EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

tesla 3 performance vs bmw i4 m50 - surprising

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-22, 02:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe they put 'special electricity' in the bmw. 12 seconds is only .3 more than 11.7, basically just reaction time. maybe the drag strip was somewhat slippery.
The reason people are questioning things is mainly because BMW only took the win here with a time that would normally be considered a poor time for the Tesla. While on the on hand it is what it is and they were the times on the day, the fact the Model 3 was modified probably did contribute to the drop in performance. Had that Model 3 been stock and had it delivered a time closer to the times that might normally be expected, it's beaten the i4 by a few car lengths. Maybe it's just that there's fewer clicks in Tesla beats Brand X video than a Brand X beats Tesla video.....
Old 01-03-22, 03:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The reason people are questioning things is mainly because BMW only took the win here with a time that would normally be considered a poor time for the Tesla. While on the on hand it is what it is and they were the times on the day, the fact the Model 3 was modified probably did contribute to the drop in performance. Had that Model 3 been stock and had it delivered a time closer to the times that might normally be expected, it's beaten the i4 by a few car lengths. Maybe it's just that there's fewer clicks in Tesla beats Brand X video than a Brand X beats Tesla video.....
having said that, i've found mr. carwow to be completely in the shorts of german brands, gushing over audis, bmws, and mercedes, no matter what. a quintessential british 'establishment' guy and the irony isn't lost on me (being from there) that brits love cars from a country that sought to destroy them just 70 years ago.

so maybe confirmation bias...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-03-22 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-03-22, 03:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

having said that, i've found mr. carwow to be completely in the shorts of german brands, gushing over audis, bmws, and mercedes, no matter what. a quintessential british 'establishment' guy and the irony isn't lost on me (being from there) that brits love cars from a country that sought to destroy them just 70 years ago.

Indeed! And I'm a fellow ex-pat too. Been here around 22 years now, grew up in Kent and Sussex. You?
Old 01-03-22, 05:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Something is wrong here IMO, Tesla should have won this based on specs. Electrics are very black and white in terms of performance and this one didn't hit its number.
Old 01-04-22, 12:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I think he bought a Tesla for his mum, after testing lots of other European cars... so I dont think he has that kind of bias.
Old 01-04-22, 12:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Something is wrong here IMO, Tesla should have won this based on specs. Electrics are very black and white in terms of performance and this one didn't hit its number.
It was heavily modded with new body and suspension. Probably added weight and bad aero.
Old 01-04-22, 02:10 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

Regardless, it is a bogus video and they knew it. They might have mentioned the Tesla was delivering slower than usual times.
1/2 second is a lot in the quarter mile.
But at least the Beemer guys have a video to cheer about! All good.
Old 01-04-22, 02:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Regardless, it is a bogus video and they knew it. They might have mentioned the Tesla was delivering slower than usual times.
1/2 second is a lot in the quarter mile.
But at least the Beemer guys have a video to cheer about! All good.
I don't think they really even compete as there is a large price difference between the two. Go price out the i4 M50 and you'll be in the $75k range which is significantly more expensive than the $60k Performance model (its actually more inline with the base i4 M40). The premium isn't surprising as BMW is a true luxury brand.
Old 01-04-22, 04:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
It was heavily modded with new body and suspension. Probably added weight and bad aero.
Does that really add a half second? A half is HUGE at those 1/4 ETs, a car that goes .1 faster is literally 2-3 cars ahead at 110mph trap speeds in some cases
Old 01-04-22, 05:07 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Does that really add a half second? A half is HUGE at those 1/4 ETs, a car that goes .1 faster is literally 2-3 cars ahead at 110mph trap speeds in some cases
Honestly, I've never seen a Performance model hit 12s in the quarter before unless they were at low state of charge. Most of them are super consistent between 11.5 to 11.7s. Car wow did a prior race where a Performance model got 11.8s on a wet road.

Doesn't matter really. When the i4 gets in the hands of YouTubers, we will get to see how it stacks up against all sorts of cars.
Old 01-04-22, 05:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, I've never seen a Performance model hit 12s in the quarter before unless they were at low state of charge. Most of them are super consistent between 11.5 to 11.7s. Car wow did a prior race where a Performance model got 11.8s on a wet road.

Doesn't matter really. When the i4 gets in the hands of YouTubers, we will get to see how it stacks up against all sorts of cars.
Yeah for real. I always assume 11.5 whenever I see a 3P since that what they will do, regardless of most conditions or driver.

Did they forget to charge it? I'm not particularly a fan of Tesla cars for myself but I like the company a lot and this is just not accurately representing the 3.

If those odd mods did it then those are not mods, that's rice.
Old 01-04-22, 05:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah for real. I always assume 11.5 whenever I see a 3P since that what they will do, regardless of most conditions or driver.

Did they forget to charge it? I'm not particularly a fan of Tesla cars for myself but I like the company a lot and this is just not accurately representing the 3.

If those odd mods did it then those are not mods, that's rice.
Honestly, i don't really know why you take a Tesla to the drag. It takes no skill to consistently get the 11.5s...just mash the throttle at the light. Drag is usually about custom builds you are proud of and run to see what your build can do. Fast EVs like Teslas are best left to a fun and fast daily
Old 01-04-22, 05:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, i don't really know why you take a Tesla to the drag. It takes no skill to consistently get the 11.5s...just mash the throttle at the light. Drag is usually about custom builds you are proud of and run to see what your build can do. Fast EVs like Teslas are best left to a fun and fast daily
People do, most guys who have them take it at least once. I agree I'm not sure why since it not like they can have a "good one" like you sometimes get with a gas car. I don't even bother taking stock cars out, only when altered does it make any sense IMO.

I have their speed in my head since it's easy to remember and doesn't really change, I keep a "catalogue" of cars that are worth the gas when I'm out to play. Stuff way faster than me or slower I don't bother with unless I want to see how badly I'll lose. The P100D is one I don't mess with yet from a drag but rolls I do take sometimes. 80mpg roles I usually get 1-2 lengths by 150. This year I'm hoping to be able to start messing with them from a standstill but it all depends on how much gain I see from the changes
Old 01-04-22, 05:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

People do, most guys who have them take it at least once. I agree I'm not sure why since it not like they can have a "good one" like you sometimes get with a gas car. I don't even bother taking stock cars out, only when altered does it make any sense IMO.

I have their speed in my head since it's easy to remember and doesn't really change, I keep a "catalogue" of cars that are worth the gas when I'm out to play. Stuff way faster than me or slower I don't bother with unless I want to see how badly I'll lose. The P100D is one I don't mess with yet from a drag but rolls I do take sometimes. 80mpg roles I usually get 1-2 lengths by 150. This year I'm hoping to be able to start messing with them from a standstill but it all depends on how much gain I see from the changes
P100Ds lose speed like most Teslas past 110 mph. The new Plaid overcomes that weakness which is nice. I'm hoping that tech trickles down to the Model 3 when I'm ready to change cars. The Model S is simply too big for my tastes so I doubt I will ever get it. Again, building ICEs is a hobby and taking it to drag is worthwhile...kinda like the Lego car races my kid does at Legoland
Old 01-04-22, 07:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
P100Ds lose speed like most Teslas past 110 mph. The new Plaid overcomes that weakness which is nice. I'm hoping that tech trickles down to the Model 3 when I'm ready to change cars. The Model S is simply too big for my tastes so I doubt I will ever get it. Again, building ICEs is a hobby and taking it to drag is worthwhile...kinda like the Lego car races my kid does at Legoland
They are also great for long trips and not having to rewrite your lifestyle around them lol!

Im surprised you think the S is too big? It's not a very large car in my eyes, though I did start driving will a full size truck so a full size car is small to me. A 3 is just plain tiny in some ways to me, not a bad thing but I'm surprised there is much of a difference to you between a 3 and S

Quick Reply: tesla 3 performance vs bmw i4 m50 - surprising