with Rivian and Lighting, there's no way i would choose cyber-truck.
Old 12-14-21, 07:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I like the Cyber Truck. Quite cool.
Old 12-14-21, 08:47 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Seeing this time around, it actually looks pretty cool

Originally Posted by EZZ
The windshield wiper isn't production

https://insideevs.com/news/553913/el...ertruck-wiper/
When I saw that wiper, I thought of this huge squeegee for the floor

Old 12-15-21, 01:02 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I can't wait to see the production version in person and to drive one! 🙂
Old 12-15-21, 01:05 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I appreciate that this exists but would never be caught in one. That's too attention grabbing, even for me.
Old 12-15-21, 03:26 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Exactly what I pictured; looks weird and not really aero dynamic - prod is pre prod version
Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Seeing this time around, it actually looks pretty cool

When I saw that wiper, I thought of this huge squeegee for the floor

Old 12-16-21, 06:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

i think the cybertruck will be a complete dud by the time it eventually ships, crushed by rivian and ford to name 2 major competitors.
Old 12-16-21, 06:58 AM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the cybertruck will be a complete dud by the time it eventually ships, crushed by rivian and ford to name 2 major competitors.
you under estimate the need for people to stand out in the crowd. There will be tons of buyers that want that attention or are just Tesla fans. IMO there are a subset of Tesla fans that will purchase anything Tesla makes.

The current price is "reasonable" compared to the Rivian as well and wouldn't doubt that it will perform great 0-60....as a truck not so sure. I would bet it sells a lot more than Rivian though.
Old 12-16-21, 07:03 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lets have a friendly bet that (1) it will not be a dud (2) it will outsell every comparable EV truck when it reaches full production. 🙂

Quick Reply: Tesla Cybertruck