EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

tesla 3 performance vs bmw i4 m50 - surprising

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-22 | 07:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
having said that, i've found mr. carwow to be completely in the shorts of german brands, gushing over audis, bmws, and mercedes, no matter what. a quintessential british 'establishment' guy and the irony isn't lost on me (being from there) that brits love cars from a country that sought to destroy them just 70 years ago.

so maybe confirmation bias...
He does seem to like the german brands but I did watch his review of the LC500 and he did a pretty honest and good review of it. I find his reviews entertaining because he will race just about anything against anything even if you already know what the result will be. It's fun to watch them go head to head.
Old 01-04-22 | 07:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I find his reviews entertaining because he will race just about anything against anything even if you already know what the result will be. It's fun to watch them go head to head.
he's an enthusiast, but he's also realized drag races score big # of views and are easy to produce.
Old 01-04-22 | 07:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

he's an enthusiast, but he's also realized drag races score big # of views and are easy to produce.
This video already has nearly 1.4 million views!
Old 01-04-22 | 08:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
They are also great for long trips and not having to rewrite your lifestyle around them lol!

Im surprised you think the S is too big? It's not a very large car in my eyes, though I did start driving will a full size truck so a full size car is small to me. A 3 is just plain tiny in some ways to me, not a bad thing but I'm surprised there is much of a difference to you between a 3 and S
If the Model S handled better, I would like it more but the Model 3 is a much more nimble car which I like. To each his own
Old 01-04-22 | 09:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
If the Model S handled better, I would like it more but the Model 3 is a much more nimble car which I like. To each his own

Coilovers? It would work......
Old 01-05-22 | 08:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Yeah for real. I always assume 11.5 whenever I see a 3P since that what they will do, regardless of most conditions or driver.

Did they forget to charge it? I'm not particularly a fan of Tesla cars for myself but I like the company a lot and this is just not accurately representing the 3.

If those odd mods did it then those are not mods, that's rice.
even BMW was charged to 56%... it is fine. lol.
Old 01-05-22 | 09:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't think they really even compete as there is a large price difference between the two. Go price out the i4 M50 and you'll be in the $75k range which is significantly more expensive than the $60k Performance model (its actually more inline with the base i4 M40). The premium isn't surprising as BMW is a true luxury brand.
and of course they compete, absolutely. Additionally, BMW will have bigger discounts and better lease deals compared to MSRP pricing (eventually anyway).

I am sure Tesla will respond, actually there are already rumors of 2022 model having new electric motor, but right now it also brakes better, has way higher top speed (important in Europe) and is faster up to 60-70 mph.
Old 01-05-22 | 11:11 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
Competition is good...at least now it gives Tesla incentive to use the new carbon sleeve motors on the Model 3
Agreed. If it's one thing we can count on, it's that Tesla tends to step to the plate to at least try to answer performance challenges in its main competitive fields (which include speed and range). The more we see the performance gap closing or exceeding their models, the better chance we have of seeing an answer. The good thing is, that answer can also come at any time, since it doesn't rely on a specific product cycle.

So like Porsche before it, fair play to BMW. I want a Model 3 Plaid, so please feel free to wipe the floor with the Performance.

Im surprised you think the S is too big? It's not a very large car in my eyes, though I did start driving will a full size truck so a full size car is small to me. A 3 is just plain tiny in some ways to me, not a bad thing but I'm surprised there is much of a difference to you between a 3 and S
IMO, it's not only that it's physically larger, it's also heavier. The Plaid brought on a new performance category, but the M3P pulled better numbers than the outgoing MSP on the skidpad, even with less tire, for example. And after riding around on sticky 285s in a M3P, it really opens up the cars lateral acceleration.

Since you can't really modify EVs as aggressively as ICE vehicles, for the time being, it makes a fair bit of sense to buy into the performance you want, which could mean less weight or more power, depending on the type of driving you want to do. I think the S offers more blunt speed, but its less of a "drivers car" in other areas.
Old 01-05-22 | 11:30 AM
Jwconeil

Does that really add a half second? A half is HUGE at those 1/4 ETs, a car that goes .1 faster is literally 2-3 cars ahead at 110mph trap speeds in some cases
Not really. I run 12.30s, my close friend runs 11.30s. He is consistently 4 car links ahead of me in the quarter. I trap around 117-119. A difference of .1 in the 11s is maybe half a car length.

This is something we have repeated more than I care to count. We drag race regularly together.
Old 01-05-22 | 12:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Not really. I run 12.30s, my close friend runs 11.30s. He is consistently 4 car links ahead of me in the quarter. I trap around 117-119. A difference of .1 in the 11s is maybe half a car length.

This is something we have repeated more than I care to count. We drag race regularly together.
What his his trap speed? If it's the same or similar to yours that's kidna what I was get getting at. The faster you do the more difference a ET gap makes if you have similar trap speeds.
Old 01-05-22 | 12:42 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

having said that, i've found mr. carwow to be completely in the shorts of german brands, gushing over audis, bmws, and mercedes, no matter what. a quintessential british 'establishment' guy and the irony isn't lost on me (being from there) that brits love cars from a country that sought to destroy them just 70 years ago.

so maybe confirmation bias...
British motoring journalists in general worship German cars- the only thing they blindly worship more are their own Jaaaaaaaags. Even though nobody wants them anywhere else in the world, not even their home country.

Seriously, go look up how many British reviewers call the hum-ho XF a "CLS 4 door coupe competitor." Nothing short of delusional.

That being said, two of my favorite motoring journalists whose opinions I respect, Jay Emm and Rory Reid, are British.

Last edited by Motorola; 01-05-22 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-05-22 | 02:55 PM
xioix
Racer
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Yeah, this race smells fishy. Where did they find this slow Model 3 Performance? Qtr mile times are generally 11.5 to 11.7 seconds at about 115 MPH. 12 seconds? Please. That's closer to the Model 3 Long Range AWD.
Maybe the state of charge was low, the driver was a big boy or those mods killed the aero drag?
Those aeros aren't going to really affect the 1/4 mile time. The wheels and tire would most likely be the biggest reason for the different times.
Old 01-05-22 | 03:19 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

They're all pigs. Comparable ICE cars would run circles these EVs on a track.
Old 01-05-22 | 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ok folks this is an ev vs ev drag race. let's stop talking about modified ice cars because yes, there's always a faster car.
Old 01-06-22 | 08:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

If BMW didn’t have the hideous pig nose grill - it would be a nice car actually.