EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla charger stations with CCS to start in TX

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-21, 10:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
the CCS connector was not suitable?
At the time I don't think what was available could handle enough current. Not that it matters, if Tesla was all about making a charging network no one else could use because proprietary connector, well do I really need to continue?

I could be wrong but thought I heard Musk at one point said anyone was free to use their connector design.
Old 12-28-21, 10:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

the CCS connector was not suitable?
Tesla connector predates the CCS standard. Don't know why CCS is worse than the Tesla connector.
Old 12-28-21, 11:32 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla connector predates the CCS standard. Don't know why CCS is worse than the Tesla connector.
did it really? the tesla connector seems to have been released in 2012 while CCS was from 2011. But I may be wrong.
Old 12-29-21, 07:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

did it really? the tesla connector seems to have been released in 2012 while CCS was from 2011. But I may be wrong.
https://thedriven.io/2018/10/10/tesla/amp/

Interesting history. CCS as a plug is pretty clunky if you tried it. Tesla's solution is much nicer but I would give it up for a universal standard that could benefit all EVs. A Tesla is the right car for me but I'd rather have a Lexus for the wife if they had a comparable EV with access to a big charging network.
Old 12-29-21, 09:07 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
<confused> i said i saw teslas everywhere in austin and you said you were surprised how few you saw in tx, yet now you say you think you saw the same amount as me.

'we' - you can speak for all tesla owners? anyway, even if all tesla owners are unhappy, maybe they're not looking at a bigger picture since tesla is planning to add a ton of new supercharging stations. also, i've heard it said by tesla fans that tesla is really an 'energy' company, not a car company, well maybe they plan to make most of their money from charging (any brand) and not selling cars. once again this would be similar to apple making a ton of money now from subscriptions like icloud and music, and sales of iphones are less important.
My guess is, what is "Teslas everywhere" in Austin is "few" in Silicon Valley.

Regarding supercharger use, in some areas around here the chargers can be full with Teslas waiting. While the vast majority of owners charge at home, when you need the use of a supercharger waiting is no fun. I doubt anyone likes to wait in charging lines or gas lines.
Did you know, if you leave your car on the charger after completion, you get charged a nasty idle fee? At places of work, the idle fees are higher.
I don't pretend to speak for all owners. But I have been an owner for 3 years and have talked to many owners. Sure Tesla plans to add more chargers; they have been doing that constantly since the Model S debuted.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 12-29-21 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-29-21, 10:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sadly, I see this as the beginning of Tesla going CCS and giving up its proprietary connector which is waaaaay better. First, they will probably have CCS adapters for the current cars and then just switch altogether. CCS is bulky and a s**** solution altogether but it is what it is. At least everyone will be on the same standard.
CSS is definitely bulky, and you have to use a little bit of effort to get both sides in. But that is the is the standard that all other EV makers have adopted, so when in Rome...