EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

So i finally drove a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 06:37 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Most adults want to be cool in their kids / teenagers eyes hence rise of Tesla even though they have horrendous build quality, service etc.
This just seems really silly to me, but I really can't argue against it seeing how many parents want to be their kids best friends over actually parenting them. But to buy a car to look 'cool' to their kids really blows my mind.
Old 01-01-22, 08:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm going to drive one too. I rode in one years ago. Not sure how that works, a test drive, but there are tons of Teslas around my part of town, noticeable amount. Maybe go to the service center.

The whole gas/brake pedal sounds very strange but I'm sure it's easy to get used to.
Old 01-01-22, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

You can go to the service center, schedule one on line too.
Old 01-01-22, 08:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'm going to drive one too. I rode in one years ago. Not sure how that works, a test drive, but there are tons of Teslas around my part of town, noticeable amount. Maybe go to the service center.

The whole gas/brake pedal sounds very strange but I'm sure it's easy to get used to.
Don't they have a retail showroom at a mall in your area. They may also have a large showroom and service center building too. Contact them for a test drive. Ask for a Performance model too
Old 01-01-22, 08:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Don't they have a retail showroom at a mall in your area. They may also have a large showroom and service center building too. Contact them for a test drive. Ask for a Performance model too
Can you drive them alone and play the Covid card?
Old 01-01-22, 08:43 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

All Tesla test drives are alone. They give you the car for 30 min. They used to give it to you for 2 hours couple years back.
Old 01-01-22, 01:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

We test drove a Tesla 3. They gave us the car and let us be alone. Wildly fun. Super fast. I liked the table in the centre but the absence of a speedometer was not good. Lovely white interior. Wasn't all that much different in quietness if I remember correctly compared to other cars. You could hear more road noise and the tires. The technology was pretty interesting.
Old 01-01-22, 01:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We test drove a Tesla 3. They gave us the car and let us be alone. Wildly fun. Super fast. I liked the table in the centre but the absence of a speedometer was not good. Lovely white interior. Wasn't all that much different in quietness if I remember correctly compared to other cars. You could hear more road noise and the tires. The technology was pretty interesting.
i think with the refresh they're quieter inside now.
Old 01-01-22, 07:45 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

You quickly get used to 1 pedal driving. Once you are used to it, other cars seem lacking...
Old 01-01-22, 11:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Soap
This just seems really silly to me, but I really can't argue against it seeing how many parents want to be their kids best friends over actually parenting them. But to buy a car to look 'cool' to their kids really blows my mind.
You must not have any kids? Haha

Everything is about looking cool and keeping up with the Joneses. Nobody wants to feel left out of the hot new trend.

What these automakers don’t get is ppl are buying Tesla because its Tesla not because its an EV. So just because Audi or BMW will now offer EVs, doesn’t mean ppl will be lining up to buy one as its just another BMW car. Does it have video games, fart mode, sentry mode, other silly crap…

One thing that can potentially hurt Tesla is when everyone has one and ppl want to stand out, but Apple has not run into this issue with iPhones so we shall see.

I think for next 3-5years, Tesla sales will grow at over 100% each year. There is nothing much that can stop them at this point dominating EV segment.
Old 01-02-22, 05:41 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Two boys, 15 (will be 16 in a couple months) and 13.

I can't speak for others but I didn't buy because it was a Tesla, I looked at several EV's available at different price points and in the end this M3P seemed to make sense for what I personally wanted. I really do like the early looks of the IONIQ 5 as well as a few others for maybe my son or something else for my wife down the road. She currently thinks she wants a MY but I don't know about that just yet. I would at this point in time prefer her to get a new Lexus RX if we needed to replace another car soon.

"Does it have video games, fart mode, sentry mode, other silly crap…" I do think these extra things added are pretty silly, although sentry mode does seem interesting in certain situations.

Last edited by Soap; 01-02-22 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-02-22, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

I think for next 3-5years, Tesla sales will grow at over 100% each year. There is nothing much that can stop them at this point dominating EV segment.
great post, but on this point, tesla's likely biggest issue is manufacturing capacity. but i recently looked at the 4m sq. ft gigafactory in texas that's close, and NO ONE else is working to do EVs on that scale. and of course tesla still has fremont, china, and soon Berlin.

Old 01-02-22, 06:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Everything is about looking cool and keeping up with the Joneses. Nobody wants to feel left out of the hot new trend.
t.
This is just not true universally. While many people want to look cool and keep up with the Joneses, some need to new cars, some like the new tech as well the idea of not purchasing gas. The drawback is charging and lots of plugging in and plugging out, but the younger generation do not have as big an issue with it. The Tesla brand has very strong brand cache, and its different from MB/BMW or Audi. A Tesla is cheap to fuel, is totally different, drives very fast and is all over the press. Completely different that the German brands that can be sometimes dreadful to own

One thing that can potentially hurt Tesla is when everyone has one and ppl want to stand out, but Apple has not run into this issue with iPhones so we shall see.
There is no comparison between Tesla and Apple. These comparisons make no sense.

Y
It doesn't matter now much growth Tesla has. What matters is making money and it is profit that matters. The car company that makes the cheapest, and longest lasting product is the company that will win. Tesla recalls have electrified in the last little while, just before New Years 450,00 cars were recalled for something small like a camera mounted on the truck might cause a crash. Tesla is one massive battery recall away from a massive disaster.

Originally Posted by Soap
Two boys, 15 (will be 16 in a couple months) and 13.

I can't speak for others but I didn't buy because it was a Tesla, I looked at several EV's available at different price points and in the end this M3P seemed to make sense for what I personally wanted.
Nice. Your children will be exposed to EV ownership at a young age. They will be EV fans for life ​​​​​​​

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-02-22 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-02-22, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There is no comparison between Tesla and Apple. These comparisons make no sense.
To anybody who follows business and specifically the tech segments, the comparisons between Tesla and Apple make a ton of sense. Tesla is truly the Apple of cars.
Old 01-02-22, 06:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

I can't imagine anything more ridiculously further from the truth than this comment.
What these automakers don’t get is ppl are buying Tesla because its Tesla not because its an EV. So just because Audi or BMW will now offer EVs, doesn’t mean ppl will be lining up to buy one as its just another BMW car. Does it have video games, fart mode, sentry mode, other silly crap…
Right? I bought an EV because it's a Tesla ... ROFLMAO. Clearly you find it hard to believe that a lot of people are buying a Tesla for the following reasons - practicality and space efficiency, the buttery smooth, relentless, completely effortless torque and acceleration regardless of speed, the silence, cheap to maintain and drive on a daily basis, minimalism and tech, easy to travel, convenience of home charging vs. visiting a gas station - I can go on all day. This is coming from a die hard previous ICE owner.

So in this argument, which car company is the Android equivalent?? How can "everyone" have a Tesla??? Omg......

We agree on one point - with the two new car factories coming online as well two new massive battery factories (also in Texas and Berlin) - Tesla will be positioned for a leadership role for a very long time to come.

Quick Reply: So i finally drove a Tesla