EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Absolutely epic Tesla explosion... with Elon inside.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21 | 04:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UZ214
I think that episode they were trying to prove how indestructible that car is. Older Tesla are a headache. One of my friends is already worried his 2016 model S is approaching 70k and he wants to get rid it soon. I was reading somewhere that 2021 about 25% of all cars sold were EV. Tesla is selling like hot cakes.
More like 2%.
Old 12-25-21 | 04:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You think the Tesla cult is weird, the anti-Tesla cult throws a tantrum and blows up cars with Elon manikins inside. Not creepy at all.
Old 12-25-21 | 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You think the Tesla cult is weird, the anti-Tesla cult throws a tantrum and blows up cars with Elon manikins inside. Not creepy at all.
I know I posted a pun earlier, but in all seriousness, when ANY vehicle-cult (or anti-cult) gets to the point where it starts destroying vehicles to try and make a statement......sorry, but that's when it's time to get a life.
Old 12-25-21 | 05:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I know I posted a pun earlier, but in all seriousness, when ANY vehicle-cult (or anti-cult) gets to the point where it starts destroying vehicles to try and make a statement......sorry, but that's when it's time to get a life.
Totally agree.

Also this guy removed the battery pack and probably most everything else because it has substantial value. I wonder how much it cost to buy all the explosives and rig it up.
Old 12-25-21 | 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Totally agree.

Also this guy removed the battery pack and probably most everything else because it has substantial value. I wonder how much it cost to buy all the explosives and rig it up.

Wonder what this insurance company thinks of this stunt, although I'm going to assume that, under these circumstances, he's not going to make a claim, which would be obvious fraud.
Old 12-25-21 | 06:05 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wonder what this insurance company thinks of this stunt, although I'm going to assume that, under these circumstances, he's not going to make a claim, which would be obvious fraud.
LOL you think?
Old 12-25-21 | 06:39 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UZ214
I think that episode they were trying to prove how indestructible that car is.
It's the same thing. They are destroying a car for public entertainment.
Old 12-25-21 | 06:45 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Please. This is a hyped up video he is using to get "like and subscribe". It is all about making money, plain and simple.
Old 12-25-21 | 11:08 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motorola
It's the same thing. They are destroying a car for public entertainment.
Nope.

Tesla : consumer had enough of Tesla's terrible reliability and exorbitant repair bill and destroyed the Tesla out of spite
Toyota : Top Gear wanted to demonstrate how wonderfully and literally bomb-proof Toyota products were build-quality wise and proved it on camera. AAAND the truck was still running after having a few hundred tons of building fall on it.

I mean, some posters can quote me Tesla sales figures/projected sales figures all they like but it's just papering over the terminal disease that's haunting Tesla. It wasn't Toyota or one of Tesla's competitors that paid that Finnish man to blow up his own Tesla.

Fact of the matter is : a Tesla gave such a horrible ownership experience to a legit consumer that rather than moving on quietly, he decided to make a public example of Tesla and on his own initiative.

Like I said before, Tesla enjoyed the first-adopter benefit of having technophiles turn a blind eye to its build quality, QC and maintenance issues. Technophiles make up a tiny proportion of mainstream auto buyers. Once EVs come out with mainstream level build quality, daily-driver functionality and serviceability, for eg those built by Toyota, those mainstream buyers will invariably go to those products which give them the least headaches and which enhance their actual day to day lives rather than the children's trinkets that Tesla builds.

I don't hate Tesla or EVs. I may consider the Genesis GV60 when it comes to my region or a Lexus EV. I'm just dispassionately analyzing Tesla and it's flaws and one glaring fact remains is that Tesla reliability, QC and serviceability is just not ready for primetime, despite being in the market for over a decade.

Last edited by natnut; 12-25-21 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-26-21 | 12:10 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
Nope.

Tesla : consumer had enough of Tesla's terrible reliability and exorbitant repair bill and destroyed the Tesla out of spite
Toyota : Top Gear wanted to demonstrate how wonderfully and literally bomb-proof Toyota products were build-quality wise and proved it on camera. AAAND the truck was still running after having a few hundred tons of building fall on it.

Fact of the matter is : a Tesla gave such a horrible ownership experience to a legit consumer that rather than moving on quietly, he decided to make a public example of Tesla and on his own initiative.
LOL. You're projecting yourself too hard on these guys. They are a YouTube channel solely made to entertain people by destroying cars and other items for views. The same reason Top Gear destroyed a Hilux. Do you think they would do it if people didn't watch it? Using this as an allegory for all Tesla owners is not only a totally gross misinterpretation, it's outright denial of reality.

Oh, guess these guys are your typical Toyota owners...