EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

So i finally drove a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-22, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla doesn't need credits. Unions were part of the reason General Motors went bankrupt.

Actually, Jill, it was the opposite. GM reached the zenith of their prosperity and market share (60s/70s) at a time when the UAW was also at its strongest, and wages were highest relative the cost of living. As the UAW weakened, GM also weakened with it. That's why Mary Barra was so foolish, a couple of years ago, to close all of those plants and trigger that massive UAW strike, with at least some UNIFOR support in Canada....it cost the company billions. But you couldn't blame it on the Unions...it was squarely on her.
Old 01-02-22, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
In most of the world people drive mopeds, lol. Iphone would be considered a status symbol in many countries, you gift an iphone to a girl, she love you long time, lol.
If I gave a girl a $20 bill in a some places in the world, she would love me
Old 01-02-22, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ

Tesla delivered 936,172 electric vehicles in 2021, with the fourth-quarter setting a new record

I think that's part of the problem with their sub-standard quality control. When you try to build and ship upwards of a million vehicles a year, there just isn't time for adequate inspection of each one. It reminds me of what happened when Chevy sold over 900K Citations for its first model year....1980. They started falling apart before you could get them home from the dealership.

I know.....I owned one.
Old 01-02-22, 11:42 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that's part of the problem with their sub-standard quality control. When you try to build and ship upwards of a million vehicles a year, there just isn't time for adequate inspection of each one. It reminds me of what happened when Chevy sold over 900K Citations for its first model year....1980. They started falling apart before you could get them home for the dealership.

I know.....I owned one.
That is a problem I would love to have!
Old 01-02-22, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That is a problem I would love to have!

...........sure, until you had to foot the bill for the massive warranty costs when the dealerships had to practically rebuild them. We also saw that several years later with the Pontiac Fiero, although that was a much lower-volume car.
Old 01-02-22, 11:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
So why did you buy a Tesla? Why not a Taycan or MachE etc?
You bought it partly because of the cache of being cool. It’s ok, it only natural. People buy Cars for emotional reasons hence why we have Ferrari, Lambo etc. The tech gizmos and 0-60 are all part of the Tesla experience which attract ppl not just because its an EV.

You are taking my statement too literally. I guess when Teslas are dime a dozen which in some areas they already are. Go to any upscale suburb mall and there are a bunch mostly in white or black and all look the same as its really either Model 3 or Y.

Does android even exist still, maybe outside of US? I think Apple has clearly won that battle.
The S looks fantastic and I bought it used to accommodate my budget. Get this, it replaced two vehicles in terms of functionality (space), fun (lots of power) and versatility (AWD) - a 4Runner and a heavily modified Lexus GS. That's how good it is.

Taycan is too small and too expensive. I'm not into crossovers - MachE is not anywhere on my radar.

I think the Taycan looks better than an S (especially in GTS sport Turismo ), but I can't justify spending upwards of $150k on a car.

Buying a Tesla because someone else thinks it's cool has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons I got mine (stated before) and I'm sure most Tesla buyers don't get one just because some people think it's cool.

Last edited by Hameed; 01-02-22 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-02-22, 11:48 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Not to get into an Apple vs Android debate, but I only owned one iphone, and I hate them. They are only useful jail broken. OnePlus any day over iPhone. Although I do own a lot of Apple stock, so I want them to do well
I'm the complete opposite. I have the S20 5G Galaxy and iPhone 13 Pro Max. Hate Android.
Old 01-02-22, 11:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm the complete opposite. I have the S20 5G Galaxy and iPhone 13 Pro Max. Hate Android.
Apple locks you in their ecosystem, and limits what you can do, that includes upgrading memory on their Macs (it's soldered on the MB, how stupid). Android may not be as stable as iOS, but it does 1000 times more. If you buy the right product, like Pixel or OnePlus, Android is just as stable, except your not locked in like Apple products
Old 01-02-22, 12:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Apple locks you in their ecosystem, and limits what you can do, that includes upgrading memory on their Macs (it's soldered on the MB, how stupid). Android may not be as stable as iOS, but it does 1000 times more. If you buy the right product, like Pixel or OnePlus, Android is just as stable, except your not locked in like Apple products
It does everything I need it to do and does it better than Android. I'm not surprised Apple does better in the same segments as Android as people just want ease of use. Customizability is highly overrated to the vast majority.

It's the reason why people like EVs that can't be modified in any way and couldn't give a rats *** if an IcE can be modified to be faster. They want ease of use and a great experience in the things that they use everyday vs the product that can have the ability for corner cases but is sub par in the everyday things.
Old 01-02-22, 12:09 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I think I stumbled upon the wrong thread - an iPhone vs Android thread?? I thought this was about Paul's impression of a Model 3...
Old 01-02-22, 12:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I think I stumbled upon the wrong thread - an iPhone vs Android thread?? I thought this was about Paul's impression of a Model 3...
Are you honestly surprised lol
Old 01-02-22, 12:16 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Are you honestly surprised lol
Not really no I was just being facetious.
Old 01-02-22, 01:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
I know man, these Apple people . On a serious note, I went into an Apple store with a friend of mine, and the rep was telling him Apple products never crash, their invulnerable to viruses etc. I looked at him and asked him if brainwashing was included or an extra charge

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-02-22 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-02-22, 01:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I know man, these Apple people . On a serious note, I went into an Apple store with a friend of mine, and the rep was telling him Apple products never crash, their invulnerable to viruses etc. I looked at him and asked him if brainwashing was included or an extra charge

While not infallible, Apple products, in fact, are much more resistant to viruses or crashing than Microsoft/Windows systems. That is not brainwashing, but a simple electronic fact. My brother tells me that at hi-tech/development company, most of the computer-engineers have Apple products for their personal use, and also rely on them for company use.

I've had both Apple MacBook Air and Sony Vaio / Microsoft-windows Laptops, and I can tell you without a shred of a doubt the MacBook is light-years better in almost every way. Apples may cost a little more, but that money buys quality.
Old 01-02-22, 01:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

They crash MUCH less often, but they do crash.

Quick Reply: So i finally drove a Tesla