EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

So i finally drove a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-21, 09:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I've only ever driven Model S.
How was Model 3's agility?
Does it change directions as instantly as a 3 Series, C Class or IS?

How does Model 3's ride compare in terms of compliancy/stiffness, and float/control?
It's about the same as an IS or 3 series. C class isn't as good as those others. Model S is a boat and handling isn't good. I would say my Performance version is about as good as an M340. Nowhere near as good as an M3 but much easier to live with.
Old 12-26-21, 10:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its too bad you didn't get to drive the faster ones. There is a significant difference between the one you drove and a higher spec Performance model.
it was fine for a first drive, and i get you're an acceleration junkie but i'm of the opinion that beyond a certain amount it's more novelty and bragging rights than anything. As i've said before, my LC500 may be slower than your m3p but i don't care.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I've only ever driven Model S.
How was Model 3's agility?
Does it change directions as instantly as a 3 Series, C Class or IS?
i'd say the model 3 is similar. not amazing, but decent. My lc500 handles and definitely steers better, but that's a very different car.

How does Model 3's ride compare in terms of compliancy/stiffness, and float/control?
Ride felt a bit 'loose' and not very sophisticated, much like an economy car. But ok.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
This was a good review of a first time driving the Tesla. Pretty much spot on, IMO.
thank you very much.

Your brake regen comment is 100% normal, but in a short time you will find 1 pedal driving offers far better control of the car. You will love it. Brakes last forever, to boot.
have no doubt i'd enjoy it and appreciate it.

You barely mentioned the minimalist interior. While it works for me, many find it polarizing. Did you try, "I'm cold" ?
only a 10 minute drive, my focus was on driving and the feels / kinesthetic aspects. It was night time too, so didn't look much but one thing i realized is with almost no interior lighting you can't see anything in the center console or anywhere else really while driving.

My biggest problems with Tesla are 2: The car needs HUD and outside mirror BSM. Once you are used to Lexus, these are glaring issues. Unforgiveable!
Good points. Lack of HUD would really be a downer for me since i've had them for years.

Bottom line, driving the Tesla is driving the future.
I think others are catching up fast and exceeding in some ways. Competition is good!
Old 12-26-21, 10:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Not all Model 3s drive the same either. You drive a standard range RWD which rides differently than a long range which rides differently than a Performance. Keep in mind the Model 3 does extremely well in time attacks as it has a very balanced chassis so most reviewers give it praise in handling.
Old 12-26-21, 11:00 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not all Model 3s drive the same either. You drive a standard range RWD which rides differently than a long range which rides differently than a Performance. Keep in mind the Model 3 does extremely well in time attacks as it has a very balanced chassis so most reviewers give it praise in handling.
That big fat pig heavy battery offers such a low center of gravity. The car feels planted.
Old 12-26-21, 11:06 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it was fine for a first drive,
thank you very much.

I think others are catching up fast and exceeding in some ways. Competition is good!
While the Model 3 does not compare well with most ICE in longer trip driving, once you experience starting every day with a full tank, you find it pretty darn cool.
What's funny is you still keep your eye out for cheap gas stations, even though you couldn't put gas in it if you wanted to. You laugh at yourself!

And yes, we as the consumer benefit from competition.
Old 12-26-21, 11:31 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

While I can't see road tripping in my M3P if I did have to run someplace I would try to work in my charging stops around lunchtime and make sure were I was staying for the night had charging for guests.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/
Old 12-26-21, 12:30 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by Soap
While I can't see road tripping in my M3P if I did have to run someplace I would try to work in my charging stops around lunchtime and make sure were I was staying for the night had charging for guests.

In Silicon Valley, many workers charge at work for subsidized rates or even free. I have heard people say, "I never charge at home." Of course these people are in the tiny minority.
Some perspeective employment candidates ask if charging is available at their location... Ha!
Old 12-26-21, 12:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Soap

I love road-tripping the Tesla. I have to stop every 200 miles for a food / bathroom break anyway and takes about 20 min to recharge. Highway autopilot is really good and when I want to weave through traffic, the M3P boogies through effortlessly with instant torque and instant response. You can't believe the gaps in traffic you can get through and weave around. Try it...you will be converted
Old 12-26-21, 12:45 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a friend came over today (on Christmas day, ha) and he'd rented a Model 3 from Hertz. It was a new one with gray trim and the new center console. When i saw it in the drive i asked if i could get a ride in it, he said sure and that he was fine with me driving it. Ok then!

drive time was short (10 mins) with festivities, but i drove it enough to get the feel of it.

the simplest overall explanation of the feeling i was left with was overall how 'normal' it seemed but with several caveats.

By simple i mean i drove it without issue, i was fine with the somewhat aggressive regen braking (you take your foot off the gas and you slow down pretty quickly, which i know is adjustable), i was fine with the steering and basic controls like turn signals.

Back to the beginning, approaching the car, needed help to get in the car and 'start' it. So that part didn't feel normal. Hold the key card against the B pillar (between front/rear doors) to get the car to unlock. Push the 'fat part' of the door handle at the 'back' to make the FRONT thin part stick out which you can pull out to open the door. Not very intuitive at all to me, but obviously something you'd get used to.

to 'start' it, i think it was foot on brake, pull right stalk down to get into D, then off... (?)

The center screen wasn't as bad as i thought, although i didn't operate it at all, since i was concentrating on driving. I do believe that using it WHILE driving would indeed be quite a distraction but it's not a fair evaluation without using it or trying voice commands, etc.

once i got onto a straight bit of empty road i floored it and it's a nice rush of silent acceleration (except wind and some tire noise) that's very linear. When you're going 'fast enough' you just let off and it slows down. That part is fun for sure.

It corners pretty flat, but i thought the steering was pretty bad. It needs variable ratio. The brakes, when you need more braking than the regen provides, felt good.

I found the seats hard and fairly uncomfortable.

my friend said he'd charged it 3 times already and didn't do so where he was staying (fam) because there's no garage 240 outlet, so he went to the big supercharger place in town (we only have one i believe) and he said it was annoying how long it took (30-40 mins each time). He now lives in an apartment and while he'd like a tesla he knows it's completely impractical because he couldn't charge at home.

my friend also showed me some of the 'novelty' features too... the 'christmas mode' where it will play christmas tunes from speakers OUTSIDE the car as well as inside! The stupid fart cushion feature, and the ability to play netflix when parked. None of this impressed me.

Overall it was like a quiet, fast econobox that is definitely not priced like one (probably 50k). It's a amazing feat of engineering and design.

it's certainly an exciting time in car land and i'm thankful i got the opportunity to finally drive an EV and a tesla specifically.

between that drive and videos i've watched recently though, i think i'd rather have one of hyundai/kia/genesis' new ev's (a hyundai ioniq 5, a kia ev6, or a genesis gv60) than the model 3 or y, but i'm not in the market yet. Plenty of time to figure out what's next for me.
Finally!!! 👍👍

My experience driving a 3 was very similar. I had a Model 3 SR RWD and the pros you pointed out were pretty much spot on.

Just to clarify, you don't do anything to "start" or "turn on" a Tesla. The car automatically "turns on" via proximity sensor (fob for the Model S) and via BT from your phone for a Model 3. For the rental or when an owner lends out their 3, you give out a key card which is a bit "clunky" to use.

And as you noticed you just get in (the screen turns on automatically) , place your foot on the brake pedal, shift to D or R and drive away. Tesla got rid of the whole "starting/turning on" process back in 2013. 😁

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its not a curve though is the point. Torque doesn’t peak or drop off like it does with an ICE at different rev ranges. Torque is applied evenly according to throttle input.
If I had to summarize all the pros of owning an EV (from my perspective), just this one trait is what makes me want to go out and drive my S, brings a smile from ear to ear, makes a bad day wonderful, makes life worth living , I could go on all day.... Lol
The 2 misaligned panels and definitions of what constitutes "luxury" for others (that the "S" lacks compared to an S class or Taycan) just fade away into nothing once I hit the go pedal!
Old 12-26-21, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
If I had to summarize all the pros of owning an EV (from my perspective), just this one trait is what makes me want to go out and drive my S, brings a smile from ear to ear, makes a bad day wonderful, makes life worth living , I could go on all day.... Lol
The 2 misaligned panels and definitions of what constitutes "luxury" for others (that the "S" lacks compared to an S class or Taycan) just fade away into nothing once I hit the go pedal!
Totally, it feels like it will pull forever...
Old 12-26-21, 03:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

so what econoboxes does this Tesla Model 3 compare to? Mid spec 330i?
Old 12-26-21, 04:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Model 3's are just not comfortable for me, otherwise I think they are amazing pieces of tech. I also don't like their quirkiness. Model S and X are much more comfortable, but are priced too high. I would say the Hyundai Ioniq 5 would be much more to your liking. I like the infotainment screen much better, and it will be infinitely more comfortable and have a more refined drive than a Tesla. It also has quick charging when using a Fast Charger. There are already several reviews out there on it. When I replace my wife's 2020 Ioniq EV when the lease is up, Ioniq will be one of the top on the list (if I end up not getting the Ford-150 Lightning)

As far as waiting in line for chargers, won't happen. Most EV owners charge at night at home and are fully charged in the morning

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-26-21 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-26-21, 05:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
so what econoboxes does this Tesla Model 3 compare to? Mid spec 330i?
just my perception based on a brief drive, but no, the model 3 did not compare to any bmw i've driven or been in in the last 20 years lol which to me seem incredibly tightly made with precise handling, steering and MUCH better interior materials. the tesla i drove felt not very precise in steering, handling, and certainly not fit and finish, with cheap interior materials, more like an extra fast 90s econobox, a civic or an old mustang or if 'econobox' is too insulting, a 1980s bmw 3 series, lol

the single screen controlling just about everything is about saving money, not providing a great user experience.

let me finish on a positive saying the jewel in the tesla model is the drivetrain. It's GREAT and no doubt as EZZ has mentioned, 3P or S experience is even better.
Old 12-27-21, 11:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I think this is a great review and why I have repeatedly said that “most” people don’t run and buy one after a test drive because its nice but not “OMG i NEED it now”

General public are buying it as more of a fashion statement to “fit in” especially in suburbia and be the “cool” parents on the block.

The people that really do like the Tesla brand get it for its incredible tech features which is unmatched by any other car especially one for $50k.
Old 12-27-21, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think this is a great review and why I have repeatedly said that “most” people don’t run and buy one after a test drive because its nice but not “OMG i NEED it now”
General public are buying it as more of a fashion statement to “fit in” especially in suburbia and be the “cool” parents on the block.

The people that really do like the Tesla brand get it for its incredible tech features which is unmatched by any other car especially one for $50k.
unmatched? unique maybe. we all know fsd/ap is a mixed bag (some love, some don't). fart cushions and games i don't care about. no hud, no aa/ac (which is really a great thing to have and no, tesla doesn't replace it completely at all), yes the tesla offers netflix, maybe youtube i don't know, spotify, etc., but again, a pretty limited selection. if i want to stream my tidal subscription for example, i guess i have to use bluetooth only and still look at my phone anyway? no 360 camera either, etc.

as i wrote, the tesla drivetrain is excellent and of course fast, hats off. the space efficiency is very good too. and supercharger network everything else? ehhh...

Quick Reply: So i finally drove a Tesla